Claimed:Boredom

Evans

Girls on HBO boredom halloween hbo girls

I pride myself on being able to grit my teeth and grind through things. Whether it be shitty situations at work or at home, I find myself just lowering my head, saying "fuck it" and getting done whatever I am dreading doing. Usually by the time I get done, things weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Sometimes it makes you feel like you're over reacting or mentally psyching yourself out. Hockey is one of those things for me. 

Every week I sit down on Sunday night and get ready to do my point tasks for the majority of the leagues I am in. I always find myself dreading getting to this point and doing the point tasks for this league. I feel like every single week when I have to write one of these, I am just pulling ideas out of my ass and trying to ramble until I reach the appropriate word count. I have minimal hockey knowledge and for some reason the league has not been able to spark my interest in it one bit. It could be that it's because we are in the heart of the NBA playoffs right now, but I have not even attempted to turn a hockey game on since joining here (despite saying I would try to do so).

So many of you may ask "Why am I here if I have no interest in the sport?". Well, I'm competitive as shit when it comes to these types of things. When I was younger, I was always one of the players that signed up promising to be active only to fizzle out a few weeks later due to player performance or just losing interest. I like competing against other people and really like doing so when I am at a disadvantage. Something about having your back against the wall makes me more likely to try harder when it comes to something. I know very minimal about this sim engine or how to build a player, but I am going to take pride in finding out by trial and error, hopefully leading to a player that is considered the top one at his position prior to retirement. 

I also will always support the idea of sim leagues due to growing up with them. I first joined sim leagues in eighth grade and it completely changed the way I decided to look at writing. Stories never really sparked my interest until I was able to sit down behind a computer screen myself and try to make a logical story about a player that didn't actually exist. It got the creative juices flowing for me and really helped me improve my skills in certain classes that required it. It opened up a whole new world to me that I didn't know existed and then it all went away. Then it was back. Then it was gone. Then it was back. The life of the first sim leagues I took part in were always short and always went down a path that lead to their own destruction. Now we live in a sim league world where we actually have options. 

I guess I am writing this thing suggesting that we should look into ways of sparking the interest of people that aren't really "hockey guys". If I wasn't so competitive, I probably wouldn't find myself taking the time to try and build a great player here. That's not a knock against the league by any means, just the truth. We need to develop different ways to recruit different kinds of people. We have sim leaguers, hockey guys, and guys with no commitment to either that we need to individually find a way to recruit. We have a great member base here and need to keep adding new blood around it. Some of those guys will stick and some of those guys won't, but traffic always makes a league look more appealing. 

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, but the way that this league talks about it's demise is really funny. Some people act like there is nothing we can do to stop it from happening, when that's the furthest thing from the truth. This league isn't going anywhere, but we do need to make a change to get excitement around these parts again. Put that tingle back in my dingle. 

• Admin

I don't know if it's target demographic, only a few guys like you have come over generally from football leagues without any prior interest in hockey.

I haven't watched hockey in many years but I did when I joined - if I wasn't in the league now and someone tried to recruit me, I doubt I would join. Given how active I am and I still feel that way, I just can't see how it can be improved - the only appeal is as you mentioned other factors (competitiveness, sim league past, etc.).

4 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

so what would you suggest as someone who doesn't really care for hockey?

I'm not really sure lol. I just know that there are times that doing my PTs here seem more like a task than something I want to do. I blame that on not having interest in the sport outside of here

7 minutes ago, Victor said:

I don't know if it's target demographic, only a few guys like you have come over generally from football leagues without any prior interest in hockey.

I haven't watched hockey in many years but I did when I joined - if I wasn't in the league now and someone tried to recruit me, I doubt I would join. Given how active I am and I still feel that way, I just can't see how it can be improved - the only appeal is as you mentioned other factors (competitiveness, sim league past, etc.).

I know it may sound dumb, but maybe a recruiting message that includes the likes of some of the people over here and their previous sim league names?

People interested in sim leagues are always more likely to sign up for a place if they recognize a name there. It was definitely one of the factors in me signing up here over SHL. I recognized a lot of the names. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Evans said:

I know it may sound dumb, but maybe a recruiting message that includes the likes of some of the people over here and their previous sim league names?

People interested in sim leagues are always more likely to sign up for a place if they recognize a name there. It was definitely one of the factors in me signing up here over SHL. I recognized a lot of the names. 

That does sound like a good idea tbh. When advertising on football sites we can say, hey!, we have scrubs you might recognise like @CowboyinAmerica and Evans and whatever the fuck @YEAH!stlemania's original username was.

Just now, Victor said:

That does sound like a good idea tbh. When advertising on football sites we can say, hey!, we have scrubs you might recognise like @CowboyinAmerica and Evans and whatever the fuck @YEAH!stlemania's original username was.

I think most of those who'd still be interested in these things would know me as "YEAH!", since it's been four years since I went by my original name (lynchtheram).

10 minutes ago, Victor said:

I've matured to the point where I dropped the 0415 from my name.