Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

Just played NHL 15 for the first time in 2 weeks. It all came back to me. The reasons why I will not play that game ever again.

Probably going to sell it and buy Smash Bros. and Shadow of Mordor tomorrow.

Edited by FueledByRamen

Just played NHL 15 for the first time in 2 weeks. It all came back to me. The reasons why I will not play that game ever again.

Probably going to sell it and buy Smash Bros. and Shadow of Mordor tomorrow.

Shadows of Mordor is pretty great. Really the more I play of it the more the nemesis system really sells me as one of the best AI systems I've seen in quite some time. It's great. Add in the fact that the combat/movement is familiar and you can get into it into a hurry, it really comes together well. 

• Commissioner

Shadows of Mordor is pretty great. Really the more I play of it the more the nemesis system really sells me as one of the best AI systems I've seen in quite some time. It's great. Add in the fact that the combat/movement is familiar and you can get into it into a hurry, it really comes together well.

This is going to make me sound terrible but as someone who has never played any of the Batman or AC games does it seem like the kind of thing I should pick up? I love LOTR and from what I've heard Shadow or Mordor seems like it has a plot I would love. I'm just worried because all I've heard about the fighting style is like AC, batman or both,

This is going to make me sound terrible but as someone who has never played any of the Batman or AC games does it seem like the kind of thing I should pick up? I love LOTR and from what I've heard Shadow or Mordor seems like it has a plot I would love. I'm just worried because all I've heard about the fighting style is like AC, batman or both,

I haven't played any of the Assassins Creed or Batman games either and just picked up Shadow of Mordor, i'll let you know if I like it ;)

Story wise it's fine. It's kind of very separate from the LOTR stuff. You are in Mordor for the whole game. It does a decent job of the lore and stuff but you don't see a large variety. In regards to the combat, it isn't a combination of Batman and AC. It literally is one hundred percent lifted from Batman. Like EXACTLY. To a tee. Apparently the studio working on this was working on a Batman game before they did this, and they just changed the setting when Rocksteady announced they would finish off their Batman games. So it makes sense. It's also the same publisher. But yeah if you haven't played either, you'll probably enjoy it. As much as it sucks that so many action games rip off the Batman combat, it probably is the best third person action combat system in video games right now.

Lore wise you'll probably get what you want if you have any affinity for that universe.There really isn't anything offensive or eye rolling about it. 

• Commissioner

Not that I planned on playing it but that was a piss off. I get that last gen the PS3 had more power and got shunned but at least the devs could fall back on it being a tricky CPU. Now they have no excuse, Sony still has more power, and they offer some bullshit cop-out.

Guarantee MS is sick of looking bad because the PS4 runs so much better that they've starting paying off devs to make our versions worse so they don't look so bad. Even if we believe the garbage he's feeding about AI there's still no reason the PS4 version should be limited at 30 FPS.

Edited by Beketov

Not that I planned on playing it but that was a piss off. I get that last gen the PS3 had more power and got shunned but at least the devs could fall back on it being a tricky CPU. Now they have no excuse, Sony still has more power, and they offer some bullshit cop-out.

Guarantee MS is sick of looking bad because the PS4 runs so much better that they've starting paying off devs to make our versions worse so they don't look so bad. Even if we believe the garbage he's feeding about AI there's still no reason the PS4 version should be limited at 30 FPS.

The CPU is limiting both consoles to 30 FPS and I never believed for a second the game would be more than that. That's not the problem. Ubisoft fucking blows at optimization. But bringing the PS4 down to 1080p? Fucking bullshit, I don't want a blurry game when I know it can be better.

Anyone play Fifa 15?

My roommate and I usually tag team on Ultimate Team and are having a blast right now with our team.  Current team (once we buy Howard...and we have more than enough).  Finally filled out an entire roster with BPL guys that we like.

