Web-Site Ideas

Mike

I've spent the last week refreshing HTML/CSS/jQuery/Javascript/PHP and a good 30 hours of programming to help get myself back into the swing of things.  Now I need a super web-site idea to make a ton of money the only few remotely feasible ideas I've come up with is a social network for gamers, a totally free dating site, and an entertainment web-site for finding something to do in your area.  Looking for ideas and if I get serious into it i'd take on help.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you guys were no help but someone I play league of legends with had the basic idea for a new web-site and after hours on skype we've crafted an idea that I think will be fun.  Started working on the web-site today heres the navigation I've come up with so far what do ya think?  Considering I'm not a big photoshop person and never make sigs I think it looks pretty sweet.

Nav_Test.png

Edited by Mike

thats good stuff Mike. so whats your new website going to be about 

The idea is League of Legends meets VHL for instance (or any major pro sports league).  When you signup to our site you can choose to become a GM and create your own team or you can be a regular player and participate in organized league of legend events.  The league format will be a 7 round inaugural draft 5 main players and 2 subs.  Just like any GM you can trade draft picks, players, release players, sign free agents, and so on.  If you make the playoffs and are one of the best teams in the league your team gets promoted to a higher tier and if you are one of the worst teams in your league you get demoted to a lower tier.

For Instance

1 Pro League

2 Semi-Pro Leagues

4 Minor Leagues 

8 Rookie Leagues

During the off-season a GM can only send out "contracts" or keep up to 5 of the players on his roster.  The remaining players will go back into a pool to be either redrafted or as free agents.  Since each team can only keep a max of 5 members each off-season will have a 2 round draft.  Also teams will be able to win prizes hopefully cash/gear if we get a big enough following revenue.  Worst case probably Riot Points/Skins/ETc.

Edited by Mike

Getting the site to look OK and setup only takes like a week or less depending on motivation.  From there though its actually coding the database stuff and trying to create the actual system from scratch could take a long time could even get stuck along the way and give up but making good progress right now.

Great idea, Mike. If I could offer a few suggestions.

1. For the rollover bar, I think it would look a little better if the selected button was lighter than the non-selected button (right now it's light blue as default, and then a purple when cursor is on).

2. For the section where there's LOL pics, try duplicating the layer, setting the top to overlay, and play around with the bottom layer at a Gaussian Blur. It might make it look a little less pixelated (ie: low resolution).

3. I love the social media rollovers. However it looks like the "zoomed" up version is too stretched out. It's probably due to enlarging a smaller pic. You can fix by just grabbing a bigger version of the logo and just shrinking it to the "zoomed" in size.

Other than that, great design and idea.

1) ya I'll try that the red was carry over from original darker gray

2) I have been playing with changes to that I'll try your idea and see what it looks like I may remove the smaller icons of a bunch if champs and feature 2 champions fighting so that's still a work in progress

3) those are a bit weird I had huge images to start with reduced them for the base social media and when I decided to do rollover I didn't get new high res to do effect quick fix

Haven't fixed STZ's solutions yet but todays project was make a working slider which will be on the main page showing some latest news and things like make sure to subscribe to youtube/twitch/etc.  I haven't made the images for it yet just making the slider work.

http://lolwpl.com/test/slider/demo1.html

• 2 weeks later...

http://lolwpl.com/test/

So the header and footer have been updated with new social media rollover buttons and the contact page works though Its not finished.  The stream page has also been started and in the upper right you can actually login if you have the pre-made username/password.  I just got a signup page started and it works so things are moving forward.  Really happy with the progress so far.

• 4 weeks later...

So while we aren't close to being done on this yet there is now a working signup page,login page, and logout page.  In the next steps the actual core of the site players/leagues/teams will be getting formed as well as the ability to edit your profile.  Also working on integrating a forum to use the signup page's info as the forums login so once you log into the site you are also automatically logged into the forum.  Also want the forum to look like its part of the site and not some random message board within a site or a new window to a different page to get to forum.