The rising teams of S69

studentized

Another season over, another VHL.com post looking at team TPA growth. The chart compares end of regular season TPAs from S68 to S69.

teamGrowth.thumb.png.3c45f4794749ad76749e5dbe71a2bee5.png

Risers:

1) D.C Dragons  (+3157)

D.C edges out Prague as the expansion team with the most growth. Not unexpected at all that they sit at #1 and #2 considering where they came from.

2) Prague Phantoms (+2127)

Both expansion teams grew to a point where next year's playoffs are possible. At the end of S69 they sit at 6719 and 6574 respectively.

3) Seattle Bears (+1639)

Easily the most impressive growth number. Seattle becomes the first team ever to eclipse 10,000 total team TPA by regular seasons end.

4) New York Americans (+1527)

Not far behind, and almost as impressive considering their trades, is NY. Solid drafting starting to pay off with a bunch of S68 guys all sticking together.

5) Calgary Wranglers (+1065)

This was the biggest surprise to me personally, just based on my perceptions of the teams. Calgary probably should have made the playoffs this year...

6) Malmo Nighthawks (+442)

Another surprise to me. Losing Matt Thompson means a lot of TPA needed to overcome, but they did it.

7) Vancouver Wolves (+313)
Second best team in the league and still getting better. Vancouver did a good job.

Fallers:

8 ) Riga Reign (-191)
practically no change. When you are already a top team, small change is a good thing.

9) Helsinki Titans (-308)
A smaller loss than I expected, but once you rank around 9th, relative loss compared to the rest of the league is more worrying than the absolute loss itself.

10) Toronto Legion (-308)
Same number as Helsinki, and same comment applies. Beginning of a decline for these two very good S60's franchises?

11) Moscow Menace (-580)
Lot's of change for Moscow. They were the #1 S68 team TPA team, so this loss doesn't hurt as much as it might look.

12) HC Davos Dynamo (-4576)
lol

VHL as a whole (+4307 => +358 per team)
Is this due to having more members or more TPE handouts? Not sure, but this number doesn't seem too worrying on the inflation front either way, so that's good.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, studentized said:

Lot's of change for Moscow. They were the #1 S68 team TPA team, so this loss doesn't hurt as much as it might look.

Of note: they did lose the highest TPE player of all time between S68 and S69 so....

14 hours ago, studentized said:

4) New York Americans (+1527)

Not far behind, and almost as impressive considering their trades, is NY. Solid drafting starting to pay off with a bunch of S68 guys all sticking together.

I like the wording of that. And yeah, I think we have a couple of really good seasons ahead of us.