VHL Magazine Power Poll - Salary Cap

Toast

VHL Mag Power Poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many of the VHL’s rules have been set in stone for seasons, with little changes coming here and there. For the most part though, things have been pretty straight forward here for quite some time now.

One of the things that doesn’t seem to be changing any time soon is the VHL Salary Cap. The Cap is, according to the rules, discussed every off-season to see if a change is needed. It can be boosted, decreased, or left alone after these talks. For quite some time, the cap has been left alone with the intent of not messing with what the site is used to.

However, recently we have seen success from tons of players. Regardless of their experience in the league it seems that anyone and everyone is capable of having successful seasons. And with everyone trying to build the strongest player, everyone is soaring in the TPE counts.

Of course, to go with the salary cap we have the minimum contracts. If a team has multiple players around 600-700+ TPE, at most they’ll be able to afford around 10 players to keep the team going. With the boost in all of these successful players, it seems that changes may come in the future to the cap (which was last changed way back in S18).

So that’s this week’s Power Poll. Do you think there should be a change to the salary cap next reason? As it stands now the ceiling is 32mil, and the floor is 20mil.

Make sure to comment with your vote as it could get into the Mag!

Looking at the TPE totals from around the league, there seems to be more and more players with 500+TPE. The increase in activity and members is fantastic, however, it makes the GM's jobs of managing the salary cap a nightmare. If they start with a core group of 5 or 6 guys and they all stick with the team - in a few seasons, they'll have to sell some off. I know players in their prime who've had to take salary hits just to help manage the team finances. I believe we can get more depth in our rosters. 

Also, what with the changes in the Player Store, money has been more of a commodity in the league.  I would like to see a slight increase in the Salary Cap. 

Edited by Phil

• Admin

My position has always been and will remain that until we have 10 teams vying for playoff spots, the salary cap is not doing its job. And if we ever approach such a situation, the best solution would still be a second expansion rather than raising the cap. The cap floor is not important.

I think we should raise the salary cap and I have actually held that opinion for a bunch of seasons now. With TPE-totals getting higher all around the league the trade market has pretty much been crippled as barely any team with a chance to contend has the capspace to bring in players anymore. Another problem is that locker rooms are getting smaller and less active because teams can afford fewer and fewer players if they want to carry at least a few star-caliber guys. Rolling a 6-4-1 is pretty much impossible already and even icing a 6-3-1 or 5-3-1 can be very tough if you don't use 1-2 cheap filler players with 200 TPE at best.

Another problem is that locker rooms are getting smaller and less active because teams can afford fewer and fewer players if they want to carry at least a few star-caliber guys.

It's not like those players that they can't afford just disappear. They go to other teams and can be active in other locker rooms.

There should have either been a salary cap increase or an expansion. You know which option they went with. Another one is to add more TPE brackets for high end players and lower the salaries of the lower brackets a little bit. There is more TPE now so 700TPE maximum brackets should now be 800, 900 or even 1000.

There should have either been a salary cap increase or an expansion. You know which option they went with. Another one is to add more TPE brackets for high end players and lower the salaries of the lower brackets a little bit. There is more TPE now so 700TPE maximum brackets should now be 800, 900 or even 1000.

That was my argument like 6 seasons ago