A few things

FacePuncher

• This VHFL stuff is going hella slow!!!! Group A is done and another group I don't remember has like 3 picks left but the others are inching along. Doesn't help that I've had to skip 4 people twice.
  • People don't value me much in VHFL. I don't blame them, my player is a scrub, but still hurts
  • losing STZ at goalie for Saskatoon is killing me. This season was already hard to compete in, now I go from slight favorites to just one of the other contenders. I'm trying to get some trades done that could turn us around, but I'm not sure if it'll work. If it does though then we are right back where I wanted to be.
  • my motivation for school is at an all time low. I would rather give myself a concussion than do my Calc III or Russian homework right now
  • Should I trade for that 1 extra TPE? Because I really don't want to but I want that TPE
  • contemplating buying double/triple predictions. Idk if that's a good choice or not

for Podarok

48 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:
  • This VHFL stuff is going hella slow!!!! Group A is done and another group I don't remember has like 3 picks left but the others are inching along. Doesn't help that I've had to skip 4 people twice.

Not everyone is on all every day. I'm not exactly sure why you had visions of the drafts going faster.

That guy in Group G, Kopiquick.. his only post in the VHL was literally his post signing up for the VHFL. Doesn't even have a player. In that same group, jphobbit hasn't been online since Tuesday; one day after he joined the VHL. Sure you can auto-skip them, and things will go faster, but it destroys the integrity of the VHFL.

At the same time, you can't rightly deny someone like jphobbit entrance simply because he's new. Kopiquick, sure, you could've told him he had to have a player before joining. But also it's not even just the new guys who are making things go slow, but that's because like I said, not everyone is on all the time or at the same time as everyone else.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, ADwyer87 said:
  • contemplating buying double/triple predictions. Idk if that's a good choice or not

Normally it’s worth it but I think this season it might not be. With so many teams potentially competing it’s going to be very hard to predict things this season. Might be better to save your money for a season when it’s a little clearer.

Just now, Streetlight said:

Not everyone is on all every day. I'm not exactly sure why you had visions of the drafts going faster.

That guy in Group G, Kopiquick.. his only post in the VHL was literally his post signing up for the VHFL. Doesn't even have a player. In that same group, jphobbit hasn't been online since Tuesday; one day after he joined the VHL. Sure you can auto-skip them, and things will go faster, but it destroys the integrity of the VHFL.

At the same time, you can't rightly deny someone like jphobbit entrance simply because he's new. Kopiquick, sure, you could've told him he had to have a player before joining. But also it's not even just the new guys who are making things go slow, but that's because like I said, not everyone is on all the time or at the same time as everyone else.

I expected them to take a while, but I still expected them to go faster. It never goes this slow in the SHL it seems and I feel like the VHL is filled with more dedicated guys

Group A was fillled with very active guys so it's not , but still they finished the draft in 2 days, very nice pace. I don't expect people to finish right away, I just thought people were more active than they were I guess.

and obviously I knew group G would be a shit show. Kopiquick made one post and it was to ask to be in the VHFL, and jphobbit was a new reddit guy. I'm not going to deny them entry but I was also expecting that, that's why we have the time limit rules. The groups that are surprising me are the ones filled with guys I generally feel like I see around a lot.

2 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

and obviously I knew group G would be a shit show. Kopiquick made one post and it was to ask to be in the VHFL, and jphobbit was a new reddit guy. I'm not going to deny them entry but I was also expecting that, that's why we have the time limit rules.

Yeah but it's not just about the time when it comes to those guys. Now the others in Group G have a massive advantage over the six-active groups. You think I like that? And it's for that reason that there absolutely better not be a bonus for having the best score overall.

Edited by Streetlight

1 minute ago, Streetlight said:

Yeah but it's not just about the time when it comes to those guys. Now the others in Group G have a massive advantage over the six-active groups.

