VHLM Waiver Discussion

I think you are right on a general terms for many other things. In this league though we run on a week to week basis so Sterling is correct. Even if a guy is a new GM, if he gets a first generation member to stay active until 50 TPE, he should get a reward.

So what happens when someone recreates and they already pass the 50TPE when drafted?

I think you are right on a general terms for many other things. In this league though we run on a week to week basis so Sterling is correct. Even if a guy is a new GM, if he gets a first generation member to stay active until 50 TPE, he should get a reward.

I hear your point, I'm just offering some points. By all means I am for incentives.

Not to be a douche, but we can all agree that Turku and Brampton have no excuse right? haha

Hell I'm a VHLM Updater, I realize these things every week.

Does the waiver claim period (the first 24hours) start as soon as a member creates his player? Or is it after they get added to the list of available players, or after the first claim?

This part is a bit unclear, and that might be whats hindering people from making free claims, since they don't know what constitutes 24 and 48 hours of a claim period

Okay, I figured. That's where the confusion is.

Yeah not everything was explained to me.

LOL DA's attitude changed once he finds out he will get TPE :D

Nice edit bro. My attitude is still the same thing. Just glad something happened that was suggested.

Yeah maybe 2 days.

This means once a player joins there's 24 hours to claim him using priority, then 24 hours to claim him for free, and then he gets assigned to a team.

Yes, I like this best as well as a GM incentive as already mentioned above. Good work chaps.

Not to be a douche, but we can all agree that Turku and Brampton have no excuse right? hahaHell I'm a VHLM Updater, I realize these things every week.

Oh snap, names dropped again! I won't comment on that specifically, but being online and being active are two VERY different things.

Why not consider a draft lottery for all teams? Maybe exclude the championship team and perhaps the runner up, but then throw every other team into a lottery. That way, there's no guaranteed benefit of tanking

I was thinking about that as well, but I thought it might be too harsh. Definitely a thought worth considering though, we should really take some of the incentives to tank away.

• Admin

Does the waiver claim period (the first 24hours) start as soon as a member creates his player? Or is it after they get added to the list of available players, or after the first claim?

This part is a bit unclear, and that might be whats hindering people from making free claims, since they don't know what constitutes 24 and 48 hours of a claim period

Once they're created. VHLM GMs should pay attention to that forum, waiting for them to be added to the VHLM waiver thread can waste half a day if not more.

Yeah there should definitely be a lottery in the VHLM-Draft, at least to randomize the order for all teams that didn't make the Playoffs.

Also, if we can't get rid of say 4 VHLM-teams because the Sim wouldn't allow for that then I would like to suggest a different solution: Turn those four teams into bot-teams. They still exist but have no players on them and, most importantly, don't participate in the draft. I know this idea doesn't sound very enticing at first, because who wants teams that don't actually matter and basically serve as a wild card in the file? But hear me out, because I think the biggest problem the VHLM has had over the last few season is this: You just can't compete with the number of picks your team usually has in the draft. Let's look at a middle of the pack team for example...

- With the 5th Overall, they get a good active player

- With the 15th Overall, they get a player who they might be able to get active again, but who currently isn't

- With the 25th Overall and ever pick after it, they get trash

So that's one, maybe two active players a team would normally be able to get out of a draft. If you look at that it's no surprise that teams are deciding to tank for not just one year, but multiple seasons in a row, then go all in for one year. The talent pool is just way too shallow to support the number of teams we currently have with talent. Even the S32 VHLM-Draft, which looks ridiculously strong compared to the most recent ones, didn't yield nearly enough players to have more then 5-6 teams good enough to compete for the playoffs. But if we decreased the number of teams so we end up with six, it would look like this:

- A middle of the pack team would have the 3rd Overall now and get a good active player with it

- The 2nd rounder would now be the 9th Overall, which gives you another good active

- They still just get a question mark player with the 15th Overall, but now this pick is this teams 3rd rounder, not their 2nd

- Their next pick is 21st Overall, which gives them an outside shot at maybe another active player

Only after that the picks get shitty, but until then each team could have about 3-4 actives from that draft alone, not counting the players from previous drafts, which should make for a way more competitive league and would allow you to compete without having to prepare for that with two years of tanking.

I'll be okay with a lottery in the VHLM, but bot teams are a no-no. Not only is it too complicated, it just adds more unnecessary drama to the VHLM. The problem isn't the amount of teams, it's the amount of players. The biggest problem we have in the VHL is the amount of recruits, and I think it always has been this way. In my opinion, we compensate for the lack of active players in the VHL by turning off Endurance and Durability, thus letting teams get away with having 5-6 forwards, 2-4 defensemen, and 1 goalie. The cap goes hand in hand with that also, but that's a different thing. 

I think it should be when they create. If a VHLM Commish is away sometimes they don't get added right away. Say a guy creates, if a claim is in for him right away it would really help his confidence out! However, IR has been very good with adding them (including putting the time down).

I've always assumed it was 24 and 48 hours after the player was created. I know it used to be once they were added to the list of available players, but that system stopped working seasons ago when it took days for some players to be added to the list.

Good point. I think you make it 24 hours from the point of creation to expedite the process.

• Admin

That was the misunderstanding there. I thought by first gen you meant players who were originally here at the start of the VHL.

Yeah first-gen here always refers to a player being their member's first (hence first generation). So Davey Jones is a first-gen.

Once they're created. VHLM GMs should pay attention to that forum, waiting for them to be added to the VHLM waiver thread can waste half a day if not more.

:grammer:

Perhaps make a change to reflect that fact in the VHLM and site rules? Hell, make an entire thing in the rules about free claiming

I definitely think that there could be some sort of system for training and getting new VHLM GMs acquainted with how things work. It can be overwhelming and if I hadn't sought help, I would not have gotten help. Perhaps we could have some guys who have done it before or are longtime VHLM GMs teach the new ones the ropes? The more trained and knowledges the GMs are, the better they will be and the more activity they can inspire.