Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

They mentioned the PS+ Edition in a Facebook update recently, I'm sure we will get it... When, I don't fucking know, my Sony contacts are at Guerrilla Games lol

Yeah I have no doubt they will get to it all eventually. But it was a bad launch for a game that a lot of people didn't end up liking anyway. I have yet to try it, but graphically it looked super impressive. It's just one of those things that made me wish Sony had a Forza Horizon equivalent coming out this year though. I'm still curious about The Crew but reviews have been mixed and several big outlets have yet to give a review on it due to the embrago stuffs. 

The gameplay in Driveclub is really solid, people just need to give it a chance. Some of the reviews were just awfully written, I thought Gerstmann's review was just terrible. The Crew is... yeah. Avoid it.

The gameplay in Driveclub is really solid, people just need to give it a chance. Some of the reviews were just awfully written, I thought Gerstmann's review was just terrible. The Crew is... yeah. Avoid it.

I mean reviews are opinions. Across the board Driveclub has had people on both sides either say they love how it controls/handles or hate it. He was on the side of those who hated that aspect of it. It already lost marks for me because I don't like circuit racing driving games, just not my style. Not a big fan of GT. I miss the old Need for Speed customize your car in an open world style racing games. That or Burnout Paradise. It's why The Crew was on my radar.

But all are still opinions. Of course you like it, I haven't seen you bad mouth a single PS product ever. Even when they were handled poorly. In the case of DriveClubs launch I haven't seen any posts from you about how horrible it's been with the technical stuff, the delaying of the PS+ edition etc. But if this was Microsoft doing it you can bet your ass you'd have a post about how mishandled it was. :P It isn't me trying to call you out for being a fanboy, I'm just saying. I own more Sony products than anything but they did handle this Driveclub launch horribly. But once they finally release the free version I'll give it a chance, see if the handling/controls and pretty visuals are enough for me to enjoy track racing. 

Actually I wasn't really happy with The Order: 1886 but the latest impressions seem much more favourable so I'm happy to see that. Oh, and I fucking hated Resistance 2. I'm harsh when I need to be. ;) Gotta remember though, I'm a PlayStation MVP and speak to people at PlayStation from time to time so I do have my loyalties. :P

And I know that reviews are opinions, but I actually thought Gerstmann's review was just poorly written from a structural standpoint, not to mention most of his complaints were about what the game wasn't rather than what the game was. When reviewers do that I get really irritated. I think the core mechanics of Driveclub are really really solid, I've played two different builds of it a year apart. I had fun with the game, and you add on the fact that it's friggin' stunning graphically... I had high hopes for that one.

Edited by Sandro

Actually I wasn't really happy with The Order: 1886 but the latest impressions seem much more favourable so I'm happy to see that. Oh, and I fucking hated Resistance 2. I'm harsh when I need to be. ;) Gotta remember though, I'm a PlayStation MVP and speak to people at PlayStation from time to time so I do have my loyalties. :P

And I know that reviews are opinions, but I actually thought Gerstmann's review was just poorly written from a structural standpoint, not to mention most of his complaints were about what the game wasn't rather than what the game was. When reviewers do that I get really irritated.

Thats a fair statement. But that is kind of what games are becoming now. As a loyal follower of GB I rarely agree with all of their reviews. I just love their video content and their anti corporate approach to games coverage. Reviews for Destiny and not just on the GB side of things were very much the same as Driveclub. People expected something more like Borderlands with an MMO vibe and got something a bit more hybrid/risky and focused on what it wasn't as opposed to what it was. I personally love Destiny, and felt that because of expectations it really wasn't given a fair shake from reviewers. But at the same time the PR teams build that hype, and remained vague about the game. Driveclub was in a similar boat, they didn't talk at length about the systems/structure of the game before hand.

Games are in a real weird spot right now all together though. You have the copy and paste Ubisoft formula, literally all of their games involve the same concepts of mini map finding "towers" or equivalent and unlocking your side objectives swallowed by whatever genre of gameplay and insert stereotypical story. Even all the clones of theirs, a game I really enjoy like Shadows of Mordor followed so much of that ilk. Then you have the games that are trying to take advantage of the popular genres that did hit, like MMO hybrids, or MOBA hybrids. On both sides it's been severely underwhelming reaction wise, mostly because people are sick of seeing "last gen games" which is what the Ubisoft/a-typical approach feels like, but nobody really knows from a larger perspective what "new" to do. They just are adding concepts and elements from other things into their games. Everything that is new ends up feeling so similar, but with "twists" that it's tough to appreciate it. If it wasn't for the indy game scene games would be in a real awful place right now creatively I feel. 

