VHFL: The Reboot

FacePuncher

As you all know, our vhl version of fantasy has been pretty off and on. Advertising has been very lax and even full seasons have been skipped. Well, I have decided to take over as the new VHLFantasy coordinator, and it's with pleasure that I announce to you the latest and greatest VHFL Reboot in all its glory! These are the new features that this league will hold.

1. New Scoring System

Goals: 2

Assists: 1

Hits: 0.2

Shot Blocks: 0.8

Wins(Goalies): 1

Shutouts: 5

Saves: 0.07

This is now the new scoring system for the VHFL! What's different, you might ask? Well, let me tell you. First of all, shot block value has risen from 0.5 to 0.8, and shutout value has raised drastically from 2 to 5 points! Lastly, tiered systems for hits and save percentage have been removed because that was some serious bs! Now you get points for every hit you get for 0.2, and every save you make for 0.07 points. 

These would be the top 10 scorers from last season in this system:

1. Francis York Morgan - 237.4
  2. Jeff Hamilton - 234.4
  3. Phil Hamilton - 228.0
  4. Jon Sleeman - 224.8
  5. Edwin Reencarnacion - 219.8
  6. Zach Parechkin - 218.4
  7. Unassisted - 216.6
  8. Jorma Ruutu - 212.8
  9. Aleksi Koponen - 212.2
  10. Hans Wingate - 212.14

2. New system

currently the system isn't that conductive to conversation. You make your lineup, maybe check periodical updates, and then collect the TPE at the end. Instead, we are adapting to what other hockey leagues have done, and all entrants will be sorted into groups of 6 and have their own separate fantasy draft. This involves more work and would require more activity, but still isn't that hard. We would have a round robin draft, with 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goalie. So let me delve into this a little more with some questions that I thought might come up.

a) what if people don't respond in time?

simple solution, have an 18-24 hour timer, and whenever a team hasn't picked in that amount of time, they get auto-picked.

b) do we even have enough players to do this?

yes, yes we do. By my count, we have 40 forwards, 22 defensemen, and 9 goalies in the VHL. That's plenty enough for a group of the size I'm proposing. With the second player proposal, this should only grow.

3. TPE for the new system

TPE for the new system

1st-5 TPE

2nd-3 TPE

3rd-2 TPE

4th-1 TPE

5th-1 TPE

6th-1 TPE

the top team out of everyone gets +2 extra TPE

now I know what you're all thinking. "We already have TPE inflation, why add more high awards?" Well, let me tell ya something. Last time for S50 VHFL, 69(hehe) total TPE was handed out. With the 6 team system 68 TPE would have been handed out. So no extra TPE would be given out, therefore no extra inflation

4. All New Waiver Wire

Is your sleeper not performing up to par? Your stud young goalie just get traded to a bottom feeder? Some rookie making an unexpected impact in the league? Well have no fear, because now that we have ridden ourselves of the salary cap system that was in the old VHFL you can make changes whenever you want! Just post in you group's waiver wire thread saying who you are dropping and who you are picking up, and from then on you will get credit for his stats instead of your old guy. Simple as that!

5. Introducing fantasy.vhl.com!

Now, quick disclaimer, this is not its own separate website haha, just a concept like VHL.com articles are. But either way, it is going to be the absolute best! So what will this new feature have that will make it so special? Well, guaranteed features will include seasonal fantasy point leaderboards for your drafting help, weekly updates for every group, and a fantasy spreadsheet updated AT MINIMUM once a week so you can see where you stack up in the standings. In the future, however, our 'site' may grow to include mock drafts, breakout candidates, and more! All of this to help keep you guys interested

so folks, that's the new VHFL reboot. Sign ups will be starting at the beginning of the playoffs. So I just have one question for you: are you up to the challenge of creating a fantasy powerhouse?

Edited by ADwyer87

1 hour ago, Mr. Power said:

Probably should award 5/6 placers at least 1TPE. If you can sign up and potentially get 0 TPE for participation that'll discourage people from joining.

We could, but then either TPE in the upper stages are gonna have to be lowered or the BOG is gonna have to be ok with a little TPE inflation

EDIT: part of my reasoning for that was to encourage active involvement. That way the guy who pays attention all year is able to have a foot above the guy who drafted haphazardly and then didn't pay attention

Edited by ADwyer87

21 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

We could, but then either TPE in the upper stages are gonna have to be lowered or the BOG is gonna have to be ok with a little TPE inflation

EDIT: part of my reasoning for that was to encourage active involvement. That way the guy who pays attention all year is able to have a foot above the guy who drafted haphazardly and then didn't pay attention

Could always up the upper tier TPE rewards. Mostly just your going to get less participation as some people love to do side activities like this and some just want to sign up and not pay attention. As long as participation reward is only 1 TPE it should still encourage more involvement.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Could always up the upper tier TPE rewards. Mostly just your going to get less participation as some people love to do side activities like this and some just want to sign up and not pay attention. As long as participation reward is only 1 TPE it should still encourage more involvement.

I mean that's fine with me, it's just i thought we were worried about TPE inflation.

2 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

You don't  to pay attention at all though. The roster you pick is the roster you have for the entire season.

11 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

That wasn't there when you first posted it!

Not in the one in the BOG forum, but it's been in this one the whole time :P 

either way im cool with adding more TPE I just thought we didn't want more

Just now, Higgins said:

I was so proud until I read this 

At least you were proud at some point, that's more than my parents ever were.

i mean hey I technically have no power so it's up to you guys.