Claimed:Updater Job [Reviewed] [Reviewed]

Kendrick

Updater Job

Many times you'll read a story published by a person who has studied or even experienced a profession that many have never put their shoes in. If you read the New York Times you sometimes will read a story published by a Plumber about plumbing and all the wondering little cracks there are in his job. Maybe you have read something in your local paper that is a piece written by a local fisherman telling you the daily hardships of life at sea and what profit he nets from his trips. Well I am here to write a piece on the life of an Updater in the Victory Hockey League.

I'll start off by saying this piece will generate some discussion just based on the various extremes it goes and who it addresses. As an example I will let you know that some members will be praised for their updating abilities and some will probably be told to go lie down behind the barn and wait for Uncle Wilson to load his rifle. This isn't meant to insult of offend any one individual but to strictly shed some light on the good and bad things in regards to updating. It's a job that isn't really thankless per say, but one that can be overlooked from time to time. Whether it's off-season updates that drag on for an hour, or weekly updates of a 2 TPE welfare pensioner; this is the piece for everyone.

updating.gif

Updating is a job that doesn't see awards much like the Grader awards that come out each year for prized graders. Us Updaters aren't exactly too thrilled about those awards considering the changes to grading have made it a less taxing job than the Updating job, however we go along with it. In fact more members seem to complain about the updaters than they do about the graders (and that's even with Brovy's tardiness on updates). The thing is, a lot of the members don't actually believe their Updater when he says that they messed up or that their player page is correct. It's a puzzling thing to read because often times they either haven't done their math or they simply have no clue about depreciation. However, as someone that has been here since day one of this league; I can tell you that I rarely mess up on an update because the scale and numbers are somewhat imprinted in my mind.

The beauty of Updating is that it can go by quick if members simply do it properly, or it can be a drawn out process that really irritates both parties. I'd like to point out @Frank for a second, because if it was up to me I think every member would have to copy his format and great abilities to update. That isn't just a one time thing, because I've updated @Frank's past players too and he always seems to have it down. The goal is to make things as quick and informative as possible without dragging your updates out over 50 lines in each post. The sad part about this is that if a member makes it a real challenge for the Updater, the Updater gets scolded if he just tells the member to bugger off and correct it. To me that has to change because if the Updater who is updating you asks you to simple fit a format or correct something, you do it. Why? Because this is the guy who is in charge of editing your player thread for the file. You choose to be an ass? Well he can choose to ignore your update. It's not really a debate.

That leads us to the other side of things and that is shitty updaters. @flyersfan1493 is notorious for simply ignoring the wishes of an Updater, which sucks for him because he looks like an idiot in the end of it. Making your updates go so long when you only have 2 things you are updating is irritating. It's irritating to scroll so damn much just to add 2 TPE to Strength and 1 TPE to checking. Keep in mind these Updaters are not just updating your page, they are updating several dozen pages at a time. The goal is to make it quick and thorough to avoid confusion.

Couple things to remember:

• Label your Links
  • Use the Chain Link button above the post to link Links
  • After each link, press SHIFT ENTER to get to the next line
  • Always list your TPE
  • Check your player page on occasion to ensure you are adding to the right total next update
  • Never list things like this (96 4@4 = 97), instead list them like this (96 + 4 = 97). (@ and an extra number is confusing for an Updaters eyes)
  • Copy @Frank

Like I mentioned before, this piece isn't to flame anyone as I know everyone is just putting their updates in, but this is a job that doesn't get a special bonus like the graders and simply collects the 2 TPE at the end of the week for making sure YOUR player is correct for the file. Also just to shed some light on that file, we as Updaters do not touch it. We simple make sure your player thread is ready for the File Updater to come along.

On behalf of @Tim, @Dewie & @CowboyinAmerica

Thank You,

Joey F. Kendrick

updating.gif

7 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

• Never list things like this (96 4@4 = 97), instead list them like this (96 + 4 = 97). (@ and an extra number is confusing for an Updaters eyes)

I actually disagree with this one, because otherwise when people update across multiple scales (i.e. 78 + 10 = 82) it's nicer for me to see it spelled out and make sure it's all done right. Nice piece though!

2 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I actually disagree with this one, because otherwise when people update across multiple scales (i.e. 78 + 10 = 82) it's nicer for me to see it spelled out and make sure it's all done right. Nice piece though!

I tend to break mine up when they change where they are on the scale, like so:

Face Offs: 77 + 6 = 80

Face Offs: 80 + 8 = 82 2/3

2 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

That one is more preference of the person updating, I'll admit. I have somewhat got the whole update scales thing down to the point where they add TPE across scales I just kick in that thought.

Just now, Molholt said:

I tend to break mine up when they change where they are on the scale, like so:

Face Offs: 77 + 6 = 80

Face Offs: 80 + 8 = 82 2/3

Yeah similar and actually quite easy. I know you did that last Update which was actually a good idea.

Indeed, I agree with Kendrick and Molholt. I always found the +7 @4 thing annoying when I updated for the VFL aeons ago because I'M A FUCKING UPDATER I KNOW WHAT THE SCALE IS STOP ADDING RANDOM ADDITIONAL CHARACTERS TO YOUR UPDATE

But it can indeed get tricky when you "jump scales," which is why I personally use Molholt's method. Rarely, mind you, because most the time if I've reached a new scale I jump to a different attribute anyway.

Finally, Frank obviously ripped off my method of updating. In fact I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was literally proof of this on the original site. But he wins because he doesn't keep using the wrong original values on his attributes. :P

3 hours ago, Victor said:

Definitely agree with using the chain to link things. This was a tiny update I just did and was painful as fuck. http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/26018-rw-kendrick-cole/&do=findComment&comment=316523

I think it was that soccer league that died, or something. I saw that format somewhere and it was mandated by the league to do it like that. So bad lol.

I dunno, these aren't half as bad as Yousuf's though.

4 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Yeah, there's been times where I've had to write out the updates to make sure they correspond with the update scale when I've updated.

7 hours ago, Victor said:

Definitely agree with using the chain to link things. This was a tiny update I just did and was painful as fuck. http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/26018-rw-kendrick-cole/&do=findComment&comment=316523

Yours actually is pretty good. In fact the process of you listing all the links first is exactly how I want @flyersfan1493 to do it. Instead of putting each link and where it is going, it's easier if you add it all up at the end instead of doing it step by step.

LINK +3

LINK +3

LINK +5

+11 to ________

is a lot better than what he is currently doing.

Also, I'm not sure if they did Grader awards this year but it always strikes me is odd that we did them in the first place.

Review:

Good insight into reviewing. I hope I'm not one with the hard to manage update threads. That shift+return doesn't seem to work for me though, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's nice to read articles about things that aren't necessarily centered around a made up player and actually the innerworkings of the league. Thanks for the look at updating.

3 hours ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

Review:

Good insight into reviewing. I hope I'm not one with the hard to manage update threads. That shift+return doesn't seem to work for me though, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's nice to read articles about things that aren't necessarily centered around a made up player and actually the innerworkings of the league. Thanks for the look at updating.

Where are you pressing it?

8 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I copy and paste it, before I can even do anything, it pops it into that window.

You need to use the "LINK" looking chain icon above the post. It's between the Underline and the Quotation marks.