A Devise Perspective: Prominent Faces Need To Take Initiative [Reviewed]

Devise

In my last published media spot, I presented a retrospective on my time in the league. I used it as a means of conveying the change, both good and bad that the VHL has undergone since my time here. It wasn't an attempt to take shots at anyone, but just an honest look at what has been happening and to get some of my thoughts on it. I sit here today, after browsing some of the VHL forums during my first week of shifts at The Home Depot doing overnight stuff. I came home, had a beer, and decided to remove the safeugard a bit and just rant. Something I'm known to do but have stopped a lot since I've gotten older. Mostly because I realize that a lot of people probably have no interest in my opinion. But sometimes I just feel better regardless of feedback have vented some of my thoughts, frustrations and analysis. So with that I present a (likely not every week, but probably at least once a month) Devise Perspective! This will be a media spot series where I just give some honest in depth thoughts on things. 

Today's topic? How the prominent, elite and upper tier members of today need to take initiative. It's something that is very easy to say, especially as an opening statement. But as I tend to do with everything, and as is the whole point of this, let's put some perspective on it shall we? Seasons and seasons ago the Board of Governors, and for those who don't know the BoG is a group of mostly locker room leaders and prominent members throughout the leagues vast history; anyways it was decreed by a crop of younger up and coming people and a few others that we were a "old boys club." Some like Sterling the wise suggested that it had something to do with a lack of information flowing out from the BoG. However Draper, Kendrick, Advantage Victor, even Sterling at times and myself have all thrown out tons of info about what has been happening in the BoG over the years. The result is almost always the same. People loosely talk about it, but for the most part go "oh right you guys are pretty well rounded, meh." Then seasons later forget we even tried to leak that information. When you combine that with how old some of the BoG members are, not just in life years but also the VHL years. The majority of us are on our 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th players. You are noticing more and more BoG members turn to PT sometimes, welfare often. And instead of seeing what I was hoping to see, in fact what I think the VHL desperately needs right now, what do we get? People complaining because welfare incentives are too high. People who i'd like to remind you don't even do a point task every week much less earn the 9 TPE cap. But even if you ignore TPE. it gets back to what I was hoping we'd see as us the older generation took a step back from the league. Leaders.

For all the shit talking, the shots fired, and the debating of what is best for the league do you know what every member of the BoG has been at one point or another? A league leader. I'm not just talking point tasks and TPE either. We have all contributed, in significantly under appreciated ways. But every time any topic about this gets brought up it gets treated as if we are trying to create martyr's out of our time in the league. As if our contributions should then be heralded. If you take one thing from this media spot, let it be that the truth couldn't be further from whatever pre conceived notions you have about older members stroking their own ego's or trying to show up how good they are because of what they have done here. 

No, instead, focus on WHY we became members of this old boys club. Why most (not me since my player making skills are shit) have tons of HoF members. Again, because we lead in some way. We put our effort, our time, our hours, to make this league better. And now that we have all stepped down, do you know what it is that would be great if the rest of you newer faces, or returning faces who have never been too prominent could do? The exact same thing. Get league jobs, make suggestions, pitch your suggestions to the Blue Team. Hell Draper and I have made it publicly known, on top of a few other members here such as STZ that we'd love to see something big changes/events happen in Season 50. How come this forum isn't exploding with any idea that you can throw? Sure they may not all stick, but some will, and it could end up making this league much better for the future. Why in the hell do I have to even post this? Why can't this be a media spot about how awesome the newer generation of this community currently is? For the longest time that has been the "path" of this league. When I joined, Jardy was only getting his feet wet simming, we had guys like Squinty, Koradek, Kyle, Jericho, Higgins playing more prominent roles. Advantage and myself weren't even GM's. Hell Knight was an admin. Since then, I've seen Yeah, Draper, Flyersfan, Molholt (who ran the Mag for a while, he gets it) Boubabi, Green, STZ, Cowboy, I mean should I keep listing? Every time, a new generation of 2, 3, maybe 4 members takes over. They lead, take prominent roles officially or unofficially all to push this league forward and help give us more and more faces. The fact that we went nearly two weeks without a single post in the suggestions and complaints forum, and even on top of that the forum has twisted itself into literally being nothing more than minor, trivial complaints is a travesty.

I mean, maybe I could understand if the league was humming along at some crazy high pace, but it isn't. Which isn't some moment of victory for me because I can make a point here. It's sad. Because I very much look forward to new leaders and new faces one day joining the BoG, and helping us continue to give just worthy fresh outlooks on the best options to take the league forward for the future. Members who represent different view points and experiences. I don't want to call any members out specifically for not leading either, because that isn't what this is about. However I do challenge any and all members in this league to start filling up the Blue Teams and BoG members, including my own, PM inbox. Let us hear those suggestions for Season 50. Not just complaints because the league is too hard, or because your frustrated that a few welfare members earn a measly 4 TPE per week. I also challenge those members to get after it. Create a media spot series, start podcasting, start collaborating with others who do those things. Let's get some posts started in other places of the board, generating that discussion. I mean how can something as large in scope as Civil War come out and we have a dead movie discussion that has barely anything in it from this entire calendar year? Why is it that this so called "old boys club" who has to constantly start things for you? This is your VHL, not ours, so take it by the damn balls and run with it! 

• JPL changed the title to A Devise Perspective: Prominent Faces Need To Take Initiative [Reviewed]
19 hours ago, Victor said:

Devise often makes great points, I just wish he presented them in a way that people would read.

He needs an assistant to follow him around and summarise his key points in a couple lines.

Yes I've always found this to be true as well

Review #2: I feel like people are afraid to make suggestions due to how strongly people feel about stupid shit. My LR suggestion turned into something waaaaayy more than what it should have been and seeing something like that can easily steer people away from making suggestions. 

On 5/14/2016 at 4:44 PM, Victor said:

Devise often makes great points, I just wish he presented them in a way that people would read.

He needs an assistant to follow him around and summarise his key points in a couple lines.

I got this.

- BOG tried spreading word of their discussion and people sorta didn't care.

- Calling out other members along with members of BOG to step up and help league grow.

23 minutes ago, Evans said:

Review #2: I feel like people are afraid to make suggestions due to how strongly people feel about stupid shit. My LR suggestion turned into something waaaaayy more than what it should have been and seeing something like that can easily steer people away from making suggestions. 

Yours was a very specific case because it's an issue that's been discussed multiple times.

• Admin
30 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I got this.

- BOG tried spreading word of their discussion and people sorta didn't care.

- Calling out other members along with members of BOG to step up and help league grow.

Hired.