[S64] Brett Slobodzian Trophy Voting

omgitshim

S64 Brett Slobodzian Trophy Voting  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Enorama said:

Recency bias. If you want to make sure people don't take playoffs into consideration, hold the vote before playoffs start. Easy answer.

Honestly not wrong, we probably should move it but it’s always been in the off-season. It does only list regular season stats though.

1 hour ago, Devise said:

Yeah I don't really see any biased grouping in terms of "buddies" voting here. Thompson's overall game I think overshadows Stopko. Led the league in points, goals, tons of hits. 

Stopkos lead in save percentage while impressive is all he really had stats wise. In general GAA was still up this season from what we have seen from outstanding goalie performances. I do think Stopko has far more of an argument for MVP but yeah this one will shake out weird because outside of maybe that recency bias mentioned, also are a few candidates you could argue for. 

Yeah I guess I just think it’s impressive that the difference from last so second best sv% is .07 but the difference from second best to Stopko is .10 that’s quite a massive difference in this league

1 hour ago, Devise said:

Yeah I don't really see any biased grouping in terms of "buddies" voting here. Thompson's overall game I think overshadows Stopko. Led the league in points, goals, tons of hits. 

Stopkos lead in save percentage while impressive is all he really had stats wise. In general GAA was still up this season from what we have seen from outstanding goalie performances. I do think Stopko has far more of an argument for MVP but yeah this one will shake out weird because outside of maybe that recency bias mentioned, also are a few candidates you could argue for. 

Yeah I guess I just think it’s impressive that the difference from last so second best sv% is .07 but the difference from second best to Stopko is .10 that’s quite a massive difference in this league

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Which is why I think you take the Shaw without a doubt. It's just tougher to compare for the Slobo because we need to compare goalie stats against forward and defence stats. Personally while I think your stats are good (especially compared to the other goalies) I don't think they hold up as well as Myself for goals, points, and hits or Arroyo for goals and points or Malenko for points as a D man. It's nothing personal, it's just a tough sell for the slobo. I think if the Shaw doesn't go your way people are crazy.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bushito said:

There they go influencing awards when the buddies are losing

Lol Beketov is no more my buddy than you are.

.930 save % is good but I never look at it against other goalies in a specific season, its how good is .930 historically? And it's towards the top but not unreal.

13 minutes ago, Victor said:

Lol Beketov is no more my buddy than you are.

.930 save % is good but I never look at it against other goalies in a specific season, its how good is .930 historically? And it's towards the top but not unreal.

Funny you compare goalie historically but skaters by this season alone because comparably none of the skaters are any more impressive than Stopko historically 

• Admin
29 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Funny you compare goalie historically but skaters by this season alone because comparably none of the skaters are any more impressive than Stopko historically 

No Thompson wasn't an unbelievable season either. But Stopko was just a good save percentage really. Thompson had more things he excelled at.

2 hours ago, Enorama said:

Recency bias. If you want to make sure people don't take playoffs into consideration, hold the vote before playoffs start. Easy answer.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

Honestly not wrong, we probably should move it but it’s always been in the off-season. It does only list regular season stats though.

Yeah it probably should be moved up to before the end of playoffs. I just looked at when it was posted the last couple seasons and copied that.

13 minutes ago, Victor said:

No Thompson wasn't an unbelievable season either. But Stopko was just a good save percentage really. Thompson had more things he excelled at.

What else is really going to impress you for goalies? A lack of SOs and GAA is more of a marker of team skill. SV% is the only figure that relies mostly on the goalie's performance.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

Yeah I see sv% as the only thing that really matters for goaltenders or at least far and away the most important stat, always have. I think comparing goaltenders to other seasons is pretty silly with how much the league changes. But that’s just my opinion on it

32 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Yeah I see sv% as the only thing that really matters for goaltenders or at least far and away the most important stat, always have. I think comparing goaltenders to other seasons is pretty silly with how much the league changes. But that’s just my opinion on it

By that logic, it wouldn't make sense to compare players to other seasons either. I'm fine with that though, we're talking about someone who literally 'stood out' this season. That was Stopko for me, even in the regular season. Thompson didn't stand out to me because he was surrounded by plenty others doing well on the Seattle squad. I get that that brings us dangerously into MVP =/= MOP territory, but that's just what it takes to 'stand out' to me.

I think part of it is that MOP tends to be slanted towards skaters than goalie's inheritly, similar to how NFL MVP is typically QB and MLB MVP are hitters (that's the logic behind having separate Goalie and Defender awards but only the 2-way for Forwards). So it ends up turning into a best skater award unless a goalie goes above and beyond against a weak class of skaters.

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Enorama said:

By that logic, it wouldn't make sense to compare players to other seasons either. I'm fine with that though, we're talking about someone who literally 'stood out' this season. That was Stopko for me, even in the regular season. Thompson didn't stand out to me because he was surrounded by plenty others doing well on the Seattle squad. I get that that brings us dangerously into MVP =/= MOP territory, but that's just what it takes to 'stand out' to me.

And everyone is allowed to have an opinion on the matter. I'd argue it's pushed slightly past the MVP =/= MOP Line but I have a different opinion than you on the matter.

Stopko definitely deserves some votes. Personally I'd place him 4th but that's just me. Shaw and Kanou he's #1 without a doubt in my mind but not Slobo.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, omgitshim said:

I think part of it is that MOP tends to be slanted towards skaters than goalie's inheritly, similar to how NFL MVP is typically QB and MLB MVP are hitters (that's the logic behind having separate Goalie and Defender awards but only the 2-way for Forwards). So it ends up turning into a best skater award unless a goalie goes above and beyond against a weak class of skaters.

The history of the award does definitely show that. I think goalies have won it somewhere around 10 times since it was brought in during S11. I say around because I don't fully recall the positions of every name in there but I think it's 10 or 11.

Point is skaters do tend to take the Slobo because it's harder for a goalie to stand out as most outstanding. It happens and I do think Stopko had a great season but I don't think he was the best player in the league.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

The history of the award does definitely show that. I think goalies have won it somewhere around 10 times since it was brought in during S11. I say around because I don't fully recall the positions of every name in there but I think it's 10 or 11.

Point is skaters do tend to take the Slobo because it's harder for a goalie to stand out as most outstanding. It happens and I do think Stopko had a great season but I don't think he was the best player in the league.

You can relax now, the award is won

Most outstanding player if not Stopko was definitely Malenko. The forwards don’t really have anything setting themselves apart. It’s a popularity contest and nothing more

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Bushito said:

You can relax now, the award is won

I’m plenty relaxed. I got the two awards I was stressing about locked already. I honestly look at everything else as just extra if I get it.