What your team most disappointing draft pick in recent years?

boubabi

15 minutes ago, brovy said:

Tkachuk is a good player yes, but look at what even a top 4 defensemen can get you in this league. Juolevi is a blue chip prospect with tons of value. Virtanen can barely play at the AHL level and there are players like Nylander and Ehlers that were drafted around where he went and are well on to there NHL careers. 

But it's still not Virtanen "without a doubt" because Jensen and Patrick White were bigger flops.

Would probably agree with @eaglesfan036 for Scott Laughton. Doing alright on a loaded Phantoms team, but can't crack the lineup of a Flyers team with a poor bottom six. For a guy who was drafted for his two-way play, his below average defensive play has been concerning.

Other than that...Luca Sbisa maybe? I don't see enough of the Canucks to evaluate him as a player, but I remember people saying he sucks before. Still managed to play 400 games. Interesting fact - during Sbisa's rookie season, we held him up past the 9 game mark making his contract ineligible to slide...only to play him as a winger till around game 40 so and then sent him back to juniors.

4 hours ago, tfong said:

Sven Baertschi I had really high hopes for :(

uhhh Mark Jankowski. At least Sven has done something in the NHL so that it looks like his career is worth something. Hell even Tim Erixon and greg Nemisz could be higher than Sven when it comes to busts.

20 hours ago, boubabi said:

@eaglesfan036 Samuel Morin ?!?!?!

Not really. He most likely could have made the team out of camp this season if Holmgren was still GM, but Hextall comes from LA's development philosophy of letting prospects (especially defensemen) "over develop" in the minors.

1 minute ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Would probably agree with @eaglesfan036 for Scott Laughton. Doing alright on a loaded Phantoms team, but can't crack the lineup of a Flyers team with a poor bottom six. For a guy who was drafted for his two-way play, his below average defensive play has been concerning.

Other than that...Luca Sbisa maybe? I don't see enough of the Canucks to evaluate him as a player, but I remember people saying he sucks before. Still managed to play 400 games. Interesting fact - during Sbisa's rookie season, we held him up past the 9 game mark making his contract ineligible to slide...only to play him as a winger till around game 40 so and then sent him back to juniors.

He is this era's pylon. Gets added to the other era's of pylons like Hal Gill, Wade Belak (RIP), Douglas Murray, etc...

• Head Moderator
47 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

uhhh Mark Jankowski. At least Sven has done something in the NHL so that it looks like his career is worth something. Hell even Tim Erixon and greg Nemisz could be higher than Sven when it comes to busts.

Depends on your view point I guess. I never though Nemisz was good and I thought Erixon would be a 3/4. So I was far less disappointed, maybe even relieved when I was proven right especially about Nemisz lol.

But Sven I thought was going to be what Gaudreau is for us now. I was so sure that he was going to be a star and I followed the Winterhawks all 3 years starting when Nino was there with Johaneson.

Jury is still out on Janko but I think he'll be what I expect and that is a Joe Colborne type player.

Edited by tfong

You know it does really feel like to me that a lot of clubs are putting youngsters who aren't NHL ready into more NHL minutes just due to the nature of aging players and what have you. I don't know if I always agree with it, but you see a lot of teams adding youth to the club even if the youth isn't ready, and hoping players that maybe didn't pan out develop a little. 

It sort of bugs me when there are reputable and proven NHLers sitting jobless, and many more on rebuilding clubs when some of these pseudo competing teams with younger players could just keep them in the AHL a bit more. Or forever. I feel like some clubs hate to accept that some of the guys they drafted are simply AHL guys. Anyway. 

• Head Moderator
8 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

You know it does really feel like to me that a lot of clubs are putting youngsters who aren't NHL ready into more NHL minutes just due to the nature of aging players and what have you. I don't know if I always agree with it, but you see a lot of teams adding youth to the club even if the youth isn't ready, and hoping players that maybe didn't pan out develop a little. 

It sort of bugs me when there are reputable and proven NHLers sitting jobless, and many more on rebuilding clubs when some of these pseudo competing teams with younger players could just keep them in the AHL a bit more. Or forever. I feel like some clubs hate to accept that some of the guys they drafted are simply AHL guys. Anyway. 

Its mainly an effect of the salary cap though. You can put in young players and play them at low minutes at arguably the same production as your vets but you're paying far less.

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Depends on your view point I guess. I never though Nemisz was good and I thought Erixon would be a 3/4. So I was far less disappointed, maybe even relieved when I was proven right especially about Nemisz lol.

But Sven I thought was going to be what Gaudreau is for us now. I was so sure that he was going to be a star and I followed the Winterhawks all 3 years starting when Nino was there with Johaneson.

Jury is still out on Janko but I think he'll be what I expect and that is a Joe Colborne type player.

Yes but its not so much the view point in this case as it is what exactly the player has done in his NHL career. By your logic, Markus Naslund was one of the biggest busts in Penguins history because he only started producing with the Canucks. I think when I think bust I think of what they were able to do with the franchise that drafted them relevant to their draft position.

Sven may not have done well in Calgary, but his career has taken a turn for the better recently and for that he isn't a bust. If he went on to put up 100 points seasons, it would be disappointing for Calgary but it also would look like their pre-draft scouting was actually pretty good; its just in their system he never did anything.

1 hour ago, Pandar said:

Probably Mike Reilly for CBJ.  Mostly just for the shit that he put us through, but it makes it a little more bearable for me that he's not doing that great now.

Reilly is only a 4th round pick tho!

biggest bust in a few years gonna be PLB tbh :P 

On 1/19/2017 at 2:56 AM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

how about that Reinhart for 16th overall was it trade though that got the Isles Mathew Barzal

Can you please use some form of punctuation in your comments? I am really struggling to understand what you're saying here.

12 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

Can you please use some form of punctuation in your comments? I am really struggling to understand what you're saying here.

no i would rather not because i hate writing formally on a forum that is dumb and you are dumb because byfuglien is dumb why you want to byfuglien evryday thats not even how you spell everyday do you really byfuglien everyday

1 minute ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

no i would rather not because i hate writing formally on a forum that is dumb and you are dumb because byfuglien is dumb why you want to byfuglien evryday thats not even how you spell everyday do you really byfuglien everyday

Rekt