VHL New Year’s Resolutions - 2024

1 hour ago, UnknownMinion said:

engaging there players isn't fair, I gmed there for three season, and tried really hard to be engaging and what not, I belive everyone does a fantastic job for what I've seen, but feel free to be a gm there instead and show them what they are doing wrong 

Just following up on the engagement between you and Sam, I believe the same can be said about the VHLM. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm sure at least half the M GMs are doing their job of interacting with their players and checking in with them. At least I hope this is the case, if not most of us. It just sucks when you read about a waiver player that was on your team who was then drafted to a ghost town team whose GM doesn't care and is somehow able to claim job pay every week. Last week I sent out an interview to everyone on the draft list that hadn't played for Miami already. Zero excuses this season not to scout any players. I was told by a former player that only one VHLE team reached out to him, which is awful because he's a recreate and is maxing TPE every week. I was told by two players last week in my interviews that I was the only M GM to reach out. M GMs simply do not have any excuse for the 4 TPE we're receiving every week.

Shit or get off the pot.

36 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

Just following up on the engagement between you and Sam, I believe the same can be said about the VHLM. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm sure at least half the M GMs are doing their job of interacting with their players and checking in with them. At least I hope this is the case, if not most of us. It just sucks when you read about a waiver player that was on your team who was then drafted to a ghost town team whose GM doesn't care and is somehow able to claim job pay every week. Last week I sent out an interview to everyone on the draft list that hadn't played for Miami already. Zero excuses this season not to scout any players. I was told by a former player that only one VHLE team reached out to him, which is awful because he's a recreate and is maxing TPE every week. I was told by two players last week in my interviews that I was the only M GM to reach out. M GMs simply do not have any excuse for the 4 TPE we're receiving every week.

Shit or get off the pot.

I will also say some m gms need to step it up. I drafted someone to the vhl s91 draft and they were never taught how to properly earn by their gm. they found PF and welfare by chance essentially. Its a league-wide gm problem not just one league. id actually love to see more gms get the boot lol. if they aren't doing their job let them go. I guess it can be hard to check to see if a gm taught their players but I mean commishes could theoretically go around to each team and pick 1 or 2 random players and say hey, just want to make sure your gm has helped you, any questions etc etc.

10 hours ago, Beketov said:

Ah, gotcha, I read it wrong. I plead that I was being dragged around a toy store by a toddler at the time..,

Ah, gotcha, I read it wrong. I plead that I was being dragged a toddler around a toy store by a toddler at the time..,

As a father of two, I fixed this for you ;)

• Commissioner
24 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Ah, gotcha, I read it wrong. I plead that I was being dragged a toddler around a toy store by a toddler at the time..,

As a father of two, I fixed this for you ;)

You’ve clearly never seen the energy levels and bossiness of the toddler in question. I was most certainly not the one in control, purely survival mode.

okay so I am going to throw a strange curve ball out.  Please don't everyone shoot me down before fully reading.  My idea is that we allow people to have 2 players but only if they meet this specific criteria.

1) The original player must be in the VHL and must be in their final 2 seasons.

2) The players may never be in the same league (meaning player can't skip VHLM or VHLE)

Under these conditions a VHL player could be in season 7 and have a VHLM player

Then as the VHL player hits 8th and final season, the second player hits the VHLE.

The VHL player retires and the second player can move to the VHL

This does a couple things, 1 it adds a few more players to teams in the lower leagues second it helps to deal with the frustration of not seeing your player improve as you are only banking TPE to combat depreciation.  For some of us this is a real struggle.  

Let me put it this way, knowing you have hit your max build in about year 5 and knowing that you need to bank TPE to combat depreciation but watch your player get their ass handed to them by Daniel Janser for seasons without being able to do anything about it, kind of sucks.

I don't have all the answers on how you would monitor this in relation to illegal multi's, manage it from a system perspective (one log in, multiple players) It is just a thought.

19 hours ago, UnknownMinion said:

engaging there players isn't fair, I gmed there for three season, and tried really hard to be engaging and what not, I belive everyone does a fantastic job for what I've seen, but feel free to be a gm there instead and show them what they are doing wrong 

I'm already a gm bud. You can say everyone is doing a fantastic job but when I'm hearing multiple people not getting scouted and being put in dead LRs, I'm gonna criticize y'all. GMs aren't even reaching out to their players at times. Last season a player got traded and didn't hear from their new GM for like a week.

