1 Breakout Candidate From Every VHL Team

Today I will be looking at a breakout candidate from every single team in the VHL. A player from S85 or earlier on every team who has the potential to step up into a higher role and prove themselves as established players. Spoiler alert, there are some teams that had only one option under the criteria, even if the player has already sort of broken out or is not in a prime position to break out. Anyway, if you are on one of these teams and thought your player was in a better position to break out, I apologize as this is fully my opinion. I did try to name some honorable mentions when applicable. Without further ado, let’s get into it.

Calgary Wranglers
Vincent Laroche-Gagnier @vincentlg2007 (S86)

VLG had a slightly different path to the VHL than some others. He spent two full seasons in the VHLM before jumping straight to the VHL. Obviously the competition in the M is the lowest of any of the three leagues, and a sharp learning curve was to be expected for VLG. His rookie season was decent, with 14 goals and 30 points total. However this season I’m expecting a breakout year of at least 55 points, and at a ceiling pushing point per game. Something that would help his point total would be splitting up the 2 elite centers Calgary has in Goncalves and Janser, and putting VLG on one of their lines. On a strong Calgary team, he should be able to get some minutes with top players to help boost point totals.

Chicago Phoenix
Alexander Minion @UnknownMinion (S85)

Minion never really got a chance early in their career. In their first season they were a backup in Los Angeles. However looking at the stats, Minion has some real talent. In 10 games, they went 4-4. Not anything spectacular, except a save percentage of 0.929 and GAA of 2.91. Not top numbers among backups, however on a team like Chicago, who can definitely make some waves, Minion should have an opportunity to have a good first season as a starter.

DC Dragons
Lucas Grey @emidas (S86)

Can Mark Calaway break into the VHL yet? This season has pain written all over it. The team is aging, with only one player on the team S86 or younger. It’s a year for rebuilding and getting more draft capital, and with almost no young players, there’s not really many opportunities for breakout seasons. If I had to choose, Lucas Grey is the single S86 player, so maybe they can break out into a bigger role this year.

HC Davos Dynamo
Lachlan Summers @kirbithan (S86)

Another established contender, another backup turned starter. Summers put up some very good numbers in the games, and she was undefeated in regulation. With Jake Thunder holding down the back end, and the high powered offense, Summers should have a great opportunity to become a certified starter in the league.

Helsinki Titans
Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 (S86)

After a very solid rookie season, Dixon looks to improve this year on a team that is in transition. With veterans Nils Godlander and Matty Fire on his line, he should be able to break out into stardom. Dixon will be a key piece to the future of the Titans, and this season should prove that. I’m expecting a point per game year for Dixon, and if the Titans end up pushing for a playoff spot, he will be the reason why.

London United
Leonard Triller @Triller (S86)

This rookie already looks poised for a great freshman campaign. He exploded for 89 points in 72 VHLE games last season, and was stellar for Team Canada in the World Juniors. Triller will also have one of Igor Molotov or Ivan Retoslav as his centers, both players being proven talents in the league. Triller has shown some great offensive talent, and has some great grit in his game that will make him a tough player to come up against. On a London team that looks to be pushing for a playoff run, Triller should be able to find his step and have a great rookie year.

Los Angeles Stars
Sunglasses Joyo @JetsGoalie101 (S85)

The center is really the only player on the Stars who hasn’t broken out yet. Joyo is stuck behind three other centers on the depth chart, but that means they will most likely get a chance to play on the wing of an established center in the league. As the only player who has yet to break out on the Stars, I’m not sure how good Joyo could be, but a solid 38 point year last year makes me think anything 55 points plus can be counted as a win.

Malmo Nighthawks
Yaroslav Trunov @qripll (S87)

The first S87 player on this list, Trunov had an underwhelming rookie season, but the 6th overall pick definitely has a ton of talent to show off. Coming into the VHL after just one year in the minors became more of a transition season than just a few games. However this year, on a Malmo team that is retooling, Trunov should find himself getting great ice time. This should be a great season for the young winger.