Yeah but the alternative is denying any new guys from entering, which I'm not about to do. Another alternative is auto picking, but I'm not about to have some NFL.com bs where guys sign up for a league, don't show up, and end up winning because the autopicks gave them the best guys. Then the final alternative is saying "ok, screw all you guys on waitlist, you're not getting in next time", something else that I'm not about to do. There's no good solution to this, I'm just trying to work with what I got

3 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Yeah but it's not just about the time when it comes to those guys. Now the others in Group G have a massive advantage over the six-active groups. You think I like that? And it's for that reason that there absolutely better not be a bonus for having the best score overall.

Pretty sure it's scored only in your group, not league wide. It wouldn't make sense to be put in groups and then battle teams from other groups.

Also I am disappointed in Group B as well @ADwyer87

1 minute ago, ADwyer87 said:

Yeah but the alternative is denying any new guys from entering, which I'm not about to do. Another alternative is auto picking, but I'm not about to have some NFL.com bs where guys sign up for a league, don't show up, and end up winning because the autopicks gave them the best guys. Then the final alternative is saying "ok, screw all you guys on waitlist, you're not getting in next time", something else that I'm not about to do. There's no good solution to this, I'm just trying to work with what I got

Another alternative is not doing groups.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Pretty sure it's scored only in your group, not league wide. It wouldn't make sense to be put in groups and then battle teams from other groups.

I vaguely remember him once posting something about maybe having a reward for the top few teams overall, but it very well could've just been an idea that was mentioned once, scrapped, and never considered again.

• Commissioner
Just now, Streetlight said:

I vaguely remember him once posting something about maybe having a reward for the top few teams overall, but it very well could've just been an idea that was mentioned once, scrapped, and never considered again.

It definitely would not be fair to have any rewards for overall. Those of us in Group G would have a pretty major advantage because guys are available who simply shouldn’t still be. Plus we’re in the group literally because we signed up late. Wouldn’t make sense that we end up with that kind of advantage over anyone else.

Might be interesting to see an overall standing amongst all the groups at the end but I don’t believe there should be any overall rewards.

5 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Another alternative is not doing groups.

If YOU would like to take back over and do the season prediction-like method of picking a team at the beginning of the year, with the odd salary system I never understood which is one of the reasons I decided to try this groups out, and just have the pick 6 and done style of before, then by all means I'll hand you the account info first thing when's the season ends.

And yes i originally had planned to have the top team earn a WHOPPING 2 TPE, but I can take that away.

17 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

If YOU would like to take back over and do the season prediction-like method of picking a team at the beginning of the year, with the odd salary system I never understood which is one of the reasons I decided to try this groups out, and just have the pick 6 and done style of before, then by all means I'll hand you the account info first thing when's the season ends.

And yes i originally had planned to have the top team earn a WHOPPING 2 TPE, but I can take that away.

I never liked the prediction setup to be honest. My preferred method allowed for members to add/drop players each week, but people didn't like that for some reason that I really don't understand. I don't know what's so odd to you about the salary system or why it's hard to understand.

I'd like to see it work out with groups. But as someone who is in a group that isn't even halfway done with the draft yet, I'm not convinced it's the best route. Hopefully all the drafts an finish before we are 1/3 of the way through the season.

I do appreciate the effort, though. I always enjoyed the VHFL (for the most part), and the reason I kind of gave up on it was because only a handful of others ever seemed to care about it as anything more than just another source of TPE.

Edited by Streetlight

11 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

I never liked the prediction setup to be honest. My preferred method allowed for members to add/drop players each week, but people didn't like that for some reason that I really don't understand. I don't know what's so odd to you about the salary system or why it's hard to understand.

I'd like to see it work out with groups. But as someone who is in a group that isn't even halfway done with the draft yet, I'm not convinced it's the best route.

It's odd because idk how it's set up. It's not equal to the actual players salaries, so what is it equal to? I never understood that and I don't think it was explained in the rules, maybe it was.

