Interview w/ VHLM Hopeful Cole Mertz [1/2]

ColeMrtz

VHLM Weekly

Article by: Riley Johnston

With the VHL Entry Draft and VHLM Expansion draft done and over with, our sights turn to the VHLM Entry Draft, where we expect to see a large pool of talent help bolster the established franchises and found the new team in Halifax. The VHLM is the gateway to the VHL, and for many young players this draft will affirm childhood dreams and determine the next several years of their lives. With their careers on the line, we wanted to know what the players expected in the draft, and in doing so got an interview with 18 year old Detroit native goaltender Cole Mertz. 

Johnston: How long have you been waiting for this day?

Mertz: About 18 years, haha, and I say that jokingly but I've been skating for just about my whole life, since I could walk. Granted I didn't really begin to consider playing pro until I was a little older, but the game has been a part of me for as long as I can remember. Having the chance to turn that dream from so many years ago into a reality is kind of crazy to think about.

Johnston: With the draft just 4 days away, what position do you expect to go?

Mertz: Quite honestly if I went with the last overall pick I'd be happy, but you've also got to know who you're going up against. Most of the goalies in this draft haven't been putting in a whole lot of training, and I'm not saying I'm a whole lot better, but I think if I keep making some improvements here and there before the draft I'll beat out a lot of the other tendys. I'm going to have to try and find every opportunity to better myself but I believe I'll be able to pull it off.

Johnston: How do you feel about the new expansion team?

Mertz: Expansion teams are always good, more competition, more picks in the draft, and you have to love the location. Having a team in a hockey city like Halifax is definitely going to benefit the league, It will bring a lot more attention to the game and hopefully draw in more talent as well. You'll never hear a complaint about the league getting bigger from a guy who's trying to get into it.

Johnston: If you could pick which team to go to, where would you go?

Mertz: I've been in touch with some people and I'm hoping I end up with them, but it's anyone's game. There’s a lot of teams in the league I’d be happy going to, there’s talent everywhere, but right now I’ve kind of got my heart set on one team. I don't think I'm supposed to disclose who I've been in talks with, so I'll let you know if it worked out after the draft.

Johnston: It's been a pleasure Cole, good luck on draft day.

Mertz: Thanks Riley, hopefully I'll be able to give you a follow up if I make the league.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Interview w/ VHLM Hopeful Cole Mertz [1/2]