Mikka Pajari Press Conference

Devise

• Commissioner

1. What prompted you to come back? I’d ask what prompted you to leave but I know the answer to that.

2. What changes have you seen since returning that you like the most / the least?

3. You got drafted but not signed by Riga, making you a free agent. What are the odds you jump to a different team in the off-season?

1. Obviously you weren't active, but considering your reputation within the league as a former admin, were you still surprised to see that you'd been drafted as late as you were?

2. You've been here for a while so I think it's safe to say you'll be able to give a proper answer, How Anime is the VHL?

3. Out of all of your players you've had in the VHL, which one was the most memorable for you? 

1. What was your favorite player you've created and why?

2. When did you first start playing this game?

3. Since your now a FA is there any team you are partial to joining?

4. Any personal goals you hope to accomplish with Pajari?

5. Are you planning on sticking around for the long term this time since you've come back?

On 7/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Beketov said:

1. What prompted you to come back? I’d ask what prompted you to leave but I know the answer to that.

2. What changes have you seen since returning that you like the most / the least?

3. You got drafted but not signed by Riga, making you a free agent. What are the odds you jump to a different team in the off-season?

1. Time mostly. Despite having free time during the days, I started to question how much time I was spending here. I also was just spent when I left honestly, even before I left. I was ready for an extended break. But it's mostly I feel I have a bit more time to at least welfare at worst and post a bit here some more, combined with feeling refreshed/satisfied with a break. 

2. The portal is what I like the most for sure, including all the updating stuff. In regards to the least, tough to say as I haven't been back enough to really make a judgement one way or the other. 

3. Zero. I want to build with the narrative that my player was a scrub 3rd rounder and gave his team crazy value. To be honest during my entire VHL career I've felt overlooked. Yes I went inactive beforehand with Pajari this time out, however I mostly mean with previous players. I've often been late first round and sometimes second round players despite consistency/TPE. I'm not blaming anyone specific either, some of my players didn't always pan out individually. I just wanted this one to be a late pick who gives value to his team that way, and now that narrative fits with Riga so. 

On 7/24/2018 at 2:11 PM, Tagger said:

1. Obviously you weren't active, but considering your reputation within the league as a former admin, were you still surprised to see that you'd been drafted as late as you were?

2. You've been here for a while so I think it's safe to say you'll be able to give a proper answer, How Anime is the VHL?

3. Out of all of your players you've had in the VHL, which one was the most memorable for you? 

1. Yeah, sort of. I figured I may got in the 2nd late, but for sure I thought I'd be one of the first people taken in the third. But I was the third from last pick in the draft, so yeah a little surprising. But hey as I said above I've always been overlooked at drafts, regardless of how much career TPE I have across all my players. 

2. Oh man, as a Pajanime Chroncile myself, listen I know Anime. I'm coming to know Anime more and more. The VHL is probably Super Sayain One in regards to Anime Tier. It's getting there, hell your probably kicking yourself because you hate to admit it's just anime. But it's still not all the way there. Yet. Who knows what the future holds. 

3. Skylar Rift. I had a lot of fun with my two in Cologne, but the resurgence that was supposed to be M.T. Power ended up more of a GM moment for me and less about my player. I tried to get it back with Verner and then Macht but it was too far gone at that point. I clearly needed a breather. Rift was me in my prime. I got to sync making GM decisions with NY and then giving over the GM spot and screwing over Calgary to win a Cup and a Playoff MVP win Quebec. All while the Pajodcast boys were strong and active in the VHL, and Kyle was on my team when we won in Que too. (Squinty, Koradek, Bora, Frank, lots of quality members on that Quebec team.) So yeah, Rift had the most memorable run for me. 

On 7/24/2018 at 6:59 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

1. What was your favorite player you've created and why?

2. When did you first start playing this game?

3. Since your now a FA is there any team you are partial to joining?

4. Any personal goals you hope to accomplish with Pajari?

5. Are you planning on sticking around for the long term this time since you've come back?

1. Kind of answered this one already but I'd say my goalie who played from S32-36. Had the most fun with him all around for a whole career versus my other players who had ups and downs.

2. I'm not as long lived as some members on here (Sterling) but I've been around quite a while. My first player was Rauno Pajari who was created for the S24 draft. That would of been in 2011. I had a few dips in activity but until my recent extended hiatus I was active straight from 24 onwards. I'd probably say "active" since I wasn't always going hard for TPE. But I have the career TPE across most of my players of someone who's been through the grinder.

3. Mentioned above as well, but I'll be sticking with Riga who drafted me way late. Fits the narrative.

4. I mean I wouldn't mind being able to help the team win a Championship, of course. Individually I feel like I just want Mikka to be more consistent than Rauno was way back when. Rauno never really got to the point per game level or above until his last season. Even though Mikka will be depth, I'd love to just have some consistency to the career. 