4-4-2

Danny Welbeck (78) - Wilfried Bony (81)

Jay Rodriguez (75) - Jack Wilshere (81) - Christian Eriksen (83) - Erik Lamela (78)

Jose Enrique (77) - Federico Fazio (80) - Vlad Chiriches (76) - Daryl Janmaat (76)

Tim Howard (82)

BENCH:

CF - Messi (93 - LOAN PLAYER)

CAM - Ronaldinho (80)

ST - Uche (78)

RM - Salah (76)

CB - Shawcross (77)

RB - Jallet (75)

GK - Ruddy (77)

Still some improvements that have to be made but we have only lost five times in seventy games played, so it could be worse.  We don't really do the trading strategy to get a ton of money (not yet at least).  Also bought the ultimate team bundle for it so we get a gold pack every week for forty weeks...and some nice hauls from it so far (Rodriguez, Uche, Lamela).

Edited by Advantage

I play FIFA, haven't gotten to playing it a whole lot since getting it though. Is anyone up to do the weekly Destiny strike tonight or tomorrow? I need it for an exotic bounty but there is no player search for it, so you need to enter it with a three man fireteam. I'm Lvl. 26 now so I don't think I would be dragging you guys down :)

Romanes, FueledByRamen and I did the Weekly Strike yesterday in Destiny. Was pretty fun. We are starting to get high enough level to maybe attempt the raid at some point if we can find six people though. I'm almost 26, which should be a safe level to start it out.

You do the raid yet Sandro? I hear a lot of people say it's super crazy and awesome. I know you may not play with us though because your a super Destiny elitist. :P 

Completed the raid twice already. If you guys are leveled up enough I can help guide you through it, but I do have a raid team I play with every week. You definitely need a full team, ideally Level 28 and up. At the very least Level 27, I don't think you'd fare well at 26. I know how to get all the chests as well, but there's a condition to get one of them to appear. You're basically thrown into the mission without any idea of what it is, which is part of the appeal I suppose. It's absolutely the best part of the game, the design of it all is fantastic and makes me wonder what the heck happened with the rest of the game.

Why aren't the strikes filled with more puzzles to prepare you for the raid? Why are the only unique melee weapons in the game the Sword of Crota and those badass shields you get in the Vault of Glass? The third person melee combat seems like it was really well thought out and works well, I feel like a lot of stuff must have been cut out.

Honestly, I'm considering the $35 for the expansion pass because each expansion comes with a new raid and the VoG is just so damn good.

Where BioShock Infinite aggressively tugged on heartstrings, The Evil Within tears them from your chest and crucifies you. It strangles you with your own tendrils and feeds you your own beating heart, mouth locked shut and tied with entrails, forcing you to chew and swallow."

Hehehehehehehe... That's how you sell me on a game. :D

• 2 weeks later...

can someone explain to me what gamergate is? 'Cause from what I've seen on it it just seems like a bunch of gamers being losers. 

It's exactly a bunch of "gamers" being losers. 4chan and various other internet hellholes claimed it was about getting rid of corruption in games journalism to sucker a bunch of people into following them. In reality it's just them harassing women in the games industry. Personally I don't give a fuck, I hate what they're doing but I just try not to give them any attention. I'm more interested in, y'know, playing the damn games.

Edited by Sandro

Evolve is some seriously intense shit, man.

Yeah seen some proper footage of it lately. It looks very intriguing, I'm just worried about everyone needing to play their class and communicate. You add in the fact that it's just really a glorified boss fight every round, even if it's MP I don't really know if that'll be enough for me. There better be a great tutorial in that game for each class tbh. 

Yeah seen some proper footage of it lately. It looks very intriguing, I'm just worried about everyone needing to play their class and communicate. You add in the fact that it's just really a glorified boss fight every round, even if it's MP I don't really know if that'll be enough for me. There better be a great tutorial in that game for each class tbh. 

You definitely need everyone to play their class and communicate. If you don't and the monster has half a clue, he'll tear you to shreds. That's part of the fun of it. My bigger concern is it's a multiplayer-only title and doesn't seem to have a ton of content. AKA, Titanfall Syndrome. At least that's what I call it. People will love it for a couple weeks and then once they've done everything 50 times over, they'll get bored. Great as a $30-40 pickup, not so much at $60-70 is my prediction.