2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

1 hour ago, Mr. Power said:

I'm not against that. Could even add in for stakes purposes that the winning conference is the conference that gets home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup finals. 

That's how the MLB does it and it brings meaning to the game.

I think its dumb to give whichever conference home ice advantage if they win the all-star game. Why would a team bust its ass all season to be guaranteed home ice by winning the presidents trophy all of a sudden not get that right just because the conference the team plays in lost a glorified all-star game. the all-star game may not be interesting but I mean is just supposed to be a chill weekend. I am also against the MLB and how they do that for the all-star game. 

2 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

I think its dumb to give whichever conference home ice advantage if they win the all-star game. Why would a team bust its ass all season to be guaranteed home ice by winning the presidents trophy all of a sudden not get that right just because the conference the team plays in lost a glorified all-star game. the all-star game may not be interesting but I mean is just supposed to be a chill weekend. I am also against the MLB and how they do that for the all-star game. 

They bust their ass all season to have a higher seed advantage in the post-season and get home ice advantage within their own conference. But the All Star Game in the NHL lacks serious meaning. This would clean that up for sure. Make the all star coaches from each conference too, and then the whole team and conference has something to play for. They know if they get that deep in the playoffs and hit the finals they want that home ice advantage. Those home line changes are super crucial in the NHL. 

Just now, Mr. Power said:

They bust their ass all season to have a higher seed advantage in the post-season and get home ice advantage within their own conference. But the All Star Game in the NHL lacks serious meaning. This would clean that up for sure. Make the all star coaches from each conference too, and then the whole team and conference has something to play for. They know if they get that deep in the playoffs and hit the finals they want that home ice advantage. Those home line changes are super crucial in the NHL. 

I think you will find it hard pressed to give an NHL all-star game true meaning because it is not like the NBA or MLB where you can go all out because those sports are non contact. this is why people dont like the NHL All-star game or the NFL's pro bowl because players dont really hit so they wont get hurt. and if you are a fan of these two sports and watch all the time the hitting aspect getting taken out really makes the game suffer. making the winner get home ice advantage in the playoffs would make me not like the game a lot less tbh. but thats just me. I love the skills competition but I agree the all-star game lacks. but i dont think that will ever change because players dont want to get hurt 

6 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

I think you will find it hard pressed to give an NHL all-star game true meaning because it is not like the NBA or MLB where you can go all out because those sports are non contact. this is why people dont like the NHL All-star game or the NFL's pro bowl because players dont really hit so they wont get hurt. and if you are a fan of these two sports and watch all the time the hitting aspect getting taken out really makes the game suffer. making the winner get home ice advantage in the playoffs would make me not like the game a lot less tbh. but thats just me. I love the skills competition but I agree the all-star game lacks. but i dont think that will ever change because players dont want to get hurt 

But that is the point. By upping the stakes the coaches on each conference are going to demand that the ASG players bring more. Because I promise you an NHL level coach isn't going to be sitting there having lost home ice advantage in the Finals and have to give up a bad goal because they didn't have last change on a crucial play thinking that they aren't going to try to change that next season. Coaches more than anything else in the NHL look for every little advantage, because of how stupid high NHL parity is at. 

Thus the players do as well. The league needs to better sell the All Star game with a few more hits and forechecks anyway. It's a time when you see a lot of casual ices on the sport and your more likely to attract fans if you showcase exactly what the sport has to offer. 

32 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Florida fires their coach...only for the GM to step in, who apparently has gone from AHL coach -> NHL GM -> NHL coach all in one season/off-season.

And I thought Florida was moving in the right direction...

i dont understand this decision at all. The panthers are without Jonathan Huberdeau and Nick Bjugstad. little bit of a overreaction here

8 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

i dont understand this decision at all. The panthers are without Jonathan Huberdeau and Nick Bjugstad. little bit of a overreaction here

This. Injuries were the reason for their position, when those guys come back the new coach will look like a genius when it isn't his master plan. Marc Crawford?

12 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Don't know if I'd say it's a dirty hit but I really don't see the point of it in a 10-1 game with 3 minutes left.

You finish you check regardless. You don't lay off just because of the scoreline. In fact that hit is great because its something they can show young players on how a hip check is performed properly.

14 hours ago, Kendrick said:

You finish you check regardless. You don't lay off just because of the scoreline. In fact that hit is great because its something they can show young players on how a hip check is performed properly.

What he did after was being a coward, man up don't go run and hide behind your goalie, but doesn't really matter as Montreal will get destroyed by a more physical and talented team

13 minutes ago, Smarch said:

What he did after was being a coward, man up don't go run and hide behind your goalie, but doesn't really matter as Montreal will get destroyed by a more physical and talented team

Oh the follow up was total pussy mode. The hit itself was great and I'd encourage that. Emelin does have a reputation for never facing the music though. But come on Smarch, this is a team that complains when their defensemen run opposing players into Carey Price, they are not the brightest stars in the sky.