4 minutes ago, JCarson said:

okay so I am going to throw a strange curve ball out.  Please don't everyone shoot me down before fully reading.  My idea is that we allow people to have 2 players but only if they meet this specific criteria.

2) The players may never be in the same league (meaning player can't skip VHLM or VHLE)

Then as the VHL player hits 8th and final season, the second player hits the VHLE.

This does a couple things, 1 it adds a few more players to teams in the lower leagues second it helps to deal with the frustration of not seeing your player improve as you are only banking TPE to combat depreciation.  For some of us this is a real struggle.  

Let me put it this way, knowing you have hit your max build in about year 5 and knowing that you need to bank TPE to combat depreciation but watch your player get their ass handed to them by Daniel Janser for seasons without being able to do anything about it, kind of sucks.

I don't have all the answers on how you would monitor this in relation to illegal multi's, manage it from a system perspective (one log in, multiple players) It is just a thought.

Funnily enough, there was at one point a pretty intense debate on this exact subject. Otehr leagues have done it before in varying capacities, and its always interesting to say the least!

10 hours ago, Beketov said:

You’ve clearly never seen the energy levels and bossiness of the toddler in question. I was most certainly not the one in control, purely survival mode.

The toddler takes after your wife and not you, I'm guessing? 😉

Edited by animal74

50 minutes ago, JCarson said:

I think from a multi stand point if you could have two players on a single account it wouldn't be an issue. The main point of multiple accounts would still be disallowed and could be monitored the way it already is.  Although idk how feasible the general idea is with how portal works. I don't dislike the idea in general though. I think there would just be alot to work out.

56 minutes ago, JCarson said:

I actually really like this. Some people really don’t like the depreciation stage (I know @Berocka has brought up before that it’s boring) and I think it would be nice to have some improvement to keep an eye on to take away from the arguably stupid “work hard just to stay level” part. 

It’s a sweeping enough change that I think it would be difficult to get everyone to agree, though, and there’s historical precedent against something similar. Search up “Project Player Two” for stuff about a brief period in league history where (for “we have no members” reasons) people were briefly allowed a second player in general. I won’t comment on why, because I don’t actually know, but it didn’t work super well. My best guess is that it leads to fewer people per team and that’s not very desirable from a locker room standpoint. 

But from an individual player perspective, speaking about what would get me an enjoyable experience as a member, I’d love this. I think “fewer people per team” is a fair argument and I don’t love what it does to our development leagues (I’d imagine that recreates would hang around in the M even less if they still had their player established outside of it). But it’s one of my favorite creative suggestions in this thread nonetheless. 

18 minutes ago, samx said:

I think from a multi stand point if you could have two players on a single account it wouldn't be an issue. The main point of multiple accounts would still be disallowed and could be monitored the way it already is.  Although idk how feasible the general idea is with how portal works. I don't dislike the idea in general though. I think there would just be alot to work out.

Also this would be doable from a portal standpoint—GMs used to have two players on the same account, one that was tied to their own team (something that the league got rid of right before I was hired; the so-called “Davos curse” was just an anti-Gustav conspiracy). 

I’m a much bigger fan of suggesting portal work than I am of thinking about the amount of time it takes to do portal work, though, so I’ll try to recognize that a sweeping change to that side of things is another potential drawback. I’m not sure I see this happening because the league generally likes to believe that its big changes are necessary rather than just fun. But if I could snap my fingers and try it instantly with no harm done, I’d absolutely do it. 

2 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Also this would be doable from a portal standpoint—GMs used to have two players on the same account, one that was tied to their own team (something that the league got rid of right before I was hired; the so-called “Davos curse” was just an anti-Gustav conspiracy). 

I’m a much bigger fan of suggesting portal work than I am of thinking about the amount of time it takes to do portal work, though, so I’ll try to recognize that a sweeping change to that side of things is another potential drawback. I’m not sure I see this happening because the league generally likes to believe that its big changes are necessary rather than just fun. But if I could snap my fingers and try it instantly with no harm done, I’d absolutely do it. 

