Theme PT, about Riga

hedgehog337

I'm feeling weird when doing this PT article. I'm feeling uncomfortable when I'll have to write about moments when wasn't even there. Right now I'm feeling like a wannabe boomer - want to flex my sim-league veteran status, but then here comes the realization that I'm not that of a veteran. If only a mid-school tier guy.

One day, I was wondering if I could be the best Riga GM this team ever had. This themed PT week is about to give me an answer. Ok, maybe not. I'm about to rank Riga GM's during S1-39 period as I joined the league in S41.

NOTE: @flyersfan1453 would be an a honorable mention. His tenure started in S40, but most of his GM reign coincided with my first days in this league. I'd say he would be ranked in the first half of rankings due to his championship in S40.

10. Nick Baretta

There are two GM's that wouldn't even survive one full season at the helm. But one day I was reading about the issues that happened with Riga in S20's. And apparently Nick just left the league without any notice. That's not good, so he's last.

9. Zach Crosby

Almost the same as with Baretta, only I don't know anything about him. So I guess he's lucky [?]

5.-8. Raymond Funk, Bryan Svec, Zack Gagnon and Kyle Dowd

All of them spent two seasons and never won anything. Now, I haven't done any research. Like trades, FA signings, their behavior in LR. That definitely could help me on more proper ranking. But as you can see, this is just an article for the sake of 12 TPE and nothing more. I read that Rockstar aka Goonie had some issues in Riga during his short GM tenure so he could be 8th here. But again, I don't know shit about any of their GM work there. So there's that.

4. Chris Julien

Just because he spent longer at a manager spot. Other than that, no wins either. I actually heard that he wasn't a good GM at all, but I can't find proofs for that. And maybe this statement isn't right so I'll just put him at 4.

3. Vladimir Kliment

Apparently he was a protege of Dustin Funk, at least that's what it was said in the ''40 in 40'' article. If that's true - well, he was a good schoolboy. One championship + one GM award in five seasons. Nice run.

2. Dustin Funk

Hard to tell who is better. Both of Funk and Mike could be considered as the legendary GM's for Riga. I just put Dustin as 2 cause his next two short comeback stints weren't that successful as his first one. Probably oldheads have other opinions on this, especially if they remember any deals and draftings that were done by both of them.

1. Mike Szatkowski

He was mentioned in the aforementioned ''Heavy Reign'' article as the man who turned it around for Riga after the rough decade. Also, he could reap the benefit of his work by winning one championship and two GM awards. Just as much as Dustin Funk, but being somewhat a savior of Riga in S30's was enough for me to put him at number one.

So this is my lil history themed rankings. Yeah.

members mentioned: @Mike @Strummer @Kyle @frescoelmo @iRockstar aka @InstantRockstar. I think only these are still in this forum, idk.

That's it and I'm out.

12 TPE to Randoms

Edited by hedgehog337

• Admin

My 40 in 40 article getting you through this ?

52 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

4. Chris Julien

Just because he spent longer at a manager spot. Other than that, no wins either. I actually heard that he wasn't a good GM at all

Yup

52 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

9. Zach Crosby

Almost the same as with Baretta, only I don't know anything about him. So I guess he's lucky [?]

Exactly the same I think, just up and left.

• Commissioner
55 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

I actually heard that he wasn't a good GM at all, but I can't find proofs for that

I had to demand a trade off of Stockholm in S3 because Julien was intentionally benching me behind a CPU Goalie to prove a point. I don’t remember what that point was but I wasn’t pleased about it.