2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

I don't know how to feel about this. NYI has Tavares and Vanek who should be an awesome duo , but BUF with the draft picks who could be great picks.

Sabres obviously won this trade , but NYI are going big for this season.

I don't know how to feel about this. NYI has Tavares and Vanek who should be an awesome duo , but BUF with the draft picks who could be great picks.

Sabres obviously won this trade , but NYI are going big for this season.

Just as an added comment, both Vanek and Moulson are UFA's at the seasons end.

Downie back to the Flyers for Max Talbot. I have no idea what Colorado was thinking.

Talbot is a good player having an off year on a roster where even someone as talented as Giroux is struggling. Downie creates more than Talbot in terms of work on the boards, hitting etc. But when paired with talent who is on Talbot is excellent supporting cast. With how hot Duchene and O'Reilly have been Talbot should do fine. It's a fair trade in my opinion.

Talbot is a good player having an off year on a roster where even someone as talented as Giroux is struggling. Downie creates more than Talbot in terms of work on the boards, hitting etc. But when paired with talent who is on Talbot is excellent supporting cast. With how hot Duchene and O'Reilly have been Talbot should do fine. It's a fair trade in my opinion.

Talbot's offensive ability has fallen off of a cliff the past two years. Previously, he was able to be a serviceable third-liner as long as he wasn't counted on too much for offense, but he past two years he has just killed all offensive creativity with whatever line he's been on. On a team with playoff aspirations, I really don't see him being any more than a fourth liner who can play up for a shift or two. 

Downie back to the Flyers for Max Talbot. I have no idea what Colorado was thinking.

As I said in the other thread panic move because Downie was probably banging Varlamov's girlfriend. Sakic isn't stupid enough to trade a player like Downie for Talbot. Also not a coincidence Downie was traded less than 24 hours after all this went down.

So wait they are getting older and their cap hit increases? I dont know about that.

They've been earning 6.1 million the last bunch of years, and I believe 3.5 before that. It's about time they got their payday. The way they play, they should be able to stay around a point per game for some time.

They've been earning 6.1 million the last bunch of years, and I believe 3.5 before that. It's about time they got their payday. The way they play, they should be able to stay around a point per game for some time.

Yes but nearing the end of your career I guess they saw no cup in sights, otherwise they would limit the cap damage in this cap era to include so more pieces to the roster.

Cap is going up the next few years you can bank on that. I don't really care what type of money you give the twins, they've been the reason this team has had any sort of success the last 7-8 years, and they should get what ever they want.

Cap is going up the next few years you can bank on that. I don't really care what type of money you give the twins, they've been the reason this team has had any sort of success the last 7-8 years, and they should get what ever they want.

This. The Sedins roughly take up about 20% of the team's cap right now, if it goes up to 70 mil as projected they'll be in around that number again. Not a big deal.

How many Flyers going to get suspended after tonight. What a bush league amateur outing from so many of them. Not Caps fault you guys can't prevent less than 7 goals from coming in on a night when we don't even have Ovechkin on the ice. It's fine Flyers will adjust slowly, league is changing. Suspensions for tons of players, Emery on the top of that list and they won't make the playoffs. Grit alone doesn't win anymore. It's a speed dominated league this year. 

How many Flyers going to get suspended after tonight. What a bush league amateur outing from so many of them. Not Caps fault you guys can't prevent less than 7 goals from coming in on a night when we don't even have Ovechkin on the ice. It's fine Flyers will adjust slowly, league is changing. Suspensions for tons of players, Emery on the top of that list and they won't make the playoffs. Grit alone doesn't win anymore. It's a speed dominated league this year. 

This team is a joke.

This team is a joke.

I mean I get it, it sucks to lose. I didn't anticipate Caps coming in and putting up 7 without Ovie. But Emery rushing across the rink to maul Holtby was incredibly stupid. Holtby didn't even take his gloves off. The boarding attempts to Erat and Backstrom. Like come on. Obviously suspensions resulting in this game.It just frustrates me because I think the Flyers have talent but I don't see how gooning around does anything at this point. See how well it has worked for Buffalo.....

Emery is effective when on a winning team, because he can be a good goalie. When placed on a bad team, not only do his numbers suffer but his attitude goes right down the drain.