2016/17 Football Discussion

At LEAST 4 games for Auguero - possibly five, since he got sent off for violent conduct already this season. Fernandinho will probably just get 3... but slimy Fab should have also been sent off.

But Auguero;s the biggest dickhead with the smallest dick

4 hours ago, Phil said:

At LEAST 4 games for Auguero - possibly five, since he got sent off for violent conduct already this season. Fernandinho will probably just get 3... but slimy Fab should have also been sent off.

But Auguero;s the biggest dickhead with the smallest dick

Fab? The guy who was only starting because of a minor injury to Matic, who should be back next week? Suuuuure, suspend him, it will affect the lineup 0 times.

On 11/27/2016 at 3:26 PM, flyersfan1493 said:

For those who know the history of soccer better than me, would it be fair to say that Chelsea and Tottenham were on a similar level before Abramovich? Just looking at their trophies and where they finished in the table, seems like they both were clubs that had moments of success towards the top of the table but were largely mediocre.

If we're talking from a Premier League era standpoint (so 92-93 onwards) you'd probably still have to say that Chelsea were a better team than Tottenham. Chelsea had gotten to a point round '96 where they could consistently make it into Europe, whereas Spurs were more of a mid-table team that didn't really get going until Martin Jol took over, which I think was a couple of years after Abramovic

• Admin
1 hour ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

If we're talking from a Premier League era standpoint (so 92-93 onwards) you'd probably still have to say that Chelsea were a better team than Tottenham. Chelsea had gotten to a point round '96 where they could consistently make it into Europe, whereas Spurs were more of a mid-table team that didn't really get going until Martin Jol took over, which I think was a couple of years after Abramovic

True, I always keep forgetting about that but Chelsea circa 98/2000 was quite decent indeed. Zola, Hasselbaink, Poyet a bunch of surprising older players like Deschamps and Desailly.

The rise wasn't extreme as City's for sure.

11 hours ago, Victor said:

True, I always keep forgetting about that but Chelsea circa 98/2000 was quite decent indeed. Zola, Hasselbaink, Poyet a bunch of surprising older players like Deschamps and Desailly.

The rise wasn't extreme as City's for sure.

Good old Jimmy Floyd...

Weird part to me is that there's a guy from the tail end of the pre Abramovich era that's still playing (Eidur Gudjohnsen) when guys like Drogba/Lampard/Terry are all winding it down. Even weirder part is I actually looked it up, Gudjohnsen is YOUNGER than Drogba and Lampard (only by months, and all three have a few years over Terry) when I'd have sworn up and down, just based on eras with Chelsea, that Gudjohnsen would have been older by a few years at least.

• Admin
3 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Good old Jimmy Floyd...

Weird part to me is that there's a guy from the tail end of the pre Abramovich era that's still playing (Eidur Gudjohnsen) when guys like Drogba/Lampard/Terry are all winding it down. Even weirder part is I actually looked it up, Gudjohnsen is YOUNGER than Drogba and Lampard (only by months, and all three have a few years over Terry) when I'd have sworn up and down, just based on eras with Chelsea, that Gudjohnsen would have been older by a few years at least.

Well they're all still playing ;) Drogba and Lampard tearing up the MLS while Gerrard retires.

10 hours ago, Victor said:

Well they're all still playing ;) Drogba and Lampard tearing up the MLS while Gerrard retires.

Yeah I said winding it down. Drogba is not extending his deal with Impact. Lamps will definitely be back for NYCFC, but for how many years?

• Admin
10 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Yeah I said winding it down. Drogba is not extending his deal with Impact. Lamps will definitely be back for NYCFC, but for how many years?

Eh I wouldn't exactly say Gudjohnsen is not winding it down.

I think it's impressive they're all still around but I wouldn't make a particular distinction between any of them at this point - i.e. they're all old and somehow not retired yet.

7 hours ago, Victor said:

Eh I wouldn't exactly say Gudjohnsen is not winding it down.

I think it's impressive they're all still around but I wouldn't make a particular distinction between any of them at this point - i.e. they're all old and somehow not retired yet.

Somehow not retired yet - in two of their cases this is solely due to the existence of a league in a country made of money, but shit at the sport. MLS is the perfect retirement home.

1 minute ago, Victor said:

How can you be too far gone, have you told anyone?

I've come out of the Hull closet, yes. And then I actually get into games. It's tragic.

Edited by Spangle