Weekes Returns to Hockey, Hockey Doesn't Return the Call

Molholt

Jackson Weekes, SHL Hall of Famer and legend, years removed from his time in that league, has come out of retirement and entered the VHL as an unrestricted free agent in the VHLM. The goalie, now in his mid-30s, is looking to revitalize his historic career in another league, something attempted by a few, but never very successful. Weekes announced his eligibility earlier this week, but has yet to see any interest from any potential teams about his services. Despite this, his hopes are still high of making a comeback.

Sure, I think I have something left in the tank, but I'm not surprised that not everyone else is buying into that. It has been a few years since I've played professional hockey, or much hockey at all for that matter. However, I am a bit disappointed in the lack of interest. By my count, the VHLM (the VHL's development league and gateway to the VHL Entry Draft), isn't teeming with fantastic prospects and while my age says I'm not exactly a "prospect," I figured my resume would hold up better.

Weekes has yet to hear from any team in the VHLM, despite the fact that on paper he seems like he would be a better option than Ottawa's Eddie King, Oslo's Our Lady of Perpetual Motion (in the long run, likely) and Saskatoon's lack of a goalie listed on their roster. This may mean that Weekes' comeback could be ended short, but we'll continue following this story if it develops. 

Edited by Molholt