VHLM GM Spot (Saskatoon)

Corco

So GMing is rated just on how many players you claim off waivers? Good to know. 

Fever is one of the better GMs in the league. Once his team is ready to compete, these stupid complaints will come to an end. 

So GMing is rated just on how many players you claim off waivers? Good to know. 

Fever is one of the better GMs in the league. Once his team is ready to compete, these stupid complaints will come to an end. 

When i pointed Fever out for not claiming anyone, I did not realize his reason. However, I now understand his reasoning and he has told me he will be super active (waiver claims and drafting) this coming offseason as he has a lot of draft picks and quite possibly could be a playoff contender.. I believe Turku is in good hands and we should end all debate about Turku management. 

haha nobody was complaining when I was contending in S34...after going all in that season, it has been a couple years of rebuilding and we will be back stronger than ever in S37...thanks to those who have defended me.

I don't buy whatever reason lightning gave for not picking up players. So basically his reason was to make a push this year (i.e. to tank and get good picks)? If that was it, but he's still active let it go for now but it's not something we should encourage in the future.

It's VHLM GMs jobs to get players interested in the league by getting them on teams pretty much as soon as possible. Just as important (if not moreso) than winning the league.

I don't buy whatever reason lightning gave for not picking up players. So basically his reason was to make a push this year (i.e. to tank and get good picks)? If that was it, but he's still active let it go for now but it's not something we should encourage in the future.

It's VHLM GMs jobs to get players interested in the league by getting them on teams pretty much as soon as possible. Just as important (if not moreso) than winning the league.

I agree with your contention, especially if a VHLM team has few actives on it. If that's the case, the GM should claim the player, and focus on his career one on one. Keeping even one new member active a season is a major success.

That wasn't his reasoning. There were a good amount of teams this year who had no active players on the team. Instead of each getting something like one player, Fever didn't claim so other teams like Ottawa could claim 3 waiver wire people so 3 actives would be on the same team together instead of one all alone. 

Even if the team wants to tank, just claim a player and trade them. Then again, tanking really shouldn't be encouraged/rewarded at all.

Exactly, work with the player one on one, to keep him active, and trade him to a playoff team so the member can have a run at the playoffs (considering your team is not in the playoffs). I don't believe in any excuse NOT to claim a player, but Fever is very active, and does not deserve to be fired like many have proclaimed.

That wasn't his reasoning. There were a good amount of teams this year who had no active players on the team. Instead of each getting something like one player, Fever didn't claim so other teams like Ottawa could claim 3 waiver wire people so 3 actives would be on the same team together instead of one all alone.

Thats not right. He should have claimed them, gotten them top line minutes and traded them at the deadline. Having a completely inactive team looks terrible and defeats the actual aim of the VHLM. AKA it aint about you winning games.

having waiver pick-ups on a basement team isn't going to keep members active...it actually makes them less interested and trading them can be harder than it sounds but this is about a new Saskatoon GM, not Turku and I don't need to defend myself anymore.

Thats not right. He should have claimed them, gotten them top line minutes and traded them at the deadline. Having a completely inactive team looks terrible and defeats the actual aim of the VHLM. AKA it aint about you winning games.

The actual aim of the VHLM is to keep new player interested and active in the league. I fail to see how putting a new player on an awful team all alone with himself and the GM is more productive towards that goal than allowing a bunch of waiver people to group somewhere such as Ottawa. In Ottawa, the 3 waiver wire people still got top line minute, and almost managed to make the playoffs instead of being a basement team that is not as fun to be on.

As far as trading new waiver wire players to playoff teams, I wish this occurred more, but there were a ton of waiver people on non contenders this year who were not traded to playoff teams this year.

The actual aim of the VHLM is to keep new player interested and active in the league. I fail to see how putting a new player on an awful team all alone with himself and the GM is more productive towards that goal than allowing a bunch of waiver people to group somewhere such as Ottawa. In Ottawa, the 3 waiver wire people still got top line minute, and almost managed to make the playoffs instead of being a basement team that is not as fun to be on.

As far as trading new waiver wire players to playoff teams, I wish this occurred more, but there were a ton of waiver people on non contenders this year who were not traded to playoff teams this year.

This is where we will disagree my friend. If a team is awful, it's usually an indication few actives are on that specific team. Therefore, the GM has adequate time to spend one on one time with that specific member, and ensure he remains active. I tend to believe members are overrating the idea of being ''successful'' in regards to wins.The true purpose of the VHLM to promote activity for new members, and offering solid advice for their players.

This is where we will disagree my friend. If a team is awful, it's usually an indication few actives are on that specific team. Therefore, the GM has adequate time to spend one on one time with that specific member, and ensure he remains active. I tend to believe members are overrating the idea of being ''successful'' in regards to wins.The true purpose of the VHLM to promote activity for new members, and offering solid advice for their players.

My point is that it is better for new players to be on a potential playoff team as that is more interesting for them than being on a basement team. 

My point is that it is better for new players to be on a potential playoff team as that is more interesting for them than being on a basement team. 

Perhaps that's the case, but that does not excuse a GM from not claiming a player for a good chunk of the season. Work with a member for a good portion of the season, and then trade him to a playoff team if he desires.

Perhaps that's the case, but that does not excuse a GM from not claiming a player for a good chunk of the season. Work with a member for a good portion of the season, and then trade him to a playoff team if he desires.

That idea sounds great in theory, but new waiver wire people on non-playoff teams rarely get traded. This is something that should be changed.

That idea sounds great in theory, but new waiver wire people on non-playoff teams rarely get traded. This is something that should be changed.

It occurred several times this season due to the class of several GM's. I agree though, it should be happening more often.

• Head Moderator

Me wants a VHLM team too :D

So include me in the mix!

Fairly self explanatory here. 

I've been the commish before, I know how the system works, why there is a need for specific types of people (active board people) as VHLM GMs.

Plus I've never had a crack at being GM yet and I dont want to be a VHL GM (mainly as I don't want my player pigeon holed to a team).

Edited by tfong

It occurred several times this season due to the class of several GM's. I agree though, it should be happening more often.

But they weren't new waiver wire players. At the beginning of the season, I traded Knight to Bratislava in order to play with his brother and on a contender. D_T moved Logan Laich to Minot for Brodie Bradus, who may not be active, but he's still a solid VHLM player. There weren't any trades during the season that saw new, even at least semi-active first gens moved from non-contenders to contenders, largely because these players were already on playoff contenders, which is a good thing.

Why not, I'll apply. I have experience not only as a VHLM GM, however, with this team as well. I'd love to gain this position, I'll do nothing but give my full front each day ensuring I do the most of my abilities to win, and grow my players. I'll be looking to be a contender each season never looking to lose purposely. I expect a fun locker room, and I have fun ideas and ways to keep my members active, which worked the last time I was in Saskatoon. I was also close to a championship my last go around ergo leaving me hungry for more. I'll also make fair trades, never try and manipulate players or other general managers. I hope that I can get the job and I know I can get the work done. I understand what's needed to keep a new member active or a returning member, I understand that when you are a new member the process of trying to settle can be mind-boggling and with my team I'll try to do nothing more than help them through their early stages. I also believe that a good team, active locker room and great general manager can do a lot things right for a new member remaining active. I will take care of my players and keep in mind if that's the right place for them to be traded other than being stubborn and igorning their demands. Again, I believe everyone's voice matters in the locker room and if someone suggests something reasonable I'll do everything in my capabilities to get it done. I'd also say I know how to work my lines as I've had previous success with STHS many times as a general manager in the SHL & VHL. Give me another chance, I won't disappoint. Thanks for your time.

Edited by John