VHL New Year’s Resolutions - 2024

18 hours ago, Offbeat_voyage said:

I would like to see an editiable player page so we can write about our player and flesh them out more as a person and note where they first started playing, how they felt about a loss and responses to interviews. I know it is a simulattion but i want flesh out these people and make more then just names by being given a space to write about them in a players page

Yup I love this and have been thinking about this but forgot to add it. Being able to add links to articles related to your player would be great - like an index. This would also potentially increase forum traffic. Also, the ability to add jersey numbers.

Also, can there be a Career Task checklist so when we claim one on the portal, it ghosts it on the dropdown or there's a list that gets marked? I can't remember how many I've done most of the time and it's a lot of scrolling through the update log to find them.

• Commissioner
On 1/6/2024 at 9:38 PM, emidas said:

But since I'm here, for the love of god, allow variable increment spending on the manage player page. Having to press the plus button over and over and over again is torture.

- An old man

image.png

👀

I was going through this thread, saw this comment:

and was thinking... What if we had something like TPE "bounties"? I don't know what the demand would be, and it would probably be fairly infrequent. When an opportunity like this comes up that one or two people could do that benefits the community, I agree we should offer TPE in exchange for their contributions. It would strictly be bounties posted by Staff/Admins with requirements explained in full and TPE payout listed. Completion would be verified and "rubber-stamped" by the Staff member who posted the bounty, and @v.2 as head of PT would approve the TPE submission (just a suggestion...makes sense in my head). The bounties would be stuff like what's mentioned in the linked comment -- something that isn't what you can normally claim for a task or job, not that easy to do, time consuming, and contributes to the community or the forum in a positive light.

I feel like this could open up really good opportunities for both long-time and new-found members. 

Edited by Tetricide

1 hour ago, Tetricide said:

and was thinking... What if we had something like TPE "bounties"? I don't know what the demand would be, and it would probably be fairly infrequent. When an opportunity like this comes up that one or two people could do that benefits the community, I agree we should offer TPE in exchange for their contributions. It would strictly be bounties posted by Staff/Admins with requirements explained in full and TPE payout listed. Completion would be verified and "rubber-stamped" by the Staff member who posted the bounty, and @v.2 as head of PT would approve the TPE submission (just a suggestion...makes sense in my head). The bounties would be stuff like what's mentioned in the linked comment -- something that isn't what you can normally claim for a task or job, not that easy to do, time consuming, and contributes to the community or the forum in a positive light.

I feel like this could open up really good opportunities for both long-time and new-found members. 

I know I literally just joined the forum so my noob voice doesn’t carry much weight, and frankly I don’t know the history enough to make any serious case, but I saw the above article today and was really intrigued by the idea of VHL Magazine.  So here’s my two cents.

As you suggested, it might open up more earning opportunities for those who want to write articles or help with editing and formatting, creating graphics, etc…  

On top of that, it might be a good way to recap the history of the league and sort of immortalize it in a way that’s easy and fun to read through.  It might also give more incentives for people to write articles outside of point tasks with the goal of having them published in the Magazine.  

Again, not really knowing why the Magazine was discontinued, I can only assume it’s because it was an onerous task for those involved in producing it that just wasn’t feasible to continue.  Perhaps incentivizing community involvement helps?  And what if it was more of a year book of sorts, or maybe a new issue could come out every 3-5 seasons (pick a healthy interval), giving time for new generations of players to cycle up, old ones to retire and be recognized, major storylines to be chronicled, records noted and updated, etc… I Just think it would be a fantastic way to visualize and preserve league history, and also make it more accessible to new users like myself.  

I must admit, it is a bit daunting to look at 91 seasons of history and not know where to begin.  A Magazine/yearbook might just give people a place to start. It’s a shame that all the old issues aren’t available.

If it’s a matter of finding interested individuals to start it back up, just putting it out there that I’d be very happy to help as I’ve had experience with producing newsletters, both editing articles and formatting.  It’s a project I’d be very keen to be a part of.  Obviously, it would be important to establish a manageable schedule for release as I think doing one every season might become tedious if it’s just a small team of editors.

Edited by LucyXpher

24 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

f it’s a matter of finding interested individuals to start it back up, just putting it out there that I’d be very happy to help as I’ve had experience with producing newsletters, both editing articles and formatting.

Hi Lucy,

We do have a body (The VSN) which pushes out regular Forum Content. From mock drafts, to season previews to award 'shows' or the occasional history tit-bits. If you are interested in joining them, get in touch with the head of VSN @Alex. I dare say they always welcome new talents, be it for writing or making graphics for their articles.

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Hi Lucy,

We do have a body (The VSN) which pushes out regular Forum Content. From mock drafts, to season previews to award 'shows' or the occasional history tit-bits. If you are interested in joining them, get in touch with the head of VSN @Alex. I dare say they always welcome new talents, be it for writing or making graphics for their articles.

Thanks for that info!  I’ve been through the VSN pages and they definitely do a good job of covering the league.  I may just have to get in touch with Alex at some point and see if i can contribute.  That said, I still think there’s something charming about the magazine format, especially after seeing some examples that were linked in the post above.  

9 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Thanks for that info!  I’ve been through the VSN pages and they definitely do a good job of covering the league.  I may just have to get in touch with Alex at some point and see if i can contribute.  That said, I still think there’s something charming about the magazine format, especially after seeing some examples that were linked in the post above.  

I think we had a (shortlived) magazine dedicated to the VHLM, but it fizzled out for reasons unknown to me (my guess would be lack of time of the contributors). I am sure Alex is open to new ideas, as we as a community would like to have more quality forum content (not saying we do not have same, but we can always improve).

30 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I think we had a (shortlived) magazine dedicated to the VHLM, but it fizzled out for reasons unknown to me (my guess would be lack of time of the contributors). I am sure Alex is open to new ideas, as we as a community would like to have more quality forum content (not saying we do not have same, but we can always improve).

@nurx and @leandrofg ran the most recent version of it under VSN. Essentially we tried to shift the whole thing to have more individual content straight on VSN, shed a bit more light on the writers, give the graphics team more opportunities, and so on… I’ll admit that plan didn’t really work. I would be open to getting it going again. My main concern as always with anything VSN related is burnout as the tight deadlines can be tough.

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, Tetricide said:

We’ve never given it a formal name but that has long been a thing. Back in the day I made multiple themes for the forum and was paid for them in TPE for example. Same as how several of our logos have been paid for in TPE. If we need something done TPE payment isn’t uncommon.

Its become less of a thing for two reasons: first that we’ve just needed less and less as the years have gone by and second that people have become more and more reluctant to approach us with stuff. Like staff isn’t always going to come up with ideas. It used to be very common for someone to just say “hey I want to do this thing, if I do it well could I get some TPE for it.” Hell that’s how stuff like the VSN and Junior Showcase started.

We are more than willing to pay TPE to get things done and always have been really.

20 hours ago, Alex said:

@nurx and @leandrofg ran the most recent version of it under VSN. Essentially we tried to shift the whole thing to have more individual content straight on VSN, shed a bit more light on the writers, give the graphics team more opportunities, and so on… I’ll admit that plan didn’t really work. I would be open to getting it going again. My main concern as always with anything VSN related is burnout as the tight deadlines can be tough.

yeah I got really burned out with that it needs to be a group project with tight deadlines and that can be difficult