Moscow Menace
Left Alone @okochastar (S86)

Moscow is similar to DC in the way that there really aren’t any players primed for a breakout. However the similarities stop there. Moscow is a contender with strong players all over the roster. So like LA, there’s only really one player left who can break out at this point in their career. Left Alone is a winger who definitely has potential, but after a struggle of a first year in Seattle, they were traded to Moscow hoping for a new start. I think Alone should be able to put up better numbers, though how big the break out could be or if it really happens at all is yet to be seen.

New York Americans
Babay Shrimp @Blazzer (S85)

After a few seasons in the VHLM and VHLE, Shrimp had a pretty respectable rookie year last year, putting up 17 goals and 41 points. I’m expecting her to leap forward in production this year and hit at least the 60 point mark on a New York team with quite a bit of firepower.

Prague Phantoms
Nikolas Kauppi @Tetricide (S85)

Some would argue Kauppi has already broken out. I would agree with you. However on a team with no players left to break out, I circle back to Kauppi, who had a great 54 point effort in his rookie season. Now heading into his sophomore year with two elite centers down the middle, I’m expecting Kauppi to have a fantastic year, probably getting close to point per game and being a great piece of depth for this Phantoms team.

Riga Reign
Skor McFleury @Alex (S87)

Riga has a team full of great young players already. Those of the likes of Daniel Weaver, Sadie St. Louis, and The Frenchman. However those three have already established themselves early into their careers. Honestly McFleury has as well, with a fantastic 42 point rookie season as a defenseman. But I think McFleury will hit the point per game mark at some point in his career, and this season will probably be a big step in that direction.

Seattle Bears
Yaroslav Bogatyrev @Bojovnik (S86)

Funnily enough, the second Yaroslav on this list. While Randy Bobandy is a prime candidate as well, he has arguably broken out more than Bogatyrev. So this season gives Bogatyrev a great opportunity to take advantage of the depth on the Seattle roster and really bump up the point totals. I have him as my most improved player in my predictions, and I think he’ll break 70 points at least.

Toronto Legion
Jimi Jaks @kelvi (S87)

With an honorable mention to fellow S87 draftee Mac Atlas, though Atlas has already had a solid rookie season for the Legion so I believe he is already broken out and will just continue to grow this season. Jaks is coming into the league after putting up fantastic numbers in the VHLM and VHLE, so I’m expecting nothing different in the VHL.

Vancouver Wolves
Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ (S86)

It’s difficult not to look at Vancouver and pick Oreo McFleury or FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist, however I believe these two talented wingers will be big pieces contributing to Kerr’s breakout season. Kerr had a solid rookie year; 44 points in 72 games is nothing to scoff at. However I believe with McFleury and Analfist on his wings, Kerr will have the offensive help to put up some great numbers as the 2nd line center for a contender in Vancouver.

Warsaw Predators
Tim Riggins @Jayhawk (S87)*

Riggins is coming into the VHL pretty early in their development, hoping to make a splash on a Warsaw roster that is very solid and just looking for some depth. Riggins decided to play two VHLM seasons and skip the VHLE, so there could be some worry for inexperience against tougher competition. However Riggins will have some experienced VHL players on their line, so hopefully that will balance it out. Time will tell if Riggins was rushed to the VHL or not, and if a VHLE season would have been beneficial or not.

Good luck this season, let’s see if any of these predictions come true!

*I'm pretty sure Riggins is playing in the VHL this year, but if in any case I'm wrong, whoops.

For Weeks of: 4/9, 4/16, 4/23

Article review:

Well written article, the statistical background given for some of the choices adds to your opinion.  Acknowledging that it is your opinion allows for others to disagree while still giving you the ability to support your thoughts.  I like the fact that you focused on the newer players who are establishing themselves.  We all know the top veterans on the teams, it is great to get to know the young talent who are going to be in the position to sway the quest for the championship. 

I give this article a 9/10, again only my opinion.