Fonzi's Corner: The Organization with only First Generational Players

fonziGG

despicable me hello GIF

Today's topic is going to be deep within the realm of the VHLM. A team, pretty much filled with first generational players. Players that have never played in the VHL before. They have never felt true glory nor have they felt true pain (I still cry about my only finals appearance). We're diving into the Mexico City Kings organization. Mexico City has been a fun destination for new members and this is why it's such a fun time to break down their current team construct.

When I say that this team is full of first generation players, I'm not joking at all. Seriously, this is going to be a fun ride into the sunset, are you ready to take the journey?

Goalies

Let's start off with their goalies. This season, Zamboni has been running the show with 17 starts and 18 games played which is a mouth watering amount. Of those 17 starts, he's had 11 wins and 6 losses on his record. What makes Zamboni so special is that he's posting a very solid 90% save percentage and a 1.88 goals against average. He's among one of the best goalies in the league at the moment and is currently tied with Grekkark Gyrfalcon (goalie of the Saskatoon Wild). What really helps his case is the fact that he's faced 352 shots so far however, he's been right there when called upon for Mexico City.

Defensemen

Viktor Alexei Kamenov. At a whopping 6'8" and staggering 210 lbs. This man is built like a truck and has been doing so in Mexico. What a load of hunk. He's come back to Mexico City as a blue chip prospect (rights belong to Malmo) and he's been doing everything right on the ice so far. He's at exactly a point a game with 8 goals and 10 assists in 18 games. In 18 games, he's been incredible responsible with 10 penalties as well. What he truly excels at is being an anchor on the power play as well with 8 goals (2nd in the league to do so far) and 1 assist. Seriously, Viktor has been doing some work so far in Mexico and has been a huge star on their defensive core. Mr. Clutch has also put in 3 game winning goals as well which puts him 4th in the league for that.

The next big defensemen they have is Chance Rust. The 6'5" 225 lb monster of a defender has been a defensive anchor on the roster. While he's not in the top charts for anything this season, he's been such an important piece for this roster. With 1 goal and 12 assists for 13 points in 18 games has been a great secondary scorer on the blue line for the team. He's also had 22 hits and 23 shots blocked so he's truly working on both sides of the ice.

Surrounding these 2 main anchors on the are Nolan McNalley and Joe Jacks. Each of these two have been growing at a very steady rate and have been such a huge part of this defense as well. This defense will be strong for years to come, especially since these two are committed to the organization and could be apart of the team for a while!

Forwards

Chris Hylands. The main man, the star forward of this team. He's racked up 8 goals and 7 assists for 15 points in 18 games with a +/- of 9. Chris has the star ability to make for a brilliant player in the VHL and while he's not the lighting the league on fire, he has the fire in his belly and potential to make him an absolute stud for years to come. It looks like he'll be joining his teammate, Viktor Alexei Kamenov, over in Malmo after this season as well!

Blake Bridges is another top young man on the Mexico City Kings. With 15 points as well, he's put up 6 goals and 9 assists so he's been a great source of scoring and offense. Blake has been a huge physical presence with 21 hits as well. He could be a bit better, however he's been showing a strong presence to improve every single day and game. He's looking to be a strong member of the team for years to come.

Another big anchor on the offensive anchor is Arthur Dayne. Arthur Dayne has been an absolute lick, in my personal opinion. Arthur has put up a solid 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points, being the main anchor on this team, offensively speaking. Arthur has also dished out a lot of hits for his size (25 hits on the season) considering his stature sits at around 6 foot tall at 203 lbs. Arthur has the mold to be an offensive weapon for the future and reminds me of a younger and a bit smaller version of Mikko Aaltonen. 

Summary

All of which have been working well within the system. The entire team has been awesome to see playing to well defensively. With around 102 shots blocked and 410 hits, this team has been extremely strong on the ice and has been supporting Zamboni Driver quite a bit. I think they need to work on their special teams however as they have a 79.78 penalty kill % (ranks them at 5th in the league) as well as a 22.06 power play % (ranks them 7th in the league). This could prove to be the pivotal factor in driving them higher in the ranking.