VSN Presents: The best player from the last round of each draft from S81 to S90

Baby Boomer

image.thumb.png.0b8a70f6ba71e7052874e6f2b921a497.png

@Jason kranz

Welcome everyone,

We are back for another VSN article and this time we will look at something that is often under looked. Indeed, the first few rounds are always popular, but the late rounds are more than often left out. This is why we will be looking at the best player from the last round of each VHLE drafts between S81 and S90. Since all the drafts don’t all have the same number of rounds, sometimes it will be the 5th, the 6th, the 7th or even the 8th round. So, here are the best players from the last round of each VHLE drafts between S81 and S90:

S81 – Gus Bentley – 66th overall by the Bratislava Watchmen

The end of the draft in S81 was a little bit weird, because the draft went to the 8th round, but only two picks out of the ten in the last round were used to pick a player. All the other picks were passed. Since, none of the two players drafted in the 8th round reached the VHLE, I decided to use the second-to-last round only for this draft, which was the 7th round. Three players of the 7th round reached the VHLE including Gus Bentley @boatsinking123, CDS Leb @CDS_Leb and Daniel Clarke @Danzo. Gus Bentley was definitely the most successful of them all as he won two Reconnaissance Cup in S83 with the Bratislava Watchmen and in S85 with the Oslo Storm. In the regular season, Bentley scored 56 goals and added 62 assists for a total of 118 points in 216 games from S83 to S85.

S82 – Minou Lambert – 52nd overall by the Bratislava Watchmen

In S82, the VHLE entry draft went to the 7th round and four players that were drafted in this last round reached the VHLE, Anton Bielas @Shawner40, Minou Lambert @Minoulambert23, Freddy Freeze @G_Rush and Shawn Young @shaun1979. All around, they had pretty similar career, so it is hard to decided which one was the best, but Minou Lambert has higher numbers mainly because he had a longer career in the VHLE. In 281 games from S83 to S88, he had 58 goals, 105 assists and a total of 163 points.

S83 – Brodie Landry III – 52nd overall by the Istanbul Red Wolves

Once again, the S83 VHLE draft went to the 7th round and four players played in the VHLE after being draft in the last round, Brodie Landry III @Brodie_Landry, barry bigman @barryst, Juhnu Anttonen @Juhnuxand Alexandre Forgues @Alex99. Out of all of them, Brodie Landry III is definitely the best player as he won two Renaissance Cup with the Oslo Strom in S85 and S86. Originally draft by Istanbul and then traded to Oslo before the start of his VHLE career, Landry III played with the Storm his entire VHLE career from S85 to S87. He had a record of 32 goals and 138 assists for a total of 170 points in 216 games as a defenceman.

S84 – Pierre Emile Bouchard – 43rd overall by the Stockholm Vikings

Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito and Evan Bihler @Eb14 are the only two players that were draft in the last round of the S84 VHLE draft and made it to the VHLE. Evan Bihler had an incredible career in the VHLE as he won the Orion D H Chiester IX Trophy for the top goalie and the Ronan Lavelle for the MVP of the regular season, both in S89 with the Istanbul Red Wolves. However, what is really impressive about Pierre Emile Bouchard’s pick is that he was almost already a capped player (398 TPE) when he got drafted. This means that he should have been a first round pick normally.

S85 – Henry Eagles – 47th overall by the Bratislava Watchmen

The S85 draft went to the 6th round, but this time only one player made the VHLE after being drafted in the last round and his name is Henry Eagles @Greg_Di. If you look at the stats (11g, 14a) of

his only season in the VHLE, you say to yourself that you understand why he was a 47th pick overall, but when you look at his number of TPE (385) when Bratislava drafted him, you start to wonder why he got drafted so low in the draft. Indeed, Eagles is currently in the VHL, and he is having a pretty good career.

S86 – Keon Jeannot – 46th overall by the Cologne Express

S86 had a really good last round as five out of the eight players drafted in the 6th round made the VHLE one day, Keon Jeannot @Lucas anton, Fuukka Rask @Jubis, Timothy Swearingen @Timmy30, Ross Glagau @Zetterberg and antonio marchand @Tapirman. Even if they all had great careers in the VHLE, we can say that Keon Jeannot had a bit of a better one as he won the Renaissance Cup in S89 with the Cologne Express. In two seasons with Cologne (S88 and S89), Jeannot scored 46 goals and added 54 assists for a total of 100 points in 144 games.

S87 – Nick Sansoe – 36th overall by the Istanbul Red Wolves

The S87 VHLE entry draft only had five rounds and three players made it out of the VHLM, Skor McFleury @Alex, Vasteras Iron Eagles legend Mac Atlas @v.2 and Nick Sansoe @Tipskid97. However, only Nick Sansoe played in the VHLE during his career. He had an average first season in S89 with the Istanbul Red Wolves before playing with the London United in the VHL in S90. He came back in the VHLE for another season in S91, this time with the Rome Gladiators, and he destroyed everything in the league, with a record of 44 goals and 50 assists for a total of 94 points.

S88 – Davis McLirath – 45th overall by the Geneva Rush

The 6th and last round of the S88 VHLE entry draft was not an incredible one. Indeed, only Davis McLirath @Try_Me678 played in the VHLE at some point in his career. He played 72 games in S90 with the Oslo Storm, and he had 6 goals, 13 assists and 19 points.

S89 – Baby Moo Moo – 39th overall by the Cologne Express

Four out of the eight players drafted in the 5th round of the S89 draft eventually played in the VHLE, Baby Moo Moo @Elvis, Med @Med, Bryce tyrone Johnson @BryceP and Miroslav @Zyrok. All of them are still in the VHLE and are going on with their career, but only one of them won something in this league. Indeed, Baby Moo Moo won the Renaissance Cup in S90 and S91 with the Cologne Express.

S90 – Vladimir Kozlov – 47th overall by the Oslo Storm

The S90 draft class is still very young, so zero player of the 8th round played in the VHLE at this moment. However, Vladimir Kozlov @vladbatton is currently on the roster of the Oslo Strom and is expected to play in the VHLE in S92. Trey Daniels @Tdan04 is another player who is close to play in the VHLE.

Thanks everyone for reading, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and see you in another VSN article.

4 hours ago, Baby Boomer said:

However, what is really impressive about Pierre Emile Bouchard’s pick is that he was almost already a capped player (398 TPE) when he got drafted. This means that he should have been a first round pick normally.

I skipped the VHLM as I only played 14 games after recreating with Saskatoon Wild in S82 on our way to the Founder`s Cup and signed as a UFA into the VHLE the next season (S83) so when I was drafted into the VHLE I was already capped and I went straight into the VHL with New York, who drafted me 5th overall. So, while I might qualify since I was drafted last in the VHLE in S84; I never played for Stockholm in S84 or after I was drafted!! Even though Thad had tried hard to convince me to stay down another season. I was already at 400+ shortly after being drafted.

Good read overall.

Edited by Gaikoku-hito