VSN Presents: TOP 10 Players of the S92 UFA Class

VHLLogocopy.jpg.2fbce37a77e0af88a370ebd1ecc0afb7.jpg

TOP 10 Players of the S92 UFA Class

Here we are for most Christmas morning as I write this article and I can already see most of the GM in the VHL peeking a look at all the nice UFA hanging by the tree. Sadly, they will need to wait another week before they can sign anyone from this list so lets take a close look at which UFA should be in high demand next week should they make it to the UFA market:

1.     Defenseman - Skor McFleury  @Alex                     (Re-signed)(Traded to Calgary)

72 GP – 22G – 67A – 89Pts

McFleury baring a miracle will be testing the market this off season and the fact that he was one of the top offensive defenders last seasons; he should have a ton of the GM around the league considering the tastiness that bring him to their franchise might bring. If my old age memory also serves me correctly McFleury also announced during a press release that he would be willing to sign long term as long as the team is consider a contender.

2.     Center - Jasper Davis @Josh                (Re-signed)

72 GP – 39G – 66A – 105Pts

Reason why Davis isn`t at the top of the list is simply down to the fact that I don`t think he makes it to the market as new appointed GM STZ will likely try everything to sign Davis in the final week. His success and asking price might keep some of the team out of the market for his services should he actually reach market but most will still be rattling the box.

Bit torn as whom I should have rated at the number three spot in this list due to the fact that it really comes down to team needs during the market period but I have decided to go with a young trio that have won the Continental Cup this past season and could be looking for a bigger responsibility:

3.     Right winger - Harry Callahan  @dstevensonjr                (Re-signed)

72 GP – 24G – 31A – 55Pts

Callahan had a really strong rookie season with Toronto with the retirement of Tomas Sogaard; one would think that he would have a much larger role with the Legion but He might want to try his luck elsewhere. Either way; If he does reach market at the end of the week than a ton of GM will be lining up to see if they can acquire his services.

4.      Right winger - Montgomery Burns @LastOneUp

72 GP – 16G – 29A – 45Pts

The big power forward improved his numbers in his sophomore season as he continues to find his footing in the VHL. Similar situation as Callahan as he should be taking on a larger role with the team next season but instead seems to be walking to the market; where a ton of GM will be interested in his services should he reach the market. As his current TPE also suggests (649TPE)

5.     Center - Diego Machado @Dadam30                  (Re-signed)

72 GP – 18G – 32A – 50Pts

The last of the three Legions is Machado but his services will also be clearly in demand if Toronto cannot convince the young forward that his best chance at winning the cup still lays with them. Should be interesting to see if he does reach the market or if he does end up resigning in Toronto; only time knows.

These next two could have been higher on the list but due to the nature of the beast or how GM like to look more towards the future of the team rather than a short window of a single season or two; I have these two slotted lower but could be in high demand by teams looking to compete this season.

6.     Center – Sjin  @Sjin

72 GP – 21G – 23A – 44Pts

Played a large role last season in London on the second line and should really stay center of the second line after London went out last season and traded for Wann Kerr from Vancouver so is Sjin looking for more ice time? Well, if they are than expect them to hit the market next week. If they do reach market they should have a few teams interested in their services and could be playing a much larger role.

7.     Right winger - Babay Shrimp @Blazzer                (Re-signed)

72 GP – 25G – 66A – 91Pts

Crazy to think this player; if I remember correct was also on last year’s list but with Riga heading into a much younger team next season, it is expected that Shrimp will be looking for his 5th team in the past four season. He played a large role in the success of the Reign last season so he should have a few teams lining up for his services. It will be interesting if they sign another single season contract or look for a contract to finish out their career with a team.

8.     Defenseman - Tater Tottingham  @Trunkxolotl            (Re-signed)

72 GP – 22G – 35A – 57Pts

Having spent the past two season with the rebuilding Warsaw Predators and tying his career high in goals last season that he set the previous season should have some team that are looking for a veteran presence to show a ton of interest in the second-best defender remaining should he actually reach the market. Again, it will be interesting to see if he looks for a single season contract or looks for a career finish contract.

9.     Goaltender - Geoff Bezos @Quik

64 GP – 30W – 26L – 8OTL      2.55GA   0.927Sav%    4SO

With less teams than last season looking for a goaltender this off season means that Bezos is lower down the list, not to mention his team last season will try hard to keep his services and will work the clock right until the late hours to try to retain his services. Should Bezos reach the market a few teams should be interested in his services.

10.  Defenseman - Nils Andersson @Viper                   (Re-signed)

72GP – 21G – 28A – 49Pts

Interest choice for my last UFA player due to the fact that in the past few weeks he announced that he will switch from forward to defense meaning he is entering the season as an unknown but should get interest due to his age and the fact that defenders could be in high demand for teams. One would assume that a contract from Moscow would have followed the announcement but the more days pass the more likely Andersson will find his way to market. Could be an interesting experiment for another team!

As usually before I even post this my guess is a few of these names might have resigned with their former teams making the list much short as current list now sits at forty-ish players looking for new contracts next season as thirteen of the players have done in the past week or so since I started following the UFA class forcing many changes to this list. We have already seen a ton of movement this off season and few big trades so this should make the UFA market more interesting as the power of the league is clearly shifting this off-season.

Edited by Gaikoku-hito