Is it worth the sacrifice?

Ricer13

I have built Miami over two seasons to become a juggernaut. I drafted valuable members last season that would be in Miami for two seasons in hopes they would be key pieces for this seasons cup run. After last season we have a ton of top picks in the draft so we began to fill out our roster with top players to create some serious depth. After that I made moves to bring in even more depth to help bring us to the promise land but is it worth it?

I am struggling to wonder if having so much talent on one roster is a good thing for the league or not. Yes we have a great chance to be champions but that is never a guarantee. The sacrifice each player is making to share ice time with one another to win a championship is big but is it worth it if they aren’t having fun? Having so many players who are elite getting less ice time is causing everyone’s production to be less but more evenly spread across the board. Yes it is a team game but it is only the VHLM right? Should players be put in a position to feel good about themselves so they want to stick around longer or does the idea of being a champion in the VHLM make them want to stick around longer?  

That is something I am still trying to learn as a young GM.

By far you have done a fantastic job with this team. Although some people may say that they are having a hard time with their ice time, you have made the Marauders locker room a great place that’s a ton of fun! Keep up the good work, I really enjoy being a part of your team!

Best advice - get in touch with your players. Anyone can speculate on whether or not they're having fun, but you're able to talk to them and see for yourself whether that's the case.

In my experience, most people are cool with fitting into a team's plans, and if you haven't had anyone complaining to you about their situation you likely have nothing to worry about.

Speaking as a player on this squad who is feeling the effects of the sim's production crunch I say this with complete sincerity; It's nothing you've done wrong. Any team with a build this strong is going to have some personal player struggles when it comes to production. The league and especially the M is so heavily focused on building active players/members for the community that individual performance will only push some select minority of players. I happen to be one those individuals who hopes to have my player do good numbers, but I'm the oddity to the rule, not the example of it. I will always have a competitive streak towards myself and that breaks beyond colors, teams, or GMs. That's a personal drive that I have to adjust to and make strides in.

You've done an amazing job as a GM. You've built a juggernaut of a club. We are a tight group even in Discord. You've done a GMOTY quality job. When it comes to a player's happiness with a particular situation the player, not the GM has to ask themselves, would I rather be on a potential championship team where maybe my production isn't best in a league where that doesn't really have any effect? Or do I want to take a chance on my points on a team that maybe won't be in that position come playoffs' end? And especially in my case I can say, maybe there's something to be said about setting personal expectations a little too high for things you can't personally control... That's something the players have to manage. You as the GM, have done a fantastic job. 

For what it's worth, I'm happy to be in Miami and I'm happy to be in the lockeroom with this team that you've built. I feel it's a team that could be talked about for a long time in this league and I'm glad you selected me in the VHLM draft.

3 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

The sacrifice each player is making to share ice time with one another to win a championship is big but is it worth it if they aren’t having fun?

ask them, not us. I traded a player away last season because he didn't want to be on the 3rd line

17 minutes ago, Garsh said:

tenor.gif

dx3RG4R.png

yeah, I agree. To get all these great players that can make an immediate impact, you'll have to sacrifice something. Keep it up Ricer! Get all the players on board with your plan for the team, and if they aren't happy with it, I guess a trade out is one of the ways. But I doubt that people will disagree with your plan 

I'll take the reduction in points in the M any day if it means a shot at the championship. I'm a contributing member of a great team, and it feels good. The guys are cool to be around, too, which is important to me. If the LR was bad, and the team didn't care to improve, then I wouldn't be having fun. But I am!