Claimed: top 10 players pt1

scoop

Top 10 Players in the VHL

It seems as though there is not often discussion about who the best current players in the VHL are; at least, not as much as you might expect. I think throughout the years, there is usually a consensus best player, or top two. At the moment, I don't think we have that. While I think there are definitely a few names that stand out, I don't necessarily think it's something that everyone would agree on. While I have my own opinions, I could understand if someone had a vastly different order for their own top ten. Though I do think for the most part the names would stay the same, there are a few players who definitely have a claim to being FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY.

I've created the list by looking at a few factors. Simply looking at a single season is not enough to grasp who the best player is. I'm giving more weight to recent seasons, but I'm looking back up to three seasons for my rankings. Additionally, the skill levels of each player will be in consideration. While the current season is not completely ignored, it is mostly supplementary. I had originally planned on making this list during the off-season prior to this season, so I already had some ideas about the order, and I came to conclusions throughout the season. It is unlikely, therefore, that a player who is having a phenomenal season this year, but never stood out prior, will make the list.

No more babbling, let's just get to the number ten player.

10. G Astrid Moon (HSK) @KGR

Just cracking the list is Astrid Moon, who is struggling this season, but he has been one of the best goalies over the previous two seasons. He has never been named Top Goalie, but he was really a breakout star in the S54 playoffs when he won the Daisuke Kanou Trophy. With back-to-back 20-shutout seasons, Moon has really demonstrated an ability to win games on his own. Still, with just how bad of a season he is currently having, he probably shouldn't be on this list, and unless he really turns it around, he'd find himself moved down several places if I were to take a look again during the off-season.

9. C Lukas Muller (QUE) @solas

Lukas Muller is definitely a player on the rise. He has posted back-to-back 100+ point seasons, and is well on his way to a third, leading the league with 90 points through 48 games in the current season. In addition to his offensive prowess, he is one of the better centers in the face-off circle. Playing in just his fourth season, Muller still has time to grow, and there are aspects of his game that are underdeveloped compared to some of the top players. Still, if he can keep things going the way they are, its likely that he'll be considered top five sooner rather than later.

8. D Guntis Petenis (QUE) @hedgehog337

I feel like some people will disagree with this spot for Guntis Petenis, considering he is the number three defenseman on my list. As the winner of the two most recent Sterling Labatte Trophies, you'd think he'd have the edge on the others, but I think the current season is evidence that age is not treating him well. While he's not playing terribly, he's also noticeably worse than he has been. Truthfully, I put that more on him overperforming in previous seasons, at least as far as his offensive numbers go; but at the end of the day, it's his defensive capabilities that have him in the top ten.

7. C Essian Ravenwing (RIG) @der meister

Essian Ravenwing's career got off to a slow start, but he has definitely risen to become one of the top players in the league. Playing in his seventh season, he is currently second in the league with 88 points. Over the last three seasons, he has 294 points, the third most in that time span, and just ten penalty minutes. His disciplined play is definitely a highlight of his game, as is his prowess in winning face-offs (his 64.9% win rate tops the league currently). Although Ravenwing's likely maxed out in terms of his potential, he looks to close out the final seasons of his career as one of the best in the game.

6. D Fabio Jokinen (QUE) @jRuutu

While Petenis has had unexpectedly strong offensive seasons recently, it is actually Fabio Jokinen who has the most points among defensemen over the last three seasons with 233. Although he isn't as physical of a player as other top defensemen, Jokinen is a phenomenal player on both ends of the ice. With a third of the current season left to play, he looks poised to win his first Sterling Labatte Trophy. With the other defensemen on this list several years older than him, Jokinen is looking like he will be the best blue liner for a while. Until next season, however, I still have him as the second best, and the sixth best player overall.

for Maxwell

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

so you're saying muller accomplished more than cornerstone ?

:tf_morganglasses:

More points, more hits, better face-off percentage. You've got him beat by 11 goals and you were carried to a couple Championships. Not sure where the debate is.

It is a little closer when I factor in this season as well (consider, as I mentioned, this list was made throughout the season and doesn't focus so much on S56), but overall his numbers are still better when looking at you two as individuals. Your team has had more success, but not because of you.

Edited by Strtlght

2 minutes ago, boubabi said:

well, you had the most luckiest last sim

you had like a 5 pts games at the end

Yeah but the thing about that is it happened.

You also had just 28 goals and 81 points in S54. As far as this list was concerned, you had one good season in your career.

Edited by Strtlght

1 minute ago, boubabi said:

and anyway, why your top 10 isn't for this season anyway

if you're saying I'm not top 10 this season, impossible to argue furthermore

You could just read the media spot instead of looking at the names :shrug:

i just don't get the point

how can you evaluate players with different lifespan and judging them for it

would yo uexcept cornerstone to tear the shit up in helsinki in his first 2 seasons ? I don't understand