VHL Portal: Team Management

Will

• Senior Admin

Team Management

It's been quite awhile since I gave you a big Portal update! That's because this one is by the far the largest and most complex addition to the Portal to date - this is the Team Management system. As you might guess, this all about managing teams. It's very comprehensive and covers pretty much all aspects of roster management, finances, contracts and transactions. Obviously some of this will be for GM-use only, so I'm going to break it up by GM and public stuff.

This system hugely cuts down on a TON of administrative tasks. Finances are 100% automatically generated, draft picks are automatically tracked as they are traded, players are moved between teams automatically, ect. Not only is this a huge benefit to the people actually doing these tasks, but really everyone because everything will be assured to be up-to-date. I also think it will be a great simple and streamlined system for our new members - for example when a VHLM team makes them an offer to join their team, they get a notification that leads them straight to their Contract Management page where they can accept/decline an offer.

For General Manager's

Both VHL & VHLM GM's will have access to a Team Management page, the hub of the new system. This area allows them to manage their rosters in all respects: offer contracts/bonuses, release players, send-downs/callups, conduct trades with other teams, sign players through FA and set their trade block, which is visible to other GM's. 

The system is fully integrated with the Forum's notification system - GM's get notifications when they receive a trade offer, players get notified when they get a contract offer or they're traded or they're released or they're drafted - everything. Our friendly @VHL Bot will also take care of posting trade and FA threads on the forum, to facilitate forum discussion. 

Virtually all rules/processes are built-in and automatic. For example, for VHL GM's, Inactive FA's priority ranking and 12 hour claim limits are fully enforced and automated. When Trades are made during the season, the appropriate salary percentage is automatically retained. If a player has an NTC, the player will get a notification to waive/deny it and the trade won't be processed until it's waived. Basically I've done what I could to leave no stone un-turned here. 

For Everyone

Contract Management

Everyone now has a 'My Contract' button in their Player Mgmt area. This area allows players to manage all things contract: it's where you will accept/decline extensions or FA offers, waive or deny NTC's, and pickup or decline Options. 

Drafts (Use the VHL/VHLM button to switch leagues)

One of the coolest parts, in my opinion. I already mentioned that the Draft Pick tracker is fully automated. What I didn't mention is that Draft's themselves will be conducted on the Portal via a generated and live-updating draft board. I've set up the S63 drafts for you to take a look at - when drafts are open, the board will update automatically every 15 seconds as GM's make selections. Player's are removed from the available players list as they are picked. Additionally, commish's are able to make picks on teams behalf's in case they need to send a list. There's also a handy function to automatically BPA a pick. 

As you would expect, players are automatically added to rosters as they are picked. 

Free Agency (Use the VHL/VHLM button to switch leagues)

When FA is open, you can navigate Free Agency and see all the offers player's have received. When Free Agency is closed, a list of upcoming Free Agents is shown. 

Trades (Use the VHL/VHLM button to switch leagues)

Another cool part is the trade log. I think it has a fairly nice display to it, and when the VHL Bot makes the forum post, the URL is added to the trade - making it easy to go to the Forum and view the discussion on that particular trade. 

New Team Pages

Team Pages have been overhauled and are looking much cleaner. You can view each teams rosters, draft picks, and transactions. For VHL teams, you can also view their Finance sheet. You might notice team pages are missing some of the team stats and stuff that they used to have - these will be coming back, but now that Teams actually exist as a Portal DB record, I need to reconfigure some of the stats to link with teams directly. 

Overall, I think this is going to simplify things greatly, not just for us as the administrators but everyone. Having all this stuff stored in the Portal opens up a ton of possibilities for the future, some of which I may or may not already have plans for. Lastly, bit of a disclaimer, like I said - this is far and away the largest and most complex piece of the Portal. I've done pretty substantial testing but you know, issues are inevitable, so if anything comes up just let me know and I'll get it fixed as soon as possible. 

Other than that, if you have any questions, ask them here. :cheers: 

• Senior Admin
Just now, Sonnet said:

Gorgeous update. Everything looks clean, and anything you could ever want to know is super easy to find. Awesome job on this one!

Thank you! 

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, Bushito said:

All the search bars don't work,

son of a.....

6 minutes ago, Bushito said:

also player pages should list TPA for contract purposes

they do

on the far right of Player Ratings

16 minutes ago, Will said:

Looks like its fixed. Don't know what I did exactly, but I'll take it.

Do we know when depreciation will be done, roughly?

@Will I was just looking at the trades, holy shit how late were you up doing this?

Also, Toronto should have Seattle’s 64 1st as well lol

Oh, and it looks like S62 playoffs were loaded twice lol

Edited by Quik

• Senior Admin
21 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Do we know when depreciation will be done, roughly?

Done

13 minutes ago, Quik said:

@Will I was just looking at the trades, holy shit how late were you up doing this?

Quite. I'm an hour ahead of eastern soo...

14 minutes ago, Quik said:

Also, Toronto should have Seattle’s 64 1st as well lol

ty

14 minutes ago, Quik said:

Oh, and it looks like S62 playoffs were loaded twice lol

Nah they were loaded once, it's just showing the loaded copy and the 'current season' copy..one will disappear when I change the season. 

• Will featured this topic
  • Will unfeatured this topic