Vasteras Strikes Out in Free Agency

Corco

Vasteras Leaves Free Agency Empty-Handed

bolts-big.r.jpg

Teemu Lehtinen was one of the free agents that declined to join the Vasteras Iron Eagles

VASTERAS, Sweden - There was no luck to be had in free agency for Vasteras this off-season. All players that were offered a contract by the Iron Eagles declined, those players being: Felix Zamora (CGY>QUE), Odin Tordahl (HEL>DAV), Chico Salmon (CGY>TOR), and Teemu Lehtinen (TOR>TOR). All options would have been guaranteed first line time with Willem Janssen and Leon Leitner, as well as PP/PK time. As it stands right now, the Iron Eagles have slightly more than five million in cap space with five forwards, four defenders, and one goaltender, and it appears that they will start the season that way. When asked about how he felt about being spurned by every big-name free agent available, GM client Eggly Bagelface had this to say, "Yeah, it is definitely disappointing, but it's just one of those things that you have to get over and move on. I don't think Vasteras has ever been a hotspot for free agents, but I felt we could really compete with other rising teams such as Davos or Seattle if we signed one of the available guys. But like I said, you just have to get over it and keep moving forward. We have a good couple of guys here right now, and we definitely will still be trying our hardest to make the playoffs this season, despite the seemingly large odds against us."

• Admin

They're just a terrible location tbh. At least for me that is more important than the fact they also have a shitty history, have reached two finals since S2, have not made the playoffs for more than two years in a row since S4, and have one cup since S1 (in S26) since which they have only made the playoffs once.

But I've played for them. I might again. They are terrible though.

But really, Vasteras was an arbitrary city with no real relevance, someone found it on google maps and wanted to be a hipster.  The rest is history.

This. Scotty gave the GM job to Pensfan who had some weird crush on a stupid Swedish hockey that wasn't even that good. He even does podcasts and writes stories about the team. Then they suck.

butthurt

Nah not really. At this point I'd be fine with a relocation, and I can completely understand people disliking the location, but the only other real reason that people cite for hating the franchise makes them sound like the ones that were butthurt (problems with Pensfan, problems with the most recent cup team despite the fact that much more annoying and chirpy teams, like Kyle's Volkov-era Davos, are remembered fondly in retrospect).

Nah not really. At this point I'd be fine with a relocation, and I can completely understand people disliking the location, but the only other real reason that people cite for hating the franchise makes them sound like the ones that were butthurt (problems with Pensfan, problems with the most recent cup team despite the fact that much more annoying and chirpy teams, like Kyle's Volkov-era Davos, are remembered fondly in retrospect).

Yes, because that Vasteras team was so quiet and won with grace.  :lol:

Mine has nothing to do with butthurt. I think you are out of the loop. So many people hated the idea from day 1 of the first season when it came to Vasteras, hell no one knew where the fuck it was and Pensfan was an idiot for going through with it. Im not butthurt, just hate when stupid ideas come to fruition.

Mine has nothing to do with butthurt. I think you are out of the loop. So many people hated the idea from day 1 of the first season when it came to Vasteras, hell no one knew where the fuck it was and Pensfan was an idiot for going through with it. Im not butthurt, just hate when stupid ideas come to fruition.

I didn't really think you were anyways.

Yes, because that Vasteras team was so quiet and won with grace.  :lol:

Kinda like the Davos team, right?

How is the location of Vasteras any different than Davos, Cologne, and Riga?

I wouldn't include Cologne or Riga, since Riga is the capital of a country and Cologne is a major German city.

• Admin

Kinda like the Davos team, right?

Well that should say something. Two teams, both in locations I hadn't heard of outside of this league (and I'm European), neither well loved when they won a cup, yet Vasteras' reputation lives on and Davos starts anew each cycle, all that's remembered is they won cups and we're successful.

Who care about the reasoning, fact is this is engrained into VHL society.

When people think Swiss hockey they think Davos. When people think Latvia hockey they think Riga. When people think German hockey, most to my knowledge think Köln. When people think Swedish hockey they think Malmo/Stockholm or that funny sounding one where all the Swedes come from, they don't think Vasteras. Not to mention Vasteras is a carbon copy of the actual team in Vasteras. So that's not original at all.

I'm just saying that people say their is history there and we shouldn't remove them, however the history is very very negative so how does that help their image?