General Football Discussion

Victor

• Admin

Oh, they also managed a 0-0 draw against Osasuna a few weeks back right? Same day Man U drew with Southampton  :angry:

Top five is Germany, England, Spain, Italy, and Holland, no?

Still not a defeat. I don't particularly like Barcelona and they haven't faced much competition yet (just Real, Milan are a mess right now), but I've always believed they make Messi, not the other way around. Cases in point: Spanish national team, copes well without him, and now Barcelona with Neymar.

Yeah that's them. France is a questionable one, as in they're not in the top four, but I brought them up because it seems the PSG/Monaco battle isn't as close as some expected. PSG have a headstart and depth, they have become a European contender now. Rest of the league isn't great though plus the new tax system will hurt them.

Agreed. However over the last 10 years Lyon, Lille, PSG, Monaco, Marseille and Nantes have all been better than the lines of Ajax, Twente, Feyencord and PSV

Still not a defeat. I don't particularly like Barcelona and they haven't faced much competition yet (just Real, Milan are a mess right now), but I've always believed they make Messi, not the other way around. Cases in point: Spanish national team, copes well without him, and now Barcelona with Neymar.

Agree there. Messi is more of a product of the system they run than they are a team because of the player he is. Great player don't get me wrong, but Barcelona is still Barcelona without Messi. Messi isn't Messi without Barcelona's system as much. If you stuck him on another team he would still be one of the greatest players of all-time but he wouldn't nearly be getting the statistics he gets in Barcelona.

Yeah but people are starting to figure out tiki-taka, and they don't really have a consistent Plan B.

• Admin

Yeah but people are starting to figure out tiki-taka, and they don't really have a consistent Plan B.

I am pleased that people are because I don't like it as a style. They are adapting though, more long balls, less obsessed with possession under Martino. For the time being, they've been to the Champions league semi-finals every year since 2008 (plus 2006 win), won I think all but one or two Spanish titles in that time and have made a strong start so far. We shall wait and see how it ends but this isn't a team you can discount, Messi or not.

Oh, so you're talking about when Leverkusen beat Bayern last year.  ;)

I love how you keep bringing up Leverkusen. Us Germans joke because Leverkusen is like the Philadelphia Flyers of the Bundesliga. They seem to always have their sights set on glory but they screw it up down the line. Yes we lost a calendar year ago to a team who has a very weak history.

I love how you keep bringing up Leverkusen. Us Germans joke because Leverkusen is like the Philadelphia Flyers of the Bundesliga. They seem to always have their sights set on glory but they screw it up down the line. Yes we lost a calendar year ago to a team who has a very weak history.

What team doesn't set their sights on glory? You could also say that every team other than Bayern and Dortmund also screw it up eventually.

What team doesn't set their sights on glory? You could also say that every team other than Bayern and Dortmund also screw it up eventually.

Without money yeah, but teams like Bayer and Schalke have more money than the teams below them. That's just an excuse though cause you tend to be talking like Levekusen is a top team. You realize many of their players, coaches and media are surprised they are there because of their horrible play. I mean yeah 5 goals is great, but like I said before giving up 3 is very poor. That's a wide-open game and believe me when they get to a cup to face a team like Dortmund and Leverkusen, that wide open style will destroy their chances at anything.

Without money yeah, but teams like Bayer and Schalke have more money than the teams below them. That's just an excuse though cause you tend to be talking like Levekusen is a top team. You realize many of their players, coaches and media are surprised they are there because of their horrible play. I mean yeah 5 goals is great, but like I said before giving up 3 is very poor. That's a wide-open game and believe me when they get to a cup to face a team like Dortmund and Leverkusen, that wide open style will destroy their chances at anything.

I never said they were a top team. I'm just a Leverkusen supporter lol

• 2 weeks later...

now that's disgusting

A disgusting performance by Dortmund? Cause Bayern controlled the majority of play if it wasn't in Reus' feet. Gotze did the proper thing on his celebrations, I get more joy out of seeing ex players not celebrate (especially when they have no beef)

In the BBL they are good at throwing money around in the air with Pesic... i don't care about soccer/football. :P

Haha well they do target guys they need though, not guys they want. Unlike Man City and other big money teams who just go after anyone with talent, instead of positions they need

Dude I thought you were German. :P I'm talking about basketball. ;)

Football-wise they are also disgusting but you really gotta respect what they've built up there.

Basketball is far from German though so we don't care. Hell I'm not a big basketball fan outside of Dirk, and he isn't even in Germany.

Tzzzz, literally anyone can kick a ball with their feet. :P

Well, there is a reason why Dirk is not playing in Germany...

Yes but can you kick the ball and have it curve into the net? Now you are stumped.

Dirk makes good money elsewhere haha

Yes but can you kick the ball and have it curve into the net? Now you are stumped.

Dirk makes good money elsewhere haha

No I can't because I quit playing football with 9, but can you give the ball the right rotation after the release so that it doesn't fly to the basket like a brick? That argument can be used for any sport...

Oh boy, yes he does :D