Questions I didn't answer on the Ahmacast

Victor

• Admin

Triller and animal, my apologies, we nearly hit the 3 hour mark on our podcast and still didn't get to your questions. But as a bonus, you get them answered in written form by me before the podcast is even posted! Woo!

On 8/27/2024 at 11:34 AM, Triller said:

What's your plan for when you are done with the league?  Who could take over for you and keep things going?

How long do you think the league can continue to last?

Honestly, given the niche I found in the league between my last 2 players of just existing for awards and HOF purposes, I don't think I have a need to fully retire - it's not too time consuming and genuinely stuff I enjoy doing. There's a few people who have offered to help over the years and I think ultimately it'll have to be a committee job should I leave - I don't think anyone should be expected to do this on their own.

Or the league can last until I leave for good and call it a day then. :P No but genuinely I have no expectation at this point. When I joined it would have been ludicrous to expect S50 or S100 but here we are. We've had our low points but powered through and we are less reliant on 1 or 2 people than ever before - something very bad would have to happen for an end now, I don't think we'll die out organically any time soon.

On 9/11/2024 at 7:56 PM, animal74 said:

If this is still open for @Victor...

1. How old were you when you created your first spreadsheet?

2. Who do you consider the best spreadsheet power user in the VHL?

3. What about keeping VHL history gives you the most joy?

4. Of your 5 Hall of Famers, which one is your favorite? Which player would you want to have a mulligan on?

5. What are some of your favorite Cup-winning moments?

6. Do you have any funny stories/interactions from when you were a Grader?

7. Do you do any other stats related hobbies IRL?

1. Funnily enough long after I became VHL historian. I actually did all my stuff on the forum and guys like @scoop and others were more spreadsheet-savvy. I don't think I used Excel in any meaningful way before I started working at 18 and it was only after that I started moving much of the HOF to Google Sheets.

2. @Spartan  was doing some magic for me in my late Moscow GM days so he knows his stuff. There's a few others who I've not interacted with as much but certainly anyone who knows their way around the portal or has contributed to the VHFL/Fantasy Zone is pretty decent.

3. It makes things and achievements meaningful. If we don't look back at what happened or at least have something to compare to, then all we're looking at is some random numbers in some old software.

4. I think I've done a Media Spot ranking them before. Chershenko was my most enjoyable for the awards he won and the teams he was on and my level of activity vs achievement I felt. But Clegane had such a fun storyline and was objectively my most successful player and one of the best ever, so he's a close second mainly due to my own being less active by then. Of the HOFers, I wish I was more present for Clegane so he probably answers the 2nd question but I also would have done things differently at the end of Cast's career to make his legacy better (and maybe make Cast vs Thompson more of a debate) and at the end of Rasputin's to give him a fighting HOF chance.

5. Season 18 Calgary forever the highlight, we didn't expect, I can still remembering opening the Game 6 result thinking we'd lost and would have to go to 7, but there we were, champions. Two cup winners - Berger in S21 and Chershenko in S30 - rank highly as well, as do two GM victories - the first with Davos in S36, ahead of schedule, and S70 Moscow, the first expansion team win of the current expansion era and the culmination of probably my most difficult time as GM, trying to prove I still had what it took.

6. Nothing comes to mind but there were many who would fight over some grammar mistakes to then be proven wrong. I think the grader community of the time and the competitive nature of it, guys like @JardyB10, @Phil, and @frescoelmo, was what made it an enjoyable experience.

7. I have a few things tracking football stats (the European kind obviously) just for my own use, as it helps me consume the sport sometimes. Not as many as in the VHL though.

Much appreciated answer and I am happy to hear you enjoy your role still after all this time!  Hobbies can quickly feel like jobs so the balance is crucial and you seem to have mastered it!  Thank you for all you do!

21 minutes ago, Victor said:

Would you have stuck around as unofficial AGM 🥺

Probably if you didn't quit, I only got the job because you dipped. I never had interest in GM'ing any other team.

Edited by Spartan