VHLM Downsize

Definitely would be nice for the VHLM guys. Especially newcomers to the league who don't really know that sometimes you can land on an empty team. Won't be exciting for them at all and they may end up leaving the VHL all together because they want excitement right away when joining a league.

With Boychuk I was taken off waivers by Ottawa, and that team was mostly empty besides KJA. Definitely was not too exciting of a start for me with basically just me and the GM in the LR being the most active. I was ecstatic when I was drafted the next season to Turku where there was Svoboda, Vlasis, Waldron, and others. That LR was active as heck, although Svoboda helped that a ton.

I agree with most of what you've said, Big D. The VHLM is in fact a broken bag of dog biscuits right now and needs a great deal of change. But I'm strongly of the belief contracting teams would only be a Band-Aid solution, if it would be a solution at all.

When Fong says it's the VHLM GM mentality that is fucking everything up, that is indeed true to an extent. When GMs are in rebuilding seasons, they trade away all their picks and tank hard, and refuse to claim waivers because they don't want new members playing on their dog shit teams. Of course there's always going to be members that slip between the cracks and get on a dog shit team anyway, but that's hardly the problem in itself. The problem is in the result of this mentality, which stacks about 4 teams with seven billion players and the other four teams with like, two players. It's absurdly lopsided, and you've said yourself it's not fun for either party.

And the real problem is that, right now, the league is designed in such a way that, not only is such an extreme teeter-totter of teams possible, it seems to be a great strategy to have any success. Why stay marginally competitive and not do bad or good when you can blow your team up one year and skull fuck everyone the next? So it's not really the GMs' fault for having this mentality, because it's the system that breeds it. Without making any other changes, I believe contracting teams will do nothing but lower the scale. Likely it would be four super teams and two ghost teams, or maybe even three and three. It would probably fluctuate as it presently does.

Restricting trades I feel is a bit of an easy way out as well. I imagine it would work, particularly in conjunction with contraction, but that really doesn't leave the GMs with much to do. We had an era of restrictive trades, and that was when VHL teams had legitimate farm leagues, and it sucked too, largely for the very reason of GMs barely being able to move anybody.

As I've said in the BOG, I feel the true solution is to somehow redesign the league that building super teams and super shitty teams is simply not possible. A salary cap system should be implemented that heavily favours waiver claims. My personal suggestion would be fixed salaries depending on TPE. Cap Hell should be an ever-present risk, that savvy GMs can waiver their way out of. But it's a system that needs to be implemented by someone much more dedicated than me, I'm afraid.

But yeah, that's my 37 cents.

The thing I've seen since I joined is that "well, people would rather have more ice time than be on a full team where they have to compete."

And after being on the SHL, I can say I that I see where the concern comes from. There are definitely a few people there every so often who end up complaining about lack of ice time because of more established players getting it/being on the better lines. But the thing to remember there is that those people earned it by earning more tpe. Not to mention in the year I've been on each site, I've seen far more people complain about lack of LR activity than lack of ice time.

Basically I understand the argument, I just don't agree that as many people make it as some think.

Claim them all. Trade them for 3rd/4th round picks. Draft on-the-fence players. Try to keep them around,

Either you misread my comment, or you don't understand the rules of Trade Deadline..

Yeah we are in the stages of long VHLM talks specifically about reduction some sort of salary system and draft trading restrictions in the BoG. I know a few of said that but it's important to state we are aware of the issues currently and know that they need fixing.

I'm personally in favor of a system that favors making the waiver players your most sought after with a high parity so all the teams are competing for new members as they enter the league.

Edited by Mr. Power

• Head Moderator

Everyone should strive to be like Brampton. So make a system that rewards teams like Brampton and people will follow suit.

I might add I'm no longer the GM of Brampton so there isn't a real tangible benefit to me but a team consistently in playoff pursuit with the ability to win in the regular season and a GM that is actively bringing players off waivers should be rewarded.

If you had all teams built with that mentality, the parity would be real close.

Everyone should strive to be like Brampton. So make a system that rewards teams like Brampton and people will follow suit.