5. I don't know. Maybe? I went on a hiatus as most of us "old timers" do because after you've been through 4, 5, 6, 7 players things start to wear. I was only really gone for a full season + some change, and seeing all the changes, some fresh faces, some returning faces and just a healthier league in the time since I've left has been refreshing. But as a former Blue I was kind of involved in some of that stuff too, so I was able to see some of these changes coming in advance/the discussions on them. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 6:46 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

1. How does it feel to be back Poppa Devise?

2. Do you think Jericho will ever come back?

3. How do you feel about the VHLM now a days?

4. How does it feel to finally know the Caps are cup champs?

5. Do you think you will ever get back to your super active ways?

1. Alright. I mean I was never really truly "gone." That is to say I always lurked, and occasionally posted behind the scenes. In general I've always been more active behind the scenes then on the public board during my later tenure here.

2. That is probably a hard no. I've heard rumblings that maybe he will come back as a multi, or is already here. But take that for what you will. I don't really think he has the time for this place anymore. He's also super invested into our YT channel and most of his non personal free time gets thrown into that. He is our editor so his time commitment is a bit  more than just showing up for vids. 

3. Alright? I don't know. I've talked at length how I think we have too many hard workers/contributing members doing work in both leagues. I know that sounds like it's not a negative, in my mind if we put all those hard workers together pooling their resources into one league it'd be better. The problem is there is no "clean" way to do that short of a reset or something bigger and scarier that most on here aren't even remotely ready for. Give it another few more years though, it's bound to happen.

4. I could go on and on at length. What a journey these playoffs were. I'm happy to have been right, all I heard from everybody following them beating the Pens was "they are now going to think it's over." That always insulted me, and honestly really spoke to how little outside fans understood about the Caps psyche problems. It wasn't just Pitt fans either. It was just fans in general. It's easy to doubt the Caps, but the real reason us Caps fan always doubted them wasn't because they weren't good enough. It was that they always beat themselves, it was a mental problem. There is a notable clip of Ovechkin after Kuzy scores the OT winner against the Pens where it looks like a literal fucking anvil was lifted off his shoulders. Following that moment, my mindset was "I don't think this team is going to get into it's way anymore, if we lose we lose but it won't be a choke." We went on to win, and played as if we were a team freed from an enormous amount of pressure. That one clip of Ovie going "finally" ended up being the mental equivalent of what was holding us back. However it never really "hit me" that we won until weeks after. I celebrated and all that but watching the Cups struggle for so long when it finally happened I had days of "did that happen?" I think next season will be interesting too, everyone already writing us off due to too much celebration, Cup hangover, Toronto getting better (laughs) or a litany of other things. I'm not saying we will for sure repeat, but I do think we have a chance to and will be a quality playoff team again this year. 

5. I don't really know what you mean by that. I don't know if I was ever what you'd call "super active." I never TPE whored in my life. I only got close to the 1000 TPE limit with one player I believe, and realistically I've always made 600-900 TPE type players, even when most active. I can make that type of player without doing many point tasks in the modern VHL, especially with welfare now giving me 5 and practice facility the extra 1 to make up for the PT. I don't think I'll ever be as active around the boards as I used to be, not unless the boards have some spurt of interesting activity. But most of the threads I liked to visit (game discussion, movie/tv discussion, site discussion) are less active than normal due to people wanting to chat instead of have forum style debates. Occasional me and some of the other debaters here, ergo mostly @diamond_ace hop into a thread and give it  a few paragraphs. But yeah I don't think so. 

1. I'm having a BBQ next week and wish for you to attend. Though, I am curious, what is Pajari's "go to" choice for grilling?

2. Does he put ketchup on his steak? If not, try it.

3. Does he have any pre-game rituals?

4. what about superstitions?

5. Lastly, who wins the continental this season?

+1 Smirnov

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, Banackock said:

1. I'm having a BBQ next week and wish for you to attend. Though, I am curious, what is Pajari's "go to" choice for grilling?

2. Does he put ketchup on his steak? If not, try it.

3. Does he have any pre-game rituals?

4. what about superstitions?

5. Lastly, who wins the continental this season?

+1 Smirnov

1. Whoops I missed the BBQ, was it for your Birthday? Also, BBQ in this snow? As for my, not Pajari's since he's a fictional character and everything favorite grilling. I'm a steak guy, New York Strip is my go to. Baked potato to go with. I also like kebobs, but if I had to like choose favorites for those it'd probably be shrimp and lamb with veggies of course. 

2. No. No. No. So there was this period of my life as a child where I lived in a place with cousins who put ketchup on fucking everything. Like everything. Ketchup and balogna sandwhiches, ketchup on spaghetti. It was nuts. After that my affinity for ketchup in general, became limited. As a dipping sauce for fries for example, I think it's fine. As a condiment on a hot dog or a hamburger, sure. Hell, even a little on some eggs or an omelette? Sure I get it. But on steak or sandwiches? Never. A sin. Steaks either deserve no shitty sauce on top of it, and a well concocted dry herbal rub. Or alternatively, HP/A1 sauce. 

3. What? Does my fictional character have any pre game rituals? No I didn't really get that deep into the roleplay. To humor the question and try to think what my own pregame rituals probably would be, I'd probably say weed and a fruit juice would probably be involved, with a lot of sitting and relaxing. 

