2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised a team got double digits on the scoreboard. Even more surprised it was Columbus, and even more surprised it was against a good defensive team like the Canadiens. That was literally a huge shock!

On 11/5/2016 at 9:52 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Matt Martin is a piece of trash. hes like 6'3 225 going after a NHL rookie whos 5'9/5'10 185 dripping wet real big tough guy 

Not sure who he went after but did the rookie deserve it? We talking about Marner?

On 11/5/2016 at 9:52 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Matt Martin is a piece of trash. hes like 6'3 225 going after a NHL rookie whos 5'9/5'10 185 dripping wet real big tough guy 

He got me 19 PIM in fantasy and he gets me all the hits I could ask for. That's the only value he has to me.

3 hours ago, tfong said:

Not sure who he went after but did the rookie deserve it? We talking about Marner?

If Matt Martin went after Marner, I think there would be bigger problems.

Matt Martin went after Stecher.

Boo. Just straight fucking boo, like what a heel move type shit by the NHL on the All Star voting. Basically introducing an "anti" John Scott rule clause so that nobody who plays in the AHL by a "set" date unless for conditioning is considered eligible. 

To do it the season right after Scott got in, and it was such a great feel good story, just such a spit in the face of Scott and players like him. Sure we are trying to get some of that type of limited player skillset out of the game, just because of the value of how useful they actually are now, doesn't mean we need to act arrogant and spit in their faces. Players of that ilk still have SOME value, and lets not forget they used to have tons of value. In the old days when the rules were different and having bruisers to look out for your top players was top of the game, they had a place. They are a part of history, stop trying to pretend they aren't. As much as I do appreciate some of the modern evolution's the sport has taken, I still feel that tough as nails "Rough Canada" attitude the sport has is apart of it's legacy. We still allow fighting, heavy hits, blocked shots, players getting stitched on the bench and not missing a shift. These guys are tougher than regular athletes because they play hockey. Minimizing how much of that we see on the ice, more specifically allowing the game to become a bit faster and skilled based is fine. But you can't straight up remove the tough aspects or you'll ruin the sport imo.

Anyway I guess all I'll say more on this is, why didn't they just change the format all together? The fan vote stuff that happened with Scott shouldn't of been a lesson to mess up the already shitty format with more technicalities. It should of been a lesson that the format for the All Star game sucks. Some stakes should be added to that thing to give some interest, but allowing fans to vote in any player doesn't really make it an All Star game. Fan voting is probably not the way to go with that thing, at least not for the entire roster. For my money they could easily add stakes to the game by letting the players get involved in more of the process. 

Make it Young Stars vs All Stars game. Let the players and GM's determine the All Stars. Really most people in the league aren't so bloody biased that they don't know who should be recognized for what they do. Players have a say in several NHL awards as an example of this. Then put something on the line imo. Not money, but something. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Boo. Just straight fucking boo, like what a heel move type shit by the NHL on the All Star voting. Basically introducing an "anti" John Scott rule clause so that nobody who plays in the AHL by a "set" date unless for conditioning is considered eligible. 

To do it the season right after Scott got in, and it was such a great feel good story, just such a spit in the face of Scott and players like him. Sure we are trying to get some of that type of limited player skillset out of the game, just because of the value of how useful they actually are now, doesn't mean we need to act arrogant and spit in their faces. Players of that ilk still have SOME value, and lets not forget they used to have tons of value. In the old days when the rules were different and having bruisers to look out for your top players was top of the game, they had a place. They are a part of history, stop trying to pretend they aren't. As much as I do appreciate some of the modern evolution's the sport has taken, I still feel that tough as nails "Rough Canada" attitude the sport has is apart of it's legacy. We still allow fighting, heavy hits, blocked shots, players getting stitched on the bench and not missing a shift. These guys are tougher than regular athletes because they play hockey. Minimizing how much of that we see on the ice, more specifically allowing the game to become a bit faster and skilled based is fine. But you can't straight up remove the tough aspects or you'll ruin the sport imo.

Anyway I guess all I'll say more on this is, why didn't they just change the format all together? The fan vote stuff that happened with Scott shouldn't of been a lesson to mess up the already shitty format with more technicalities. It should of been a lesson that the format for the All Star game sucks. Some stakes should be added to that thing to give some interest, but allowing fans to vote in any player doesn't really make it an All Star game. Fan voting is probably not the way to go with that thing, at least not for the entire roster. For my money they could easily add stakes to the game by letting the players get involved in more of the process. 

Make it Young Stars vs All Stars game. Let the players and GM's determine the All Stars. Really most people in the league aren't so bloody biased that they don't know who should be recognized for what they do. Players have a say in several NHL awards as an example of this. Then put something on the line imo. Not money, but something. 

I mean I think the new format was actually cool, with the 4 teams, 3 on 3, and more incentives. I enjoyed that much more than any other in recent memory, but yeah that fan vote rule is dumb

Just do the 5 on 5 East/West. The players are voted in by the Writers and the final vote is done by the fans from a select group of players. East vs. West were the fun years and so much more enjoyable to pit two conference against each other. Also, please bring back the Top Rookies/Sophomore game.

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Just do the 5 on 5 East/West. The players are voted in by the Writers and the final vote is done by the fans from a select group of players. East vs. West were the fun years and so much more enjoyable to pit two conference against each other. Also, please bring back the Top Rookies/Sophomore game.

I'm not against that. Could even add in for stakes purposes that the winning conference is the conference that gets home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup finals.