My Thoughts on Anderson, the VHLM

JardyB10

8 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

So then why have GMs at all?

seriouspostactuallythisisarealsuggestion

To develop the players.. motivate, coach, remind, set an example, promote the upcoming prospects.. etc..

5 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

Those are all things that the commissioners could do.

That's true.. but that's spreading them pretty thin.. both are already VHL GMs to add on to commish duties. Makes more sense to have a "Head Member" of each VHLM Team responsible for a handful of players.

Would be more productive to have more mentors responsible for less members than two commishes responsible for one or two full draft classes..

Same idea as a daycare 1 to 5 ratio lol...

Edited by STZ

1 minute ago, STZ said:

That's true.. but that's spreading them pretty thin.. both are already VHL GMs to add on to commish duties. Makes more sense to have a "Head Member" of each VHLM Team responsible for a handful of players.

Would be more productive to have more mentors responsible for less members than two commishes responsible for one or two full draft classes..

Same idea as a daycare 1 to 5 ratio lol...

In my scenario, I do imagine some people would need to be brought in to help for sure. The goal would be to eliminate the positions that might have a vested interest in the success of one team over another, because indeed the focus of the VHLM should not be winning.

1 minute ago, Street x Lite said:

Also I should say my 'no GM' idea just popped into my head while recording a podcast, so I haven't put much thought into it at all. Ultimately it's probably the wrong course to take

I think the VHLM Draft is valuable for first gens and is a cool benchmark for them to see their player get some exposure early.. it would suck to lose that and it wouldn't feel right without GMs 

I think having a GM pick you and believe in you goes a long way for a first gen member.. I mean I can tell you my first waiver GM and draft GM in the VHLM were big reasons I got hooked on this drug.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, STZ said:

Legitimate argument with the current system in place. I wasn't calling you out, I was more making a point that winning is a focus for GMs - and more often than not, maybe not in your case, it is for the accolades rather than the players you are developing.

I was just affirming that your assumption of what I was doing was indeed correct lol.

Wouldn't waiver players joining VHL teams be a better benefit? For VHL GM's competing, and building up quality member relationships and loyalty are one in the same. Why? Because members tend to stay on VHL teams for more than a season. Even in the case of waivers where that player would then go on to be drafted, by working on first gens and recreates from the waiver system a VHL GM would essentially be building a potential quality relationship for the future. Whether they then later decide to draft, trade, or free agent that player it's only in the interest of their franchise to make those connections. 

@JardyB10 

As you may or may not have noticed, Anderson retired his goalie and re-created essentially just to maximize his chances to win a Founder's Cup this season. This was quite unfortunate for my Ottawa Lynx, as he was my first round draft pick, and I had him pegged to start this season and next, with him being ~2nd best goalie (and best active goalie) in the league by playoffs this season, and the best goalie across the board by next season. It would have been two solid competing seasons. I had a full plan for competing this season, but he never gave me a chance to share it, or even to communicate at all. Even if he didn't like the direction of the team, we maybe could have worked something out, whether it was a trade or me using my Rigging powers to turn him back into a forward or something. And if not, then he could have retired, and at least I tried. But I never got that chance, so that's particularly frustrating.

I was also not aware you were actually interested in my services to compete, as we had never been in touch before the draft, whereas multiple other GMs did contact me. I knew in the draft thread you said you were delighted to still see me on the board, but from my impression on you, you always like to write sentences in the draft thread instead of just posting a name, so I didn't take that too seriously.

@JardyB10

While I am upset with Anderson and would like nothing more than for this to somehow blow up in his face, this isn't meant to be a "Fuck that guy" thread, or a classic angry Jardy rant. But I digress, what this thread is really about is the VHLM as a whole.

Sorry, but I do want to rectify as well, and I will post my proposal a few posts down.