Yeah I'm the same way where I'm like ADD ALL THE PORTAL THINGS.... forgetting that Josh is the only one who maintains it. I think it would be nice in a time like this where numbers are low but ideally if we get enough people from upcoming ads it feels less needed even though it would be fun to add. 

I did know about the old 2 player system but I thought that was preportal days so easier to manage but I am probably mistaken on that part.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, samx said:

Although idk how feasible the general idea is with how portal works.

Unless the code has been somehow removed the portal is actually built to allow multiple players. GM’s were a holdout of the 2 player era for awhile and still had 2 when the portal started so the system does exist.

Not saying I necessarily agree with going back to 2 players (it had various issues) but the portal would likely be fine.

4 hours ago, JCarson said:

The issue with this is a max earner would be able to claim over 400 TPE within the 2 seasons, and would therefore need to sabotage their own claiming to fit within the criteria

40 minutes ago, Grape said:

The issue with this is a max earner would be able to claim over 400 TPE within the 2 seasons, and would therefore need to sabotage their own claiming to fit within the criteria

Not sure how that is an issue.  Season 1 they build and gather to the max 200TPE applied banking any remainder (VHLM season) next season they keep accumulating and gather up to 400TPE applied, banking anything else gained (VHLE season) they move up to the VHL and can apply all that is banked potentially being close to 500 TPE as their first VHL season starts.  They still play 2 seasons in the minors but you are correct they will claim over 400TPE before their third season and first in the VHL.

39 minutes ago, JCarson said:

Not sure how that is an issue.  Season 1 they build and gather to the max 200TPE applied banking any remainder (VHLM season) next season they keep accumulating and gather up to 400TPE applied, banking anything else gained (VHLE season) they move up to the VHL and can apply all that is banked potentially being close to 500 TPE as their first VHL season starts.  They still play 2 seasons in the minors but you are correct they will claim over 400TPE before their third season and first in the VHL.

The issue is that they get past the 400 TPE cut-off before the cut-off date. One can even pass the 20p TPE cut-off before the date for the M. The only way for some max earners to fulfill the requirements is to sabotage their own claiming so they stay under the cut-off, when they could surpass and skip a league.

In theory they wouldn't be allowed to apply the tpe.  They would stall that at 400 and have past that in the, since they have an active player in the vhl.

Anyway, would be cool to see more stats on team scoring, league leaders and player pages.  Maybe some font or formatting changes for the aesthetic, maybe some color.  It looks a bit tame for my taste but I speak for myself only.  Perhaps some profile picture/jersey number on the player page could be cool.  There's my suggestion for the resolution for 2024.

17 hours ago, emidas said:

But since I'm here, for the love of god, allow variable increment spending on the manage player page. Having to press the plus button over and over and over again is torture.

- An old man

Food Bae GIF

I would like to see an editiable player page so we can write about our player and flesh them out more as a person and note where they first started playing, how they felt about a loss and responses to interviews. I know it is a simulattion but i want flesh out these people and make more then just names by being given a space to write about them in a players page

2 hours ago, Offbeat_voyage said:

I would like to see an editiable player page so we can write about our player and flesh them out more as a person and note where they first started playing, how they felt about a loss and responses to interviews. I know it is a simulattion but i want flesh out these people and make more then just names by being given a space to write about them in a players page

This sounds like great ideas for you biography/media spots/vhl.com articles. When you claim them they are essentially linked to a player. You can add little comments to your claim if you want to bookmark things

47 minutes ago, Berocka said:

This sounds like great ideas for you biography/media spots/vhl.com articles. When you claim them they are essentially linked to a player. You can add little comments to your claim if you want to bookmark things

I was also thinking this, but from like...a Dungeons and Dragons viewpoint this makes total sense what's being suggested

2 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

I was also thinking this, but from like...a Dungeons and Dragons viewpoint this makes total sense what's being suggested

Yeah it's a great idea I was more trying to input a way of currently being able to do it :)

5 hours ago, Offbeat_voyage said:

You could put links in your signature to your career PTs.