4. Similar to the other one, not really that deep into the roleplay with this one. But I personally find a few actual hockey rituals interesting/fascinating. There was the Crosby peanut butter and jellie one for example. Just seeing how many NHL players have rituals and how weird some of them are, but I totally get it. As a poker player when I was playing more regularly and winning decently you'd start to get into playing habits and try to do similar things to set that up. Our minds function weird like that, even if we know those little details don't actually play a part, sometimes they do. Hell I'm sure a lot of us here can even relate on a lesser level. 3-1 sim curses, STHS karma, we buy into a lot of stuff and change the way we would normally behave sometimes on the boards during situations where there is possibility of winning. 

5. Davos or Quebec. I don't see Calgary doing it. For whatever reason, speaking of superstitions and STHS karma, STHS has a narrative. The narrative can certainly shift, but of the last 20+ seasons Calgary has been relegated to a almost but not quite, even when they have quality teams. Hell even when they have the best team in the sim. Eagles made all the right moves FA and otherwise and never saw a Cup from that run. It was insane. During the 30's, as NY began to add it's name to HSK, and DAV as teams that tend to win a lot more, CGY was still readily considered another one of those teams. It had a history and a legacy and both Seattle and Toronto struggled to get success in the playoffs consistently. To the point that the Quebec win in 35 put the Seattles and the Toronto's of the NA a bit further behind. But then at some point it became a question of which of the other NA teams would be able to join NA in terms of franchise wins/more dominance. Enter the threepeat, and Toronto essentially not only entering that name, and honestly probably pushing themselves ahead of NY to be the defacto "best franchise" in NA, they pretty much replaced old Calgary. Who used to really be considered the dynasty team out of NA.

Now I'd say that is probably Toronto, with NY not too far behind. Meanwhile SEA and CGY both still struggle for any type of consistency. CGY and QUE both have chances, I just think the fact that they are likely to run into a Davos franchise that consistently since the dawn of the league has had quality success, that STHS is going to say otherwise another season in a row and let DAV repeat and keep the narrative. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think Pajari will be your first Hall of Fame player?

Any particular players you want to play with in the future?

Lets be honest, shooting for Sully in S64?

Think we will be able to get some VHL Pajodcasts done ever again?

How much would we have to pay Kyle for him to come back you think?

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2018 at 1:34 PM, hedgehog337 said:

1. Were you surprised to see Pajari pretty much becoming the 7th forward?

2. Can Riga win this season?

3. Could be Kallis the only reason why Riga couldn't win this season?

4. Your fav place in Riga?

5. Do you miss your home?

1. Not really. Just the way things go, I know I've been loyal to the team and that at some point some of these forwards will be leaving. We lose one to retirement next season. I think at some point Pajari will settle and establish himself as the go to #2 Center for Riga and be very good in that role. 

2. Absolutely. Any of the top four teams could win the Cup and nobody would be surprised. 

3. Maybe. It's been and up and down season for most of the goalies, having stellar games and really bad games. The VHL offensive era really doesn't want to fade even if it slowly is probably in transition the other way. Because of that Kallis may not need to be a big link, the offense for Riga is there and if it is when they need it Kallis may not need to steal the show. 

4. Like actual Riga? I've never been, would be a place I'd visit though for sure. 

5. Miss my home? I have no idea what you are referencing now. Maybe my rookie profile/bio, which was so long ago I'd have to read it to remember what I even put. For the sake of continuity, I'll say no and that Pajari loves it in Riga! :P 

On 10/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, Advantage said:

Do you think Pajari will be your first Hall of Fame player?

Any particular players you want to play with in the future?

Lets be honest, shooting for Sully in S64?

Think we will be able to get some VHL Pajodcasts done ever again?

How much would we have to pay Kyle for him to come back you think?

1. Very unlikely. He'd have to really heat up for the last portion of his career, and while I think he has the potential to actually have some solid seasons in his last 3-4, I don't think HoF is something he'll be able to work towards at this point.

2. I'm always open to playing with multiple players/members. I'm curious to see how the league shakes out the next two seasons, as it appears a few of the more notable teams will be rebuilding. I'd love playing with Casey Jones for example. Or Matt Thompson. Roger Sterling too. 

3. Absolutely. I haven't been quiet about it, it was a part of the  negotiations with Quik. Obviously both Helsinki and Toronto still pushing for that WC spot because neither of us have our own in S64, but I think that it's pretty evident Toronto hopes to land Sully Jr in S64 draft. 

4. I hope so. I wouldn't mind going back to the well and doing another one for old times sake. Gives me an excuse to actually go and reupload some of our old stuff that I have on file as well. I'm sure it's something we'll look at doing down the road here. 

5. I don't even know if money would work. I very much get the sense talking to him about it that it's apart of his life that he has really moved on from. I think it's easy to forget he's also less interested in actual real hockey than we are, and often I feel that can carry the interest here. So if he has little interest in that and in participating in the league/community there really just isn't much here for him. I'd love an old school reunion though, even if just for another player run. 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

Also, you get lots of snow this past weekend? @Devise