bagelbitesisbae

(Please give my NHL analysis content a thumbs up at the bottom if you enjoy it. Do not give it a thumbs up out of pity if you do not enjoy it. Quality NHL analysis takes quite a while and a thumbs up is appreciated.)  

The 2018-2019 NHL season is about to start and there are a few teams that SHOULD be in the playoffs and make a strong push for the Stanley Cup. Some of those “already” playoffs contenders are the Winnipeg Jets, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Toronto Maple Leafs. We will analyze those 3 teams so keep reading! 

Winnipeg Jets - A few years ago, the Winnipeg Jets were struggling. They didn’t have an obvious number one goaltender. Though, last season, Connor Hellybuyck rose to the occasion and became an eventual Vezina Trophy finalist. The Jets also have an above average defensive core that includes Dustin Byfuglien and Jacob Trouba. We all know how amazing the Jets’ offensive core is. They did lose Paul Stastny who played on the first power play unit with Mark Schiefele and Blake Wheeler. Losing Paul Stastny did not hinder them in a big way because they still have Patrik Laine, Mark Schiefele, Blake Wheeler, Nikolai Ehlers, and Kyle Connor, wow! Will their cap space hinder them in a way where they won’t be able to sign all of their offensive stars? 

Tampa Bay Lightning - The Tampa Bay Lightning made the Cup final a few years ago. They did not get a playoff spot two years ago. Last season, the Lightning killed it, but eventually lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champions, the Washington Capitals. It was pretty devastating considering how stacked of a team they are. Their offense includes Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos, and rising star, Brayden Point. We all know about their star defenseman, Victor Hedman! They’re expected to make the playoffs and make a push for the Cup next season. Will Andrei Vasilevskiy (Vezina trophy finalist last season) be as good as he was last year? 

Toronto Maple Leafs - The Toronto Maple Leafs recently acquired John Tavares in the free agency period, and they’re expect to make a strong run in the playoffs. John Tavares’ contract was big as it was a 7 by 11 contract. They now have Auston Matthews and John Tavares as their two star players. Their defensive core isn’t amazing and John Tavares’ contract may hurt TOR’s chances of finding another defenseman. They have a number one goaltender in Frederick Andersen, but will he be able to be a consistent number one? 

(Comment down below if you want me to analyze different teams! If you want me to make more NHL-related content, support me by liking this topic.) 

Thank you!

Edited by bagelbitesisbae

1 minute ago, Smarch said:

Seeing Laine live was cool. Him and Patrick Kane have the best hands I've seen live. 

Wait untill you see the Swedish Gretzky in action

58 minutes ago, McWolf said:

I'll riot if my boy Kuch doesn't win the Cup soon. He's won me a couple of fantasy leagues in the last 2 seasons and deserves one of his own.

I’d be dumbfounded if the Lightning don’t win the Stanley Cup within 5 seasons. Such a deep team....hopefully Vasilevskiy can stay consistent throughout the season. Cal Foote is supposed to be decent as well.

I'm feeling a Caps repeat or a Vegas win. Anyone who thinks Toronto is insane. Their D is suspect at best. Spending all that money on Offense so far and thats not mentioning what they will spend next off season with Matthews and Marner. It really leaves little to help with backup goalie and D.

29 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

I'm feeling a Caps repeat or a Vegas win. Anyone who thinks Toronto is insane. Their D is suspect at best. Spending all that money on Offense so far and thats not mentioning what they will spend next off season with Matthews and Marner. It really leaves little to help with backup goalie and D.

Meh, the D isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. The forwards are a matchup nightmare, and Sparks will be cheap for the next couple seasons. 

Getting rid of Bozak, JVR and Polak improves the D by a ton as well. 

People can can sleep on them if they want, but they’re going to have a big year. 

38 minutes ago, Quik said:

Meh, the D isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. The forwards are a matchup nightmare, and Sparks will be cheap for the next couple seasons. 

Getting rid of Bozak, JVR and Polak improves the D by a ton as well. 

People can can sleep on them if they want, but they’re going to have a big year. 

They will score lots of goals. But that D is not even top 10 in the league. It will get worse after this season when they need to shell out 10+ for Matthews and probably 7-8 for Marner. Nylander still hasn't gotten his obvious raise. When you spend that kind of money you hurt other parts. D is hurt this season, Anderson will show the same chinks in his armor like he did last season. Sparks won't be good enough to play a ton of games. Sure you can rush up the ice and create chances and what not but when your D coughs up the puck, not fast enough to get back they will create quality scoring chances for their opponents. They will not win the cup. 1st round exist again. Which will make your young GM think maybe the past guys spent too much on Forwards