Claimed: Things I'd Like To See Get Back Up To Date [1/2]

Tagger

Last week, the VHL celebrated its tenth anniversary and while that is an impressive milestone in itself, what’s even more impressive is that despite the constant forced movements of the board and the transitions of power, the VHL has done a remarkable job of keeping as much of its history intact as it possibly can (The only slight downside was the loss of the pre-S18 indexes which, like the loss of the other 2 forums was something we could do nothing about, although maybe if we’d deleted all the kitchen shit from the first site it wouldn’t have been deleted). However, over the last few seasons, there’s been some stuff that has fallen at the wayside that makes it look a little bit like we’ve stopped caring about making sure this stuff is up to date. Maybe the reasons for this is that the people who used to keep track of this information are no longer in the league, maybe they don’t have the time anymore or they simply don’t want to be in charge of the information, but I think it’s up to us as a community to collectively pick up from the great work that they have left us and keep the VHL as great as it can possibly be. While I’ll be on holiday starting tomorrow until Sunday, when I get back I will be looking to help as much as I can in getting this stuff up to date and hopefully some of you will also be prepared to help in that regard. These are the things that I see that are currently lagging behind:

VHL All-Star Game

This is actually something that requires a lot more than tracking of information as the problems with the All-Star game are more pressing than simply having the right information. Season 54, I’m not sure how many of you noticed, but we didn’t have an All-Star Game. Not just that, we didn’t even pick teams for it, and while voting for Season 55 All-Star participants is present in the VHL BOG, there’s been no schedule for decided lineups or sim date, meaning we risk a second season without simming an All-Star game. While I’ve never really looked into the All-Star game sim itself, I feel like All-Star appearances have been stuff that people have looked at as a sign that they’ve done well, so if the issue is that making the game itself is too much effort, maybe instead of having an All-Star game, we kind of make it more like the All-NBA teams (I don’t know if NHL do the same) where they pick the best players in the league that season and just not have the All-Star game. I also feel like taking away the public voting for the All-Star game has had a negative effect on the popularity of the event (While I understood the decision to give BOG members voting for awards, I felt it was somewhat of an overreaction when the decision was made to give BOG the rights to pick the All-Star participants as well), so I feel like we should bring back public voting for the game.

Records

The VHL has seen a lot of great single-season performances as of late, from Stockholm’s 66 wins last season to Guntis Petenis 300+ penalty minutes to the extremely low GAA of some of the recent goalies, but because the recent ones haven’t been documented, you wouldn’t know where they’d stand in the all-time lists. Team records haven’t been updated since Season 49 while individual records haven’t been updated since Season 51, not super long but long enough that there have been some dramatic changes to the standings since they were last touched. I’m not sure for the reason why they haven’t been updated (maybe there was some deliberation over whether to make a new record sheet with the change in update scales?), but it’s something that would be nice to see back up to date.

Trades

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I actually used the Trade Tracker thread a lot for my more thought out VHL pieces, but unfortunately, having not been updated since Season 51, it’s becoming less and less useful. My bigger concern though is with the draft pick tracker, something that for so long was very consistently up to date, but as of right now, it’s currently slightly out-of-date, with Cologne missing the picks they earned from Riga in the Marcus King trade. No doubt this would have been brought up on the day by the Express GM, but if Will (or whichever admin used to keep these trackers up to date) is no longer doing it, then we need to find a replacement because I’ve seen for myself what happens when no-one is keeping track of the draft picks, and it isn’t pretty!

For Ky

1 hour ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Records

The VHL has seen a lot of great single-season performances as of late, from Stockholm’s 66 wins last season to Guntis Petenis 300+ penalty minutes to the extremely low GAA of some of the recent goalies, but because the recent ones haven’t been documented, you wouldn’t know where they’d stand in the all-time lists. Team records haven’t been updated since Season 49 while individual records haven’t been updated since Season 51, not super long but long enough that there have been some dramatic changes to the standings since they were last touched. I’m not sure for the reason why they haven’t been updated (maybe there was some deliberation over whether to make a new record sheet with the change in update scales?), but it’s something that would be nice to see back up to date.

This is more to do with member editing permissions (or access to the HOF account) as well as only certain members having access to the records spreadsheets; I think it's @Strtlght/@Victor (?) but I'm not 100% sure.

40 minutes ago, Corco said:

This is more to do with member editing permissions (or access to the HOF account) as well as only certain members having access to the records spreadsheets; I think it's @Strtlght/@Victor (?) but I'm not 100% sure.

Not I. I just do the career stats. I'm pretty sure @Phil has also done some of the work in the HOF forum with maybe records and the like.

• TheLastOlympian07 changed the title to Things I'd Like To See Get Back Up To Date [1/2]

Review

I simple yet effective way to get stuff done in the VHL. Make a MS about it. I too would like to see this stuff up to date. Also the ASG needs to come back because although I don't care too much about it. It is still nice to see players get recognized for their hard work during the season.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Corco said:

'Tis I, but they can be copied by willing members. Or I could grant access I suppose.

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: Things I'd Like To See Get Back Up To Date [1/2]