Claimed:Seattle Regretting Decision

Jamie

SEATTLE REGRETTING DECISION

contract.jpeg

At the S35 draft it was a surprise for both sides when the GM of Seattle stepped up to the podium and called out Brennan McQueen's name at the 8th overall selection. Things ended pretty rocky between the Bears and the player agent that represents McQueen when his old client; Mack Hudson, retired early leaving the team without a goalie. At the draft they really had no choice as it was fairly shallow talent wise and McQueen was the only prospect left at #8 who had shown a strong compete level. Brennan was excited just to be drafted and the Bears were getting a prospect that looked promising so it all worked out in the end.

There was agreement on both sides that McQueen would spend another season in the VHLM developing his game and looking for a championship with the Ottawa Lynx. That season was no problem to hash out contract talks but it was the seasons after that would cause a struggle. As an RFA player the team would hold the rights for 3 seasons and GM Greg Harbinson wanted to lock up his player for the entirety of it. The amount that Brennan would make the following season could not be agreed upon, however. Finally they would rest at signing a one year contract and bring up the rest in the future.

As the VHLM season went on, McQueen continued to improve at a steady rate and Seattle came knocking to talk about the contract once again. Brennan stayed strong that he wanted a contract value of $4,000,000 the following season for training purposes in the off-season. Greg said he couldn't afford any more than $3,000,000, "This team doesn't have the room moving forward to pay you 4 million a season. You have a good player and could be on a team that is set to win during your entire career." Looking at the state of the Seattle franchise and where they were in cap didn't make any sense that he couldn't offer up that extra million for the next season so Brennan stayed strong on his wishes. McQueen stated from day one that he would love to play his entire career with the franchise that drafts him so it's not like he had it in for the Bears. Finally he got a message that said, "If you want to make 4 million a season on terrible teams that's your choice. If someone wants to pay you 4 million I will let them." Not long after McQueen was traded to the Riga Reign.

The trade saw Edwin Encarnacion traded straight up for Brennan McQueen. It brought a bit of confusion to the league but they didn't know what happened behind closed doors in Seattle. Encarnacion was selected two positions ahead of McQueen in the S35 VHL Entry Draft. Seattle was already known for having a strong defensive core and lacking at the forward position where Riga was in need of everything just starting their rebuild. At the time, Edwin Encarancion looked to be the better prospect which is why he went higher in the draft but looking today it seems like a steal for the Reign. Encarnacion has all but disappeared and hasn't put in any effort to improve his game where McQueen has not slowed down one bit and looks very strong to start this season and his VHL career.

Forwarding ahead to present time the Seattle Bears have a total contracts of $23,500,000 with the cap being at $32,000,000. As was mentioned Brennan McQueen was more than happy to play with the team so it's puzzling that they couldn't afford that extra million on the contract for a season. Maybe they expected to have a few free agents sign with them but that plan didn't work out. If I were them I would regret the trade but maybe they are just happy to get rid of a controversial player. I just don't see the Bears at a competing level and if they keep making moves like this one, they will never be.
Edited by Jamie

If we had known YEAH was planning on going inactive before the trade, it obviously would have never been done. 

We have an amazing crop of players right now and we're just missing one/two pieces. Once we get those guys, this team will finally be where we wanted it to be. This season will be a fight to make playoffs, but after that I'm certain the Bears will be one of the best in the league. 

Core including: 808, greg, Noah, sball, Toast, CIA, Muffins and myself.

We also have YEAH who sadly went inactive but how could we regret trading you? You didn't have a good attitude and acted like you didn't even want to be on Seattle. As for Fong vs 808, both are great guys, either would have been exceptional 1st overall picks, but 808 was a position we needed more than Fong. 

If anything, we likely regret making our pick at #8 for you

#fuckJamie. 

If anything ur just acting salty cause you'll rot on a bad team for a couple of seasons and quit just like Hudson. How did you expect Greg to give u 4 mil when you already bailed on the franchise once, esspecially since your player wasn't even in the VHL at the time.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl have you lost cha damn mind?

You're mad that you have to captain a crappy team that will miss the playoffs once again.

Yea I'm mad I'm the captain of a team you got shipped me offed of. Damn you saw right through me.

Hmm we didn't make the playoffs when you were in Seattle, but were gonna make the playoffs when you get traded away from Seattle, guess that makes Greg a bad GM. Let's throw logic out the window and say we would be a better team with someone who can't put up 80 points in the M while on the best team in the whole league. That'll make sense i'm sure of it. Have fun not making the playoffs for your entire career ;)