S89 Calgary Wranglers Jersey Retirement

Ricer13

:cal:S89 Calgary Wranglers Jersey Retirement Ceremony:cal:

22_Janser_V01.png

Daniel Janser has left his mark as one of the greatest players to ever wear a Calgary uniform. His numbers on the ice during his career speak for themselves: 2nd most career games, 3rd all-time in goals, 4th all-time in assists, 4th all-time in points, and top 5 in hits, shots, and game-winning goalsHe collected a closet full of awards during his career which includes, 2 Kevin Brooks Trophies, 2 Brett Slobodzian Trophies, 2 Mike Szatkowksi Trophies, 1 Scott Boulet Trophy, 1 Scotty Campbell Trophy, a Victory Cup, and finally the Continental Cup. Each award was won as a member of the Calgary Wranglers.

While his on-ice achievements are one of the greatest all-time in the Victory Hockey League, where Daniel Janser excelled was in the locker room. He joined the Wranglers in S82 and by S83 he was a part of the leadership group in Calgary. He would spend two seasons as an Assistant Captain before moving up to Captain in S85 where he led the team for 5 more seasons. He was a true leader of this team for his entire career and was beloved by every teammate that came through our locker room. He is the true definition of what it means to be a Wrangler and we are grateful to have had the chance to have a player like Daniel Janser in our organization. 

Congratulations @Daniel Janser, on a sensational career. The number 22 will now be lifted to the rafters and will join the list of Calgary Wrangler greats! 

Daniel Janser didn't just play for the Calgary Wranglers, Daniel Janser was the Calgary Wranglers during his tenure there. He is as much a legend for this team as Scott Boulet, Sterling Labatte, and Brett Slobodzian, and that's saying something. 

Cheers, my friend. You deserve this moment!!

Well, what can I say? I was lucky to have been drafted into such an amazing franchise as the Wranglers are. I met a lot of very good people in this locker room. I of course hoped for a solid career for my player. I did not expect to get so much recognition and success as I did, and with a first Gen player, too.

Because of the amazing people in the locker room I wanted to contribute to Calgary's success and wanted to make DJ worth the first round pick Calgary spent to acquire him. So I became a max earner for most of DJ's career. I would never have thought that the #22 will be lifted to the rafters, but of course I am humbled and honoured that after 50+ seasons there is a new 'rag' joining Labatte, Boulet, Ryback, Slobodzian, Bunclewirth and Company.

To all Wranglers new and old, and to all the people who supported me, who gave me constructive feedback on my articles (or read them for that matter) or chatted with me occasionally: Thank you so much for giving me your time of the day. It is something of the most valuable things to give, yet it is rarely appreciated. I really do appreciate this community and its members and love to spend time with you folks, while following our imaginary players being screwed by Simon T.

• Commissioner
24 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I am humbled and honoured that after 50+ seasons there is a new 'rag' joining Labatte, Boulet, Ryback, Slobodzian, Bunclewirth and Company.

First Calgary retirement since S35! Coincidentally it makes it the first one to utilize the new logo.

One of my player's biggest role model as an undersized center. Greate career, first balllot hall of famer. It was an honor to play against Janser in the play-offs. Can't wait for the next palyer to dominate!

• Commissioner
20 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Yeah sorry about that...

It had to get made at some point anyway. Just changing a logo out isn't too tricky compared to the initial designs which are all done now anyway aside from Chicago... @badcolethetitan is gonna have to choose someone to be the first so we can finally have a full set.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, McWolf said:

Bushito wasn't a big history buff?

To be fair a lot of teams stopped jersey retirements in the 40’s - 60’s, it wasn’t just Bush. Just most teams since the revival have had some new ones and Calgary just kinda hasn’t.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

It had to get made at some point anyway. Just changing a logo out isn't too tricky compared to the initial designs which are all done now anyway aside from Chicago... @badcolethetitan is gonna have to choose someone to be the first so we can finally have a full set.

Does Chicago not have a number retired?

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, badcolethetitan said:

Does Chicago not have a number retired?

They do not. As far as I’m aware Chicago is the only team to not have a single retirement.

16 minutes ago, Beketov said:

They do not. As far as I’m aware Chicago is the only team to not have a single retirement.

That's actually crazy. I'll retire a number in a couple seasons or so when I've got everything situated.