MAN It's Been A Minute

MAN It’s Been A Minute

-Chicago, IL

Image result for hockey pictures

I can’t even remember when my last player was around, Season 40, maybe 42?  The last active one, anyways (Our Lady of Perpetual Motion aside haha)…  So yeah, it’s been a few years since I’ve been around.  Quite a few things have changed, assuming for the better, and the site generally seems to be integrated substantially.  Hoping to give it another go with some additional free time this summer.  

What Have You Been Up To?

Drinking, mostly.  Traveling to different countries (primarily Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica), buying a condo (it is really expensive to rent here), and FINALLY moving up to a sales position.  I bought a new bike yesterday, which is pretty neat, cause commuting in the city between neighborhoods sucks ass.  LOTS of intramural sports, primarily volleyball and softball.  I started going to Orange Theory a couple years ago and am really into it.  If you haven’t tried it or HIIT in general, I’d suggest it.  Went to Jacksonville a month ago to attend the Rockville music festival; if you like hard rock or metal, I’d definitely recommend it.

What Is Your Experience In Sim Leagues?

I think my first one was the ABL (long since defunct) in 2004-2005, somewhere in that time range.  From that came MSFL and the 8 or 9 subsequent attempts to try it again.  I think there’s been a few basketball leagues in there that lasted for a month or so.  VHL for me started in… 2011 I think.  Season 18 with Tarik Saeijs (my only hall of famer I believe).  I have had 3 other players since then if I remember correctly (Byer, Blacker and the great OLOPM).

Who Is Your Next Player?

Charles Drumm, who is an Aussie defenseman.  I’d like to try and emulate what Byer was before I randomly decided to retire him after 5 seasons (I recall Victor aka alfie being salty about that for some reason).  At this point, anyways, my plan is to make him a defensive-oriented defenseman.  I haven’t really thought much about my plans with him outside of that.  

image.jpeg.34b567348afb53ce5450b0ef32d986f0.jpeg

What Do You Hope To Gain From Becoming Active Again?

I don’t think I will ever be much of a poster on the forums again, certainly not like I have been (mostly with the demise of grading).  Certainly the addition of Discord as a forum will increase my general activity since it opens upon start-up of my computer.  But I would say probably community, if I had to pick one thing.  It’s a fun group of people to chat with, and sales can have lulls, especially in the summer months.  I don’t particularly expect to write articles every week (I will eventually forget to), but it’s definitely fun to write these.

How Many Baseball Stadiums Have You Been To?

Oh let’s see here, I think 12?  Both Chicago stadiums, both LA stadiums, Milwaukee, Baltimore, NYY, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Cincinnati, and Oakland.  I’ve been inside both Fenway and AT&T Park (San Francisco) but have not attended games at either.  Maybe I’ll try to visit all 30 after I visit every state (46 out of 50 so far).

What Books Are You Currently Reading?

I just finished Silicon States, which I would definitely recommend.  I’m a big fan of geopolitical books, and I find that big worldwide players like Amazon, Google, etc… and their influence (or lack thereof) in places like China, India and Africa can be astounding, considering the technological landscape the world is currently in.  I just started Lake Success, and we’ll see how that goes.  It came highly recommended but is more of a satirical fiction.  

What Is Your Favorite Beer?

It’s really hard to find here in the midwest but I’m a huge fan of red ales.

1 minute ago, Matt_O said:

What states haven't you visited?

Vermont, Connecticut, Alaska and New Mexico.  I'm hoping to snowboard New Mexico in the next year or so.

3 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

Vermont, Connecticut, Alaska and New Mexico.  I'm hoping to snowboard New Mexico in the next year or so.

What was your favorite state? I've been to seven (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Florida, Maryland)

13 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

What was your favorite state? I've been to seven (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Florida, Maryland)

I used to live in Oregon and that is still one of my favorite states.  I really like Utah as well,  although I haven't spent much time there.  

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Come to Toronto and we can catch a Game at the Skydome. I'll call @Smarch & @sterling to come out again. Maybe even @Knight will be there ;)

that sounds fun, I was in Ottawa last year but didn't have time to stretch the trip out

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

Come to Toronto and we can catch a Game at the Skydome. I'll call @Smarch & @sterling to come out again. Maybe even @Knight will be there ;)

My plan next summer is to have my bachelor party in Toronto during a blue jays homestand. If you around I will bug you to come 

48 minutes ago, Advantage said:

If you ever come back to Ottawa let me know.  Nice to see you back

Definitely will, one of my manufacturers is there and we have a bi-annual meeting up there... so perhaps next summer.