A few things

FacePuncher

4 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Yeah I agree with Kendrick in regards to the old format. Other people having the option to put in more work on something that shouldn't take that much work and is a fun side thing, makes me demotivated to do it at all. Why bother? I'm just going to end up with participation TPE because I don't think Fantasy should be something you tinker with and monitor every other PT week.

Except the winner of that season never made any roster changes.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

But at least it's weekly waivers between 6 people and not 20+.

Yeah but rosters before did not depend at all on anyone else's roster. You only had to be concerned with your own.

Actually, I don't even know if it's weekly. @ADwyer87 what exactly are you planning with waivers?

Just now, Streetlight said:

Yeah but rosters before did not depend at all on anyone else's roster. You only had to be concerned with your own.

Actually, I don't even know if it's weekly. @ADwyer87 what exactly are you planning with waivers?

Just post "drop X and add Y" and boom

2 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

Just post "drop X and add Y" and boom

Just like, at any time? Is there any sort of waiver order? Are fantasy points just based on whatever roster you have at the end of the season?

Edited by Streetlight

4 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Not entirely true. Because even if I selected a roster I was happy with, the old format required me to pay attention to everyone in the league, to know where the best value was. Where as with this format even if you use waivers all your focusing on is player eligible for waivers. Not just players not on "your" team since there is a plethora of other players you can't get.

I'm not saying your system didn't have merit. If this was say a GM league with a Fantasy element like that I think I'd be fine with it. If I wasn't putting in the work and time to focus on my own players, and then I totally get and understand a system where you reward the people who pay the most attention and put in he work. The actual rules and style of the format don't have anything wrong with it, it's just too much to do in a league like this imo. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Power said:

Not entirely true. Because even if I selected a roster I was happy with, the old format required me to pay attention to everyone in the league, to know where the best value was. Where as with this format even if you use waivers all your focusing on is player eligible for waivers. Not just players not on "your" team since there is a plethora of other players you can't get.

I'm not saying your system didn't have merit. If this was say a GM league with a Fantasy element like that I think I'd be fine with it. If I wasn't putting in the work and time to focus on my own players, and then I totally get and understand a system where you reward the people who pay the most attention and put in he work. The actual rules and style of the format don't have anything wrong with it, it's just too much to do in a league like this imo. 

Okay, yeah that's a fair point (even if it doesn't actually make what I said untrue at all).

Just now, Streetlight said:

Just like, at any time? Is there any sort of waiver wire? Are fantasy points just based on whatever roster you have at the end of the season?

At any time, yes.

I don't really have a waiver wire setup as far as order, it was something that I was considering but wasn't sure what would be the better option so I went with the first come first serve strategy to start off, and see what to do from there.

and no it's not just at the end of the season. You only start getting points from a player once you pick them up. So like if you drop a 30 goal guy for a 50 goal guy, you don't get an automatic boost in goals.

Just now, ADwyer87 said:

At any time, yes.

I don't really have a waiver wire setup as far as order, it was something that I was considering but wasn't sure what would be the better option so I went with the first come first serve strategy to start off, and see what to do from there.

and no it's not just at the end of the season. You only start getting points from a player once you pick them up. So like if you drop a 30 goal guy for a 50 goal guy, you don't get an automatic boost in goals.

And you plan on doing daily updates? Do you have something in place to keep track of stats/fantasy points?

1 minute ago, ADwyer87 said:

At any time, yes.

See this is where this stuff makes me wonder how we apply it to the VHL. Granted the majority of top players are taken in this format, but if we assume say one random straggler isn't. What is to stop someone from leveraging the schedule, and picking up a waiver wire player whom has more games left against weaker opponents, thus increasing the chance they put up points. Granted you'd then be risking the player you sent down. 

I guess I don't know perhaps we should put a limit on the number of waiver exchanges people can do. As far as I'm concerned this thing should be an off-season activity with payouts at the end of the season. I think the draft is smart, (although as mentioned I do think next time have people mandatory send in lists so we don't have to skip) and then you watch what happens after you draft. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Power said:

See this is where this stuff makes me wonder how we apply it to the VHL. Granted the majority of top players are taken in this format, but if we assume say one random straggler isn't. What is to stop someone from leveraging the schedule, and picking up a waiver wire player whom has more games left against weaker opponents, thus increasing the chance they put up points. Granted you'd then be risking the player you sent down.

Congratulations, you've just described a fantasy league.

2 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Congratulations, you've just described a fantasy league.

But not really.

In the NHL, just because Sidney Crosby plays against Florida don't mean shit. That league has high parity. You can't predict whose going to do well against certain opponents with nearly as much certainty. Where as here? "Oh shit X player on this team hasn't played Helsinki yet this season and he's coming into a stretch where he does" Chances are high hi steam is scoring tons of goals against a team with barely any real players. :P 

1 minute ago, ADwyer87 said:

Yes. And didn't you look at the VHFL Master Sheet?

I forgot about the Master Sheet tbh.

I guess if you want to go through that much work, that's up to you. Seems like it would be very overwhelming if people actually decide to be active, which is probably unlikely. Plus I suppose the majority of each roster will likely not change much.

Are trades going to be allowed?

21 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

I guess I don't know perhaps we should put a limit on the number of waiver exchanges people can do. As far as I'm concerned this thing should be an off-season activity with payouts at the end of the season. I think the draft is smart, (although as mentioned I do think next time have people mandatory send in lists so we don't have to skip) and then you watch what happens after you draft. 

I mean there's nothing really in place to stop that, but that's just how fantasy is, ex if your wide receiver in NFL fantasy is playing New Orleans, you're gonna want to start them, and if your forward is playing Dallas tonight, you're gonna want to start them as well.

But also partly I don't think that would give the other guys as much of an advantage as you think. For instance, let's say Calgary is playing Quebec. Big mismatch, right? Well, you're not going to find Koponen, Velvet, or Kohler on the waiver wire. So instead of getting those big scorers, you're going to be getting guys like Klingberg. And in that case, are you sure you want to drop your, say, Bobby Digital, a guy that was 8th in FP for defensemen last year and outscored Klingberg by almost 70 FP last year just for the chance at a good stretch of games?

also a lot of the reason I put in some of this stuff was so that it wouldn't be sit back and watch

Edited by ADwyer87

10 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

I forgot about the Master Sheet tbh.

I guess if you want to go through that much work, that's up to you. Seems like it would be very overwhelming if people actually decide to be active, which is probably unlikely. Plus I suppose the majority of each roster will likely not change much.

Are trades going to be allowed?

That's why I'm not too worried haha. But if the guys (hopefully) stay active with it, then that's just a small price to pay.

no trades, and I don't see trades ever being allowed, just because of the collusion possibilities alone

Or we could just keep the draft format, remove waivers and have people send in a list for next season.

Should just be an off season activity where at the end it's a pissing contest over who was able to draft the best team. Be much easier to justify coverage on it during casts n such as well although we've given this format some Pajodcast love already.

3 minutes ago, boom said:

I hate when fantasy becomes complicated. I'm not very smart, so anything beyond "draft and watch" gives me a migraine.

Yeah I just think we draft our teams and let them play out the year with no waivers. @ADwyer87 doesn't have to do a ton of work that way as well

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah I just think we draft our teams and let them play out the year with no waivers. @ADwyer87 doesn't have to do a ton of work that way as well

If that's what you guys want for next year then we can look into it, but then we might as well do the old format in that case