@Beketov @Street x Lite

I should also note to those saying that the biggest fuck up was letting the Brampton people decide where to go. Pretty sure Vegas would have been stacked anyways and running away with the Cup even without Rowe, Syndergaard, and Jokinen. No disrespect to their talents though. It was more of them having too many draft picks in the now five-team draft. It would have been less stacked if there was still seven teams, as at the least Dexter Lane and Slava Aleksei, perfectly functional top-line or at the worst depth players would be assigned to other teams and Vegas would only really have Vernon Von Axelberry, Felix Savard, Takashi Fujimoto, and Rudolph. Which they just happened to luck out and have the top 3 picks of the draft without purposely trading for them after it was known which teams had the three worst records. Recall Brampton had the first three picks last year as well, it was just a shame the players they took were not the three best on the board, as they left available talents such as Fook Yu instead taking MA Leblanc. Could have challenged Ottawa more last year.

I understand @JardyB10's rant on the cyclical nature of the VHLM and how it is supposed to be a "developmental" league, whatever that means, but let's face it, everyone wants to win. While I am sure @Frank and @Banackock will be making long-term changes to the VHLM after this season to prevent further such seasons, what I propose in the short term is...

I keep both Clarence Fong the goalie on Ottawa so I don't fuck over Jardy for the next two seasons, and Rudy Ying becomes my project two player. I understand there is no three-season gap, so let's come to an agreement that I will have to force-retire one of Fong or Ying after five seasons instead of eight, so joining the S55 VHL Entry Draft, I will have to retire one of Fong or Ying at S59.

Deal? Thought long and hard and that is the best win-win I can come up of. :cheers: 

And as a finale, copying what I wrote on @Street x Lite's podcast...

He made great points, the one that stood out the most to me being that since I don't know when, new players who joined after the draft and before the next draft are now free agent style waiver pickups free to sign with any team who has a $5 million cap to sign as little as 3 players ($2M x2, $1M x1) or as much as 10 players at $500k minimum. Didn't know when this started as before it was a waiver claim, where the top team in the waiver priority would automatically get the player if they were interested, and teams had 24 hours to state their intentions to claim the player...

That is a big flaw. Because a lot of new players from now until the rest of the season, will be signing with Vegas.

And @JardyB10, I apologize for not understanding your plans for competing this year, because I thought they were non-existent. I totally forgot about recreates at the trade deadline or before that with a significant recreate TPE, and you acquiring maybe some of Oslo, Saskatoon, or Yukon's assets to gear up for a run against Vegas. Actually, I thought Oslo would be the biggest competitor to Vegas this year so if Oslo drafted me, I wouldn't have retired because I knew he had aspirations to compete. It was just unfortunate I was unaware of your aspirations to compete otherwise I wouldn't have retired Fong and created Ying.

Just now, punkhippie said:

That is a big flaw. Because a lot of new players from now until the rest of the season, will be signing with Vegas.

This isn't necessarily true though. If Robbie can make room for them, possibly, but he has to make an offer before they can choose to sign.

4 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I understand @JardyB10's rant on the cyclical nature of the VHLM and how it is supposed to be a "developmental" league, whatever that means, but let's face it, everyone wants to win. While I am sure @Frank and @Banackock will be making long-term changes to the VHLM after this season to prevent further such seasons, what I propose in the short term is...

I keep both Clarence Fong the goalie on Ottawa so I don't fuck over Jardy for the next two seasons, and Rudy Ying becomes my project two player. I understand there is no three-season gap, so let's come to an agreement that I will have to force-retire one of Fong or Ying after five seasons instead of eight, so joining the S55 VHL Entry Draft, I will have to retire one of Fong or Ying at S59.

Deal? Thought long and hard and that is the best win-win I can come up of. :cheers: 

And to not fuck over any future VHL GM's when they draft me next year, them knowing that one of my players will only have a season length of 5 instead of 8, it will remain undecided even to myself, and not revealed until S59 which of Fong or Ying will be retiring at S59? Is that a win-win?

