VHL New Year’s Resolutions - 2024

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

image.thumb.png.ddac67784ef8584aabb29142c77dff96.png

It is under 'Create a Player' -> New Member Guide... also most discord LR have it in a respective channel as well. And iirc Beks mentions it in his welcome message. But yeah maybe we could put it in a tab on top... 

I believe our plan of attack for that, though it hasn’t happened, was to get it onto the player updating page somewhere so that it would automatically check off the stuff you’ve already claimed for the week and grey out the stuff that’s unavailable. For example if you claim welfare it would grey out the PT and vice versa.

We do need more portal devs though so there’s another one from me: a larger portal dev team.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Baozi said:

My 2024 resolution is to convince @Beketov to retire so I can retire.

I’m too stubborn for that and we both know it.

2 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

I’d like to see light restrictions applied to general areas or channels on the forum and discord. 

For example, people have been in general chats (discord) talking badly about the league. This is a bad look for new members when they join the league. I do respect peoples opinions and don’t want to take that away but would rather redirect it into its own channel. The same goes on the forum.

Hard disagree. I’ll say that I understand where this is coming from, because there have been a couple times where I’ve seen a newer member get outright discouraged from earning or from playing for one team or another or from being friends with one member or another. And that isn’t OK, but 1) I don’t think that happens enough to set general guidelines, and 2) I don’t see the people scummy enough to do that as the ones who would respect those guidelines anyway. I think that’s really the only type of thing I’d police, and I think that should just be done on an individual basis. 

In general, all parts of the league (including the VHLM) should be allowed to be evaluated critically and I think that even by itself, making that happen in a designated area already takes away from that principle. I’d like to think we’re smart enough to know which situations are and are not hurtful to new members and react accordingly. 

Just now, Gustav said:

Hard disagree. I’ll say that I understand where this is coming from, because there have been a couple times where I’ve seen a newer member get outright discouraged from earning or from playing for one team or another or from being friends with one member or another. And that isn’t OK, but 1) I don’t think that happens enough to set general guidelines, and 2) I don’t see the people scummy enough to do that as the ones who would respect those guidelines anyway. I think that’s really the only type of thing I’d police, and I think that should just be done on an individual basis. 

In general, all parts of the league (including the VHLM) should be allowed to be evaluated critically and I think that even by itself, making that happen in a designated area already takes away from that principle. I’d like to think we’re smart enough to know which situations are and are not hurtful to new members and react accordingly. 

This argument assumes that what Ricer is talking about is actual critically thought and relevant feedback, vs in reality its just blatant trolling that should already be covered in CoC. I agree we should never discourage legitimate feedback. But what's being brought up is just "hur dur league bad" on repeat in gen chat.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

I’m too stubborn for that and we both know it.

You're just holding me hostage here at this point.

27 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Yeah this is brought up from feedback we have gotten from members of the league. We don’t having “Griefing” as apart of our CoC but it is certainly worth a discussion about adding it. I firmly believe people are entitled to their opinions but are they constructive or is it as Spartan said “hur dur league bad” like I’ve seen many times as of late in Discord Gen Chat? This behaviour ruins the game experience for people and falls under Griefing. 

• Commissioner
47 minutes ago, Josh said:

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

I mean you’re more than capable of putting a hiring thread up. I wouldn’t even know what would be required to 

25 minutes ago, Baozi said:

You're just holding me hostage here at this point.

You are holding yourself to this weird metric that I have to leave before you do, I’m not holding you any which way.

2 hours ago, AJW said:

Add in a TPE checklist so noobs can see what tasks they can do each week!!!

This , and more options for point tasks . Keep the same Capped amount of TPE like other people noted previously before . But more options might make people more inclined to try other ways to earn 

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, KRZY said:

This , and more options for point tasks . Keep the same Capped amount of TPE like other people noted previously before . But more options might make people more inclined to try other ways to earn 

Just pointing you to the end of my response Here rather than posting it again.

Just my experience with the matter mind you.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Just pointing you to the end of my response Here rather than posting it again.

Just my experience with the matter mind you.

My bad I missed all of that , just speaking from my experience and the experience I’m sure others had when they first joined and didn’t quite have their head wrapped around earning TPE and what to do and not do . Just a suggestion but I understand the points you’ve made though . 

3 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

Limiting jobs to one per member :cheers:

I actually think this is why our dear elusive FORUM CONTENT is dying. If every active member had 6-12 job pay they have no reason to ever post on the forum and contribute to the community. Perhaps we should cap job pay to 4-6 a week!

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, KRZY said:

My bad I missed all of that

I mean it’s a random other post, no harm in having not seen it. Just easier for me to point you that way than reply again haha.

I do think the checklist would be quite useful, just not sure how I feel about a pile of extra earning options when people already don’t do several of the ones we have.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, rory said:

I actually think this is why our dear elusive FORUM CONTENT is dying. If every active member had 6-12 job pay they have no reason to ever post on the forum and contribute to the community. Perhaps we should cap job pay to 4-6 a week!

Alternatively forum content is down because people don’t post unless they’ll get something out of it. Whether you need to do a PT or not shouldn’t impact whether you post or not.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rory said:

If you really want Forum Content, he's in the S93 Draft.

Edited by frescoelmo

33 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Alternatively forum content is down because people don’t post unless they’ll get something out of it. Whether you need to do a PT or not shouldn’t impact whether you post or not.

Forums have been dying since before the league was created. Are you that surprised that people don’t want to interact with a dying media form without there being any benefit?

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, rory said:

Forums have been dying since before the league was created. Are you that surprised that people don’t want to interact with a dying media form without there being any benefit?

You’ve got no idea the activity levels daily that used to happen and it shows.

Discord has its uses don’t get me wrong but what it did to forum activity on the whole, not just in the VHL, is mind blowing when it really doesn’t fit a lot of specific use cases like ours.

I’d also say there’s been a pretty solid amount of discussion happening in here and I haven’t offered to reward anyone with anything. Almost as if interesting topics for discussion generate forum content.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

I mean you’re more than capable of putting a hiring thread up.

It's more the lack of qualified candidates in the league.

• Commissioner
Just now, Josh said:

It's more the lack of qualified candidates in the league.

Will was self taught and built the portal 🤷‍♂️

I mean sure it was janky as hell but it worked. I think you might be surprised who you could find.

• Commissioner
Just now, Mongoose87 said:

I have some thoughts:

Surprised the resolution of “kill the VHLE” took this long but glad you have some actual reasons haha

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Surprised the resolution of “kill the VHLE” took this long but glad you have some actual reasons haha

As a veteran of two leagues' head offices, I like to put some thought in before I ask the people in charge to make massive changes. 

• Commissioner
Just now, Mongoose87 said:

As a veteran of two leagues' head offices, I like to put some thought in before I ask the people in charge to make massive changes. 

FWIW the VHLE was always built with a “self destruct button” so to speak. From the get go it was designed to be easier to remove than something like contracting teams is. I’ve done the latter and it’s messy and unpleasant which is part of why the VHLE was a better option than continuing to expand the VHL and VHLM. On the surface removing a league seems complicated but because every player in it has a VHLM and VHL team already they just need to be pushed to whichever side of the cap they belong on.