Around the League

Scurvy

Another week and another installment of Around the League in 500 words (or so).  No real plan to discuss anything in particular but wanted to cover some rookie of the year thoughts in the VHL, my recruit Rip Wheeler’s success and any other random stuff that gets me that delicious 6 TPE.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR TALK:

This VHL season has a plethora of rookies that could compete for the coveted rookie of the year for S92.  As I was going through the stats, teams, and accomplishments I find this to be a very stacked year of epic rookies.  It’s always difficult to choose just what deserves the rookie of the year; is it points? Hits?  Overall Defense? Intangibles?  It’s just too hard to choose really but let’s try.

GRIMGOR IRONHIDE-LW HELSINKI TITANS @FrostBeard
The 7th overall selection in the S91 draft, Ironhide is the current leader in points for a rookie skater.  9g 13a- 22 points, Ironhide is grinding in the toughest division in the league. Ironhide hits, scores and grinds for his club and has scored heavy in every league he has played in while covering defensively as well.  The guy just knows how to win.  A founders cup and multiple trophies already line his trophy case so rookie of the year is not a far flung conclusion. 

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW- G NEW YORK @rory

The New York Americans are a team I constantly root for, but they always seem to fall short of expectations.  However, I am really excited for the future with their roster.  Not to be dismissed in the rookie of the year category is goalie, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (however many). It’s always tough to rate a rookie goalie since they usually don’t get the starts or games that most skaters get but WWWWWWWWWWWWWW can’t be overlooked by his work capacity.   He's played 21 games and is 11-7-3 and has been ABSOLUTE BEAST in net with a 1.98 GAA, 2 shutouts and a .935 GAA.   He’s certainly not been intimidated this season and If he keeps up his pace, he will no doubt be in consideration.

LEIF REINGAARD- D MOSCOW MENACE @Zetterberg

Drafted 3rd overall in S91, LR continues to show why he could be the perfect defensive build.  Almost a point per game and defensive game that stuffs opposing players.  Tough to show how amazing that good defenders are to the success of the club simply by looking at offensive stats but LR has and will be a pivotal key to Moscow’s success for years to come and a true challenger for Rookie of the Year honors.

THOR REINGAARD- RW WARSAW @N0HBDY

Warsaw has struggled the past few season but a player like the # 2 pick in last year draft, Thor Reingaard can easily turn that fortune around,  Big and strong he has tallied 8 g 8a for 16pts in 20 games.  Considering the strength of schedule and roster, Thor Reingaard should be in consideration for the ROTY trophy.

NOTE:  We are only 20 games into the season and this list could change dramatically in the next 20 or so games.  More to follow….

RIP WHEELER 

Its not often that I am completely impressed with my recruit and current Calgary forward, Rip Wheeler @ScottyP.  BUT……I have to say I am presently surprised by Rip’s season thus far.  9 g 18 a for 27pts in 21 games. If you don’t know, I work with Rip and I can constantly get on him about clicking welfare instead of taking two minutes to type something.  However, this season he is in top 10 in scoring and is killing it. I hope he continues his success until my player Ninefingers makes it to the show to stop him………Violently

Review:

As someone just returning to the league I appreciate this media spot - gives a good overview of some of the earlier contenders for Rookie of the Year. It's an interesting coincidence that all 4 of them are either VHL or VHLE General Managers, though I guess it shouldn't be that surprising since these members generally are high TPE earners. I also appreciate that two of the skater front-runners seem to be two way players and are piling up both the offensive and defensive stats. All in all a good solid and entertaining media spot.

Article Review:

The random articles that cover a broad range of topic, solely completed for the purpose of gaining TPE sometimes are the most interesting to read.  You get a chance to grasp the various aspects of the writers mind or at least their thought patterns.  This article is no exception.  Ranging though a variety of thoughts from rookie of the year to a player they drafted to hopes for their own player.  Obviously we get no in depth conclusion on the state of the VHL but we do get to see the writer and how they think.  I give this a 9/10, keep creating content.

I am happy that we have the same top 4 as I do in my top ten list but in slightly different orders. Great read as always and I am always interested in other opinion when it comes to anything league related like the Rookie of the year awards.

Also nice to see Rip, Ripping it this season!! LOL!!

let's do it GIF by South Park