I might add I'm no longer the GM of Brampton so there isn't a real tangible benefit to me but a team consistently in playoff pursuit with the ability to win in the regular season and a GM that is actively bringing players off waivers should be rewarded.

If you had all teams built with that mentality, the parity would be real close.

Shutup Fong, seriously. There were more successful teams before you even got to Brampton. Stop floating your own boat here.

• Head Moderator

Shutup Fong, seriously. There were more successful teams before you even got to Brampton. Stop floating your own boat here.

I love my boat and I like to express my opinion of beating the cycle nature of the vhlm :)

Howmany other teams have the same consecutive playoff streak anyways?

Edited by tfong

I love my boat and I like to express my opinion of beating the cycle nature of the vhlm :)

Howmany other teams have the same consecutive playoff streak anyways?

Your whole paragraph reeked of "Brampton has been the most successful franchise ever" "we have a tradition of success thats goes further than anyone". You hardly paid attention the entirety of GM there, don't give me that shit.

The VHLM's always been somewhat of a "too much to one extreme", even back in the old days. Whatever new system is put in, GMs will find a way to exploit it and make things great for people on good teams, and shitty for people on bad teams. It's good that people are still working on making things better.

I'm not opposed to the idea of contraction provided it's not just erasing two teams and maintaining the status quo. Restricting the trade of draft picks is a nice idea that actually makes sense.

Maybe even have an allocation order instead of waiver claims, where players are just added to the first team in line, and that team then moves to the back of the line. Every team gets new players coming in, and hopefully everyone gets new members in their LRs.

Also some of you are arguing and acting like whores and its not at all swell.

• Head Moderator

Your whole paragraph reeked of "Brampton has been the most successful franchise ever" "we have a tradition of success thats goes further than anyone". You hardly paid attention the entirety of GM there, don't give me that shit.

Nope I think you're just making assumptions, the idea I set forth with Brampton was one that missing playoffs is never acceptable and that is how I played it and how I think is how we make the league of parity, It is the mentality to adopt imo and Brampton is the ideal guinea pig so to speak that it can be done and players have been happy there. You're always reading too much into things, I'm a simple person :P

Also I'm not sure where you get off on paying attention to GMing. I think you'll find playres coming through Brampton that I paid quite a bit of attention to each of them :) Or Edgar or the simmers can attest to how often I'm sending in my line changes adapting to the oh so ever changing landscape of the VHLM. Just because I only pay attention to my team doesn't mean I'm lacking in my GM duties.

Oh yeah, still haven't missed the playoffs.

When you get to coach status we'll talk fong

Coaches for Victory Hockey League Update - Sunday, August 09, 2015 at 21:26 Pro Coaches

Coaches Name PH DF OF PD EX LD PO CNT Age Salary Contract

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farm Coaches

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available Coaches

Alex McNeil 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 CAN 32 $0 8 years

Craig Stewart 70 99 60 60 90 90 99 CAN 32 $0 0 year

Danny Flynn 70 90 90 70 95 95 99 USA 42 $0 0 year

Gordon Bombay 50 50 50 50 50 50 99 CAN 52 $0 0 year

Grimm Jonsson 70 60 99 60 90 90 50 ICE 32 $0 0 year

Kevin Brooks 60 60 60 50 60 60 99 USA 32 $0 0 year

Marrko St. Urho 70 50 90 60 80 80 99 USA 71 $0 0 year

Nigel Niggerman 60 50 80 60 70 70 99 NIG 37 $0 6 years

Pavel Bure 70 90 90 70 95 95 99 RUS 42 $0 0 year

Scotty Bowman 70 90 90 70 95 95 99 CAN 72 $0 9 years

Sterling Labatte 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 CAN 37 $0 0 year

Terence Fong 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 JAP 49 $69 0 year

Edited by tfong

Also I'm not sure where you get off on paying attention to GMing.

Uhhhh what? I was a GM for years in the VHLM and as part of the BOG I tend to keep close tabs on the VHLM. Especially since I recruit a ton, I like to make sure that portion of our site is in good order as well. I don't get that comment.