I'm hoping with a lot of big releases next year we'll see some more positive momentum. Ultimately though I get why reviewers/opinions are swayed more towards people not meeting expectations that exist in the industry and not being even more than what those expectations are. It has just been so long since a big AAA game really floored anybody from really any angle. 

I've had DriveClub since release day and I just can't get myself to play it that much. It looks awesome graphically and I like the handle of the cars but I don't know. I wish they would just make a Need for Speed: Underground 3 already. I loved those games, or a new Midnight Club because DUB Edition was sick.

The launch for DriveClub was pretty ridiculous though and people were supposed to get the PS+ Edition right away but that never happened. The only reason I bought the game was because I couldn't get it for free on PS+.

• Commissioner

I've had DriveClub since release day and I just can't get myself to play it that much. It looks awesome graphically and I like the handle of the cars but I don't know. I wish they would just make a Need for Speed: Underground 3 already. I loved those games, or a new Midnight Club because DUB Edition was sick.

The launch for DriveClub was pretty ridiculous though and people were supposed to get the PS+ Edition right away but that never happened. The only reason I bought the game was because I couldn't get it for free on PS+.

Totally agreed with you on NFSU3. I don't normally care for racing games unless I can customize the hell out of my car and Underground was great for that. I don't mind Grand Turismo and graphically it's great but it just feels blah when your cars look stock I guess. Underground was crazy fun though.

Wii U, NintendoLand, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and a Wii U Pro controller for $320 (after tax). Pretty darn good deal I'd say.

Holy shit...

Wii U, NintendoLand, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and a Wii U Pro controller for $320 (after tax). Pretty darn good deal I'd say.

#rekt

Has anyone played the FAmily Guy game (something about the Multiplex)? It's 80% off on steam and I'm debating getting it.

By the way, Sandro.. my close friend let me play the beginning of Advanced Warfare... holy shit is it intense!!

Holy shit...

Yeah, pretty much. Got 25% off of a single shopping trip to Walmart because I worked there on Black Friday, and with the Wii U bundle, they give a $50 Walmart card (I didn't actually know about this until at the register). $460 after discount and tax becomes $370, and then the $50 card makes it $320. Made me happy. :)

I've mostly been playing Smash, of course. Been using a lot of Sheik, DK, Toon Link, and Pit. I'd like to like Megaman, but I'm not very great with him yet. Working on it though, even if he doesn't seem to be that strong of a fighter!

Yeah, pretty much. Got 25% off of a single shopping trip to Walmart because I worked there on Black Friday, and with the Wii U bundle, they give a $50 Walmart card (I didn't actually know about this until at the register). $460 after discount and tax becomes $370, and then the $50 card makes it $320. Made me happy. :)

I've mostly been playing Smash, of course. Been using a lot of Sheik, DK, Toon Link, and Pit. I'd like to like Megaman, but I'm not very great with him yet. Working on it though, even if he doesn't seem to be that strong of a fighter!

My go-to's are Marth, Lucina, Shulk, Link, Sheik and Pit. Marth is my #1 since Melee.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

Got Shadow of Mordor for Christmas and have been playing it almost non-stop; such a great game. Got it completely done this afternoon (100% and the platinum trophy) with just under 30 hours played. Trying to decide now if the DLC is worth it.

I loved that game too an 100%'ed it as well, rarely do that with any game but this one had just the right amount of content to go all completionist on it, and obviously the gameplay was hella fun too :)

I'm really digging The Crew right now btw, I know that Sandro wasn't a fan of the preview versions at all but I really like it so far!

I'm really digging The Crew right now btw, I know that Sandro wasn't a fan of the preview versions at all but I really like it so far!

To each their own, if you like it that's great. I played three different preview builds and thought it was atrocious each time, so my opinion was bound to be negative no matter what haha

To each their own, if you like it that's great. I played three different preview builds and thought it was atrocious each time, so my opinion was bound to be negative no matter what haha

I saw a couple of reviews criticize the driving mechanics so I guess there's gotta be something to it, but maybe its's my racing game noobness but they don't bother me at all, I actually think that the handling for most cars works really well. Have you played the final version or only previews, maybe they got to improve that aspect a bit after the beta?

I saw a couple of reviews criticize the driving mechanics so I guess there's gotta be something to it, but maybe its's my racing game noobness but they don't bother me at all, I actually think that the handling for most cars works really well. Have you played the final version or only previews, maybe they got to improve that aspect a bit after the beta?

I played that beta that was available a couple weeks before launch, which would've been pretty much identical to the retail version.