VHLM Downsize

As someone who just joined the league, I don't see why there are so many juniors teams. A couple teams have a good bounty of actives, while a couple only have 2-4 active players. There are a few immediate negatives right away:

1. Competition. There was a game in which my team was outshot 4 to 55. Seriously? Is that fun for either team? I know it wasn't for me... And as a new member, not very enticing.

2. Locker rooms. STZ is a great LR presence for Bern, but 3 people (that are getting blown out every game) can only carry a conversation so far.

3. Motivation. Honestly if I wasn't a part of other sim leagues and know how they work, I would've quit already.

My suggestion is a reduction in teams from 8 to 6 and a redistribution draft.

This will help by even out the playing field and creating more parity in the league (competition). This will also make for more active locker rooms. It may make for a longer off-season, but put every send down, every new member and anyone else that will playing in the VHLM this season and do a fantasy draft. It will refresh the Jr teams and bring the playing field back to even. You could eliminate Moscow (with the GM stepping down already) and 1 other team.

This is just an honest suggestion from a recently joined member!

Edited by Dmoushey_31

• Head Moderator

As someone who just joined the league, I don't see why there are so many juniors teams. A couple teams have a good bounty of actives, while a couple only have 2-4 active players. There are a few immediate negatives right away:

1. Competition. There was a game in which my team was outshot 4 to 55. Seriously? Is that fun for either team? I know it wasn't for me... And as a new member, not very enticing.

2. Locker rooms. STZ is a great LR presence for Bern, but 3 people (that are getting blown out every game) can only carry a conversation so far.

3. Motivation. Honestly if I wasn't a part of other sim leagues and know how they work, I would've quit already.

My suggestion is a reduction in teams from 8 to 6 and a redistribution draft.

This will help by even out the playing field and creating more parity in the league (competition). This will also make for more active locker rooms. It may make for a longer off-season, but put every send down, every new member and anyone else that will playing in the VHLM this season and do a fantasy draft. It will refresh the Jr teams and bring the playing field back to even. You could eliminate Moscow (with the GM stepping down already) and 1 other team.

This is just an honest suggestion from a recently joined member!

1. Blame your VHLM GM mentality here first of all. GMs at the VHLM level love to do all in or tank cycles for their teams. Brampton and a few other teams are one of few teams that are competitive year in and year out in an attempt to break this cycle while other teams will put everything into one year then tank the next few years and sell off everything possible. The more you bring attention to this the more attention others will put to try and rectify this so thank you for pointing this out.

2. You think that is bad? There was one season where it was me and Maxime Perron (Jumper Pegasus) and literally it was only me talking to him or me talking to myself lol.

3. Here is where your suggestions become really useful for how we approach new member retention, don't be afraid to speak out on what you think would help things.

Wild Thought: Re-organize the VHLM into a Frozen four type tourney. Everyone makes playoffs, Draft picks can't be traded so teams are always at max capacity of players whenever possible. Allow only players to be traded (trade position of strength for position of weakness type trading).

Edited by tfong

Good points big D, can I calll you that?

I actually made a thread in the BOG, where new ideas are discussed and debated, about contacting the VHLM league to 6 teams, but it was mostly shot down. Good to see a new member agrees with some of what I had posted in the BOG.

1. Blame your VHLM GM mentality here first of all. GMs at the VHLM level love to do all in or tank cycles for their teams. Brampton and a few other teams are one of few teams that are competitive year in and year out in an attempt to break this cycle while other teams will put everything into one year then tank the next few years and sell off everything possible. The more you bring attention to this the more attention others will put to try and rectify this so thank you for pointing this out.

Right. Blame his GM, the team he inherited had no draft picks.. Yup he really should have done more the be competitive lol. Pay attention.

Right. Blame his GM, the team he inherited had no draft picks.. Yup he really should have done more the be competitive lol. Pay attention.

Reminds me of the first time I was given a team. The Minot Gladiators from 701. That team had no picks and was boring that season.

lol again, just an observation from a newcomer. STZ had little to nothing to work with and made it apparent and gave me a fair warning. He also offered to trade anyone to a playoff bound team if they requested.

I just dont see how a game of 55 shots to 5 is good for junior players. (tfong) It's nice you stuck it out with 2 people in a LR, but I dont know that most people would.

I dont know exactly what it would take to fix it (dispersal draft, downsize to 6 teams, locked/untradeable draft picks, all of the above) but just some ideas!

PS Big D is cool with me!

Edited by Dmoushey_31

Make a waiver claim on every single player as soon as they join.

If he didn't do that, he's doing a bad job.

Go look at the waiver thread.. I put a claim in on everyone available. After trade deadline I personally spoke with every player that created a player before claiming so they would know the situation they would be signing up for. I don't want to claim someone unless they are okay trading off playoffs for developmental help.

• Head Moderator

Go look at the waiver thread.. I put a claim in on everyone available. After trade deadline I personally spoke with every player that created a player before claiming so they would know the situation they would be signing up for. I don't want to claim someone unless they are okay trading off playoffs for developmental help.

Heh sorry I wasn't targeting you specifically, I was actually applying a broad stroke to most VHLM GMs in general.

But the mentality is there in the VHLM for sure. I mean Brampton started the season with Perron and probably equal amount of players as Bern. I ended up claiming enough waiver players throughout the entire season to fill a roster and then some. There is no motivation for many GMs to avoid the tank because its how they will get "better picks". 

Like seriously I was the last waiver claim, but yet I managed to claim 10 players and traded for a few other bodies. We weren't contenders obviously, but nobody in the LR was ready to give up and kept at it anyways.

VHLM GMs need to go away from the win or bust mentality and go for a good middle ground that is best for prospect development. Thats why I'm onboard with no draft pick trades and having all player trades 1v1. Then you would never have empty rosters. Sure you will still lose or whatever but then everyone is always in the race.

Edited by tfong

Claim them all. Trade them for 3rd/4th round picks. Draft on-the-fence players. Try to keep them around,

Edited by Streetlight