I would assume people were against that idea because it would get confusing for everyone. You would have to carefully consider your salary cap, and the game manager would always have to double check to make sure they didn't go over salary cap, because if you made a mistake and someone has an unfair advantage, you know the members would want your head. Plus there also might be some copy-catting, if you did that you would probably have to hide that part of your old sheet that said which guy had which player.

also, about your group, you had 2 people at the beginning of the group say that they weren't going to be around for a day or two, so that contributed to that. Also what I remembered that I have already forgotten, was that one reason i figured it was slower was because of thanksgiving. Less people on electronics and such. Other than that there's 1 group that finished in 2 days, 2 groups finishing up the final round, your group that is halfway, Group B that had a problem with Green but hopefully should sail smoothly now, and then Group F that was posted later and held up by Eagles, and Group G that was posted later and held up by 2 inactives that shouldn't be a problem now. So I can see your concerns but 3 of the 5 normally posted groups have been going at great pace 

1 minute ago, ADwyer87 said:

It's odd because idk how it's set up. It's not equal to the actual players salaries, so what is it equal to? I never understood that and I don't think it was explained in the rules, maybe it was.

I would assume people were against that idea because it would get confusing for everyone. You would have to carefully consider your salary cap, and the game manager would always have to double check to make sure they didn't go over salary cap, because if you made a mistake and someone has an unfair advantage, you know the members would want your head. Plus there also might be some copy-catting, if you did that you would probably have to hide that part of your old sheet that said which guy had which player.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in a few places, but the salaries were mostly based on TPE.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be confusing. Everyone has a value. You can't go over a certain total. Where's the confusion? Are numbers that hard? Also, the way I had it set up, there was a very, very tiny chance that I would miss someone going over the salary cap. Copy-catting was never an issue the one season I did it.

4 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in a few places, but the salaries were mostly based on TPE.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be confusing. Everyone has a value. You can't go over a certain total. Where's the confusion? Are numbers that hard? Also, the way I had it set up, there was a very, very tiny chance that I would miss someone going over the salary cap. Copy-catting was never an issue the one season I did it.

I guess hard is the more appropriate word. And TBH kinda surprised by the copy catting.

23 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

I guess hard is the more appropriate word. And TBH kinda surprised by the copy catting.

It may have been more of an issue if more than a handful of members actually ever changed their roster from the beginning of the season.

Just now, Kendrick said:

No one wanted to change their initial roster, what's wrong with that? All it is is an extra form of TPE, nothing more. Let's not sugar coat it

That's fine if people didn't want to. But there were people saying they didn't even like having the option there even though it only affected them in that the people who were willing to put in the effort were able to get an advantage.

5 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

That's fine if people didn't want to. But there were people saying they didn't even like having the option there even though it only affected them in that the people who were willing to put in the effort were able to get an advantage.

Because its Fantasy on a sim league, just pick a roster and see what happens. Anything more is just overkill.

Yeah I agree with Kendrick in regards to the old format. Other people having the option to put in more work on something that shouldn't take that much work and is a fun side thing, makes me demotivated to do it at all. Why bother? I'm just going to end up with participation TPE because I don't think Fantasy should be something you tinker with and monitor every other PT week. 

There is nothing wrong with the draft format we have now, just I think a specific rule change for next season would make things better. We see great participation in the Yahoo Fantasy leagues because you can show up to draft, or select a list and let it go that way. Instead of skipping someone who doesn't select, make it mandatory that people have to send in a I don't know 20-25 player list of players they would select, in order. If they don't pick within a 12 hour time window or whatever window seems fair, auto pick their highest selection from their pick provided the fit makes sense for their needs (D, Goalie, Forward) and move on from there. 

Otherwise I think the Groups and drafts are smarter. I'm not as penalized for just showing up to draft and that it, this way I still have a chance at placing good and I can have some fun with it without it feeling like extra work all season. Just extra work in the off-season when we have nothing to do anyways. :P (Unless your a GM I guess)