VHLM Downsize

• Head Moderator

Uhhhh what? I was a GM for years in the VHLM and as part of the BOG I tend to keep close tabs on the VHLM. Especially since I recruit a ton, I like to make sure that portion of our site is in good order as well. I don't get that comment.

Not you, I meant your comment to me not paying attention to my GM duties. I guess I worded it wrong. Brampton has never lacked for my attention.

Yeah I don't think any of the last few things posted have been relevant to the OP

Well before Kendrick was questioning me. I was saying that the Brampton ideology I used is what should be encouraged and rewarded. That is to always make the playoffs and to provide an environment for players on the team to be positioned to earn maximum achievement points.
Edited by tfong

Not you, I meant your comment to me not paying attention to my GM duties. I guess I worded it wrong. Brampton has never lacked for my attention.

Well before Kendrick was questioning me. I was saying that the Brampton ideology I used is what should be encouraged and rewarded. That is to always make the playoffs and to provide an environment for players on the team to be positioned to earn maximum achievement points.

Which I did in Saskatoon! But stepped down because other teams got rewarded despite not adapting that philosophy. That's what I was saying, don't act like Brampton was the first ever time we saw it.

I was saying that the Brampton ideology I used is what should be encouraged and rewarded.

GOD DAMN IT FONG, FOR THE LAST TIME, WE ARE NOT BECOMING COMMUNIST CHINA!

Which I did in Saskatoon! But stepped down because other teams got rewarded despite not adapting that philosophy. That's what I was saying, don't act like Brampton was the first ever time we saw it.

I don't think he was, he was just saying that phirosophy should be encouraged.

• Head Moderator

You missed the part where I said "few" teams. Brampton isn't the only one to do this and yes your SK reign was quite good. But overall there are very few teams prescribing to this philosophy. Even yukon when they won like 3 championships or something in 6 seasons did a full tank in one of those seasons too. I'm just saying teams need to be reward for this philosophy to maximize development of prospects.

GOD DAMN IT FONG, FOR THE LAST TIME, WE ARE NOT BECOMING COMMUNIST CHINA!

I don't think he was, he was just saying that phirosophy should be encouraged.

My parents are from Hong Kong! They love capitalism!
Edited by tfong

• Head Moderator

Stop trying to glamorize the VHLM. It's our job to get as many players into the VHL not go on playoff streaks..

And that is where we disagree. The VHLM should be in itself a good experience and part of the fun nature of the entire site. Its not just a meat grinding process that spits out extra tpe for no reason. the VHLM is the make or break phase for most new players because thats where they will be for a season or 2 and if they don't enjoy it here, they won't make it to the VHLM.

By and large, to get players to the VHL, we have to ensure they develop here and in the VHLM have a good experience so they can continue playing and going on. If its hell for them, don't expect any first gens to stay.

And that is where we disagree. The VHLM should be in itself a good experience and part of the fun nature of the entire site. Its not just a meat grinding process that spits out extra tpe for no reason. the VHLM is the make or break phase for most new players because thats where they will be for a season or 2 and if they don't enjoy it here, they won't make it to the VHLM.

By and large, to get players to the VHL, we have to ensure they develop here and in the VHLM have a good experience so they can continue playing and going on. If its hell for them, don't expect any first gens to stay.

This is the point I made in the OP, and for the reasons I stated as well.

I agree in that it is about giving the VHLM players a great experience.. But that doesn't go hand-in-hand with VHLM Franchise success. My point is that GM success is determined by how well they engage their players and get them to 175-200 TPE. Whether that is being in playoffs every year or just providing each player with their most optimal situation. Every instance is different, and for the most part I think the VHLM commishes have done a great job hiring capable GMs and replacing those who need replaced very efficiently.

Obviously improvements can be made, but I don't think there's a major problem with GM mindset..

• Head Moderator

I agree in that it is about giving the VHLM players a great experience.. But that doesn't go hand-in-hand with VHLM Franchise success. My point is that GM success is determined by how well they engage their players and get them to 175-200 TPE. Whether that is being in playoffs every year or just providing each player with their most optimal situation. Every instance is different, and for the most part I think the VHLM commishes have done a great job hiring capable GMs and replacing those who need replaced very efficiently.

Obviously improvements can be made, but I don't think there's a major problem with GM mindset..

We can probably agree though that being on a team that is fighting for a playoff spot is infinitely more fun than one that is tanking for the 1oa though right? Thats the point I'm trying to drive home, that is if all teams are consistently "in the picture" and competing, then it means that most of the players will be more interested in whats going on. So if a team which misses the playoffs but is basically in the fight for a playoff spot up unti lthe very end, at the very least then for 80% of the season, players are motivated to do their best to improve their players. Rather than being on a team that basically throws in the towel at Day 10, it'd be better to have all teams in the fight until the end I'd assume.

We can probably agree though that being on a team that is fighting for a playoff spot is infinitely more fun than one that is tanking for the 1oa though right? Thats the point I'm trying to drive home, that is if all teams are consistently "in the picture" and competing, then it means that most of the players will be more interested in whats going on. So if a team which misses the playoffs but is basically in the fight for a playoff spot up unti lthe very end, at the very least then for 80% of the season, players are motivated to do their best to improve their players. Rather than being on a team that basically throws in the towel at Day 10, it'd be better to have all teams in the fight until the end I'd assume.

Okay, so I have first overall.. If you're implying I tanked then you really didn't pay attention to what happened this season. Regardless, I have all of my waiver claims telling me that they hope to return back to Bern for the next season. In addition to that, I had a 100% success rate of players that I acquired to reach the 50 TPE mark, all of which were first-gens.

I just don't think making playoffs every year means you did you job (to clarify I'm not saying you personally didn't). If I had a successful year it means every player I have graduates to the VHL, therefore meaning I lose my entire team to the VHL. If you're able to make playoffs every year, either you are a very smart dealing VHLM GM, or you are allowing a lot of your players to fall through the cracks, and have been reaping the benefits of high TPE inactives.

I'm just pointing out that a GM can make playoffs every year, and not be doing a good job. Just as the flip side of a GM who gets a lottery pick isn't being a negative influence on his players..

Wong vs Fong: an instant classic.

It's like an ancient battle of samurai warriors!

For the record as STZ can attest Fong we have discussed a lot about how we can make the VHLM competitive for almost every team without compromising the focus for GM's to keep players active/provide the best possible experience for new members. The issue is how far GM's leverage themselves to compete.

In the VHL it doesn't matter if a team sacrifices their future because it is the GM who has to try to find a way to get his team back on track and winning again. Teams that do that usually wind up tanking/competing for a few seasons but all their actives get traded to the other competitive teams when it comes time to rebuild. In the VHLM we can't ever allow that to happen. No team can be a graveyard, ever.

The issue with contraction for the VHLM is that there is a group of us in the BoG who generally believe that as we push up recruitment we will have enough talent to make 8 good teams. Provided of course we can restructure some of the rules so we don't keep getting what we get. Which is of course teams that are good, trying to become great, and teams that are average/underwhelming tanking. I know a lot of GM's probably don't like the idea of having mostly good teams, with no great ones because who has the edge, how can you ensure yourself a win? But in the VHLM being the "best" team should be secondary to being a team that promotes good activity for new members. When you make those alterations and restrictions I forsee some VHLM GM's having zero interest in it, because such restrictions would allow them to only do so much to try to win.