Claimed:Top 20 Players of 2016 - #20 - #16 (The Real One!) [1/2]

Tagger

OK, so I guess this is my bad yo. I figured y’know, occasionally it’s fun to have a little joke and a laugh about things that don’t quite materialize as they were supposed to, like any Vasteras cup run for example. So I decided “Hey, remember that Top 20 players of VHL idea that I came up with but didn’t end up following through with at the time because it was more work than I had time and really wasn’t super motivated to do it because nobody really gave any feedback to my previous podcasts about the other awards I gave out? Let’s make a joke to do with that!” and I liked it! @JardyB10 liked it also because Jardy is the single greatest human being on this site! But everyone else though, wow, I’ve seen oceans with less salt than their responses! Ooh, they did not like it!

But let’s be honest here, you really thought I was going to do that much work for 1 TPE? C’mon now let’s be serious. That was just my warm-up act to get the excitement brewing for the actual article. I guess it didn’t work as intended but hey, we’re here now right! Let’s do this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I asked some questions in the lead up to this in regards to how I should rank each player. Those were:

-          Should I rank each player by how important they were for the teams that they played for or should I rank them purely on a statistical standpoint?

-          Should I use just a player’s best season or should I incorporate their statistics from the entirety of 2016?

-          Should I factor in playoff stats?

The answers to those questions were as follows:

-           The rankings will predominantly be based around a player’s statistical output, however if I felt there was a player that deserved recognition for the impact that he had for his teams, then I would rank him a little higher.

-          Using the entirety of 2016 as my base.

-          Including playoffs!

It was tough work to get it down to twenty. A lot of good players narrowly ended up missing out, and I just wanted to honour them here before I get going with the meat of the article.

-          Bismarck Koenig: Boom had an awesome final season with Koenig and the Helsinki Titans in Season 47, winning numerous awards and running away easily with the most points for that season. However, as it was just one season, it was just too small a time frame to consider him for a 2016 award.

-          Freedom McJustice: A player that probably doesn’t get thought about that much in the grand scheme of things, McJustice actually had a really good 2016. His 1.38 points per game over his three seasons with the Calgary Wranglers and New York Americans actually ranks him 9th in the VHL over 2016 in that category. However, with no continental cup victory to his name and only playing half the calender year saw McJustice just miss out

-          Tyson Kohler: Kohler is a good player and despite the fact that his player only has three seasons remaining, should be good enough to come into contention for entering the Top 20 in 2017. It’s difficult to make these kind of lists when your rookie season starts in the calendar year, and while Kohler gave it a good go, (19th in points per game, 16th in points), he just narrowly misses out on making the top 20.

So, with those out of the way, here we go! The start of the top 20 players for 2016:

Image result for worst hockey players

Evgeny Nezhmetdinov

Jace Hines

Thomas Duddy

Image result for worst hockey goalies

Fedir Okranitz

Jon Panik

Edited by Salt

19 hours ago, Salt said:

@JardyB10 liked it also because Jardy is the single greatest human being on this site!

giphy.gif

But I feel like your vastly underrating Fedir Okranitz to only have him at #17. He backstopped some pretty serious contenders, and gave 110% every game.

Also Geno at 18! What a stud.

Bismarck Koenig: Boom had an awesome final season with Koenig and the Helsinki Titans in Season 47, winning numerous awards and running away easily with the most points for that season. However, as it was just one season, it was just too small a time frame to consider him for a 2016 award.

#2 in my heart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Top 20 Players of 2016 - #20 - #16 (The Real One!) [1/2]
  • 2 weeks later...