Just now, Street x Lite said:

This isn't necessarily true though. If Robbie can make room for them, possibly, but he has to make an offer before they can choose to sign.

Well last season Ottawa had no problems signing a lot of waiver pickups and reaching their $5M cap.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, punkhippie said:

And to not fuck over any future VHL GM's when they draft me next year, them knowing that one of my players will only have a season length of 5 instead of 8, it will remain undecided even to myself, and not revealed until S59 which of Fong or Ying will be retiring at S59? Is that a win-win?

I hate how its make me think you're talking about my players Terence Fong and Ying Qin lol.

It definitely sucks in the VHLM if you end up on a rebuilding team. It's not like in the VHL where if you're on that type of team, you know it'll only last a couple of seasons more or less and you'll be competing. But in the VHLM, you're only there for like 1 or 2 seasons and gone to the VHL, so if you're on a shit team then that's basically all that you will experience.

I mean, with my new player Bo Boeser who will spend only 1 season in the VHLM, he got drafted by the Saskatoon Wild. They're not the most horrible team by any means, but they don't have a goalie and they don't compare to a competitor like Las Vegas. It's hard to get super excited being drafted by a rebuilder with a player who will only be in the minors for 1 season.

I've never had a VHLM Championship, so that is my goal still. Parechkin came close, and Ironside close as well, but Ironside was never going to beat the champions last season. My first player Boychuk had a good run with the Turku Outlaws, with players like Dimonethis Vlasis and Vojtek Svoboda on the team. But, I was hoping Boeser could do something that I couldn't accomplish yet in the VHLM. Maybe next time, or maybe if I get traded, or if Saskatoon strengthens the squad. I don't mean to shit on Sasky by any means, but Las Vegas is just going to be so good that it's unfair. :lol: Good on Robbie for doing that obviously

I've actually been thinking about starting a weekly VHLM podcast to drum up activity around the league, because I personally do not want to see the VHLM be dissolved. 

I also am severely against having new members just being placed onto VHL teams, since I actually enjoy the experience of playing in the minors first and earning the right to be on a VHL team. It adds to the realism (lol) of the league as a whole.

Maybe if we have to dissolve the VHLM we replace it with a tournament of some kind, or possibly rebuild it from scratch?

Edited by Corco

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

It definitely sucks in the VHLM if you end up on a rebuilding team. It's not like in the VHL where if you're on that type of team, you know it'll only last a couple of seasons more or less and you'll be competing. But in the VHLM, you're only there for like 1 or 2 seasons and gone to the VHL, so if you're on a shit team then that's basically all that you will experience.

I mean, with my new player Bo Boeser who will spend only 1 season in the VHLM, he got drafted by the Saskatoon Wild. They're not the most horrible team by any means, but they don't have a goalie and they don't compare to a competitor like Las Vegas. It's hard to get super excited being drafted by a rebuilder with a player who will only be in the minors for 1 season.

I've never had a VHLM Championship, so that is my goal still. Parechkin came close, and Ironside close as well, but Ironside was never going to beat the champions last season. My first player Boychuk had a good run with the Turku Outlaws, with players like Dimonethis Vlasis and Vojtek Svoboda on the team. But, I was hoping Boeser could do something that I couldn't accomplish yet in the VHLM. Maybe next time, or maybe if I get traded, or if Saskatoon strengthens the squad. I don't mean to shit on Sasky by any means, but Las Vegas is just going to be so good that it's unfair. :lol: Good on Robbie for doing that obviously

I'm sure @BobertZ would welcome you with open arms if you wanted a trade here. No disrespect to either myself or Rask Rowe, but Vegas looks like it is missing an elite center.

9 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I'm sure @BobertZ would welcome you with open arms if you wanted a trade here. No disrespect to either myself or Rask Rowe, but Vegas looks like it is missing an elite center.

Yeah, haha. I mentioned that to Robbie that he could use a centerman such as myself. ;)