SEA/QUE ; S38

Mr. Grumpy Bear

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep legally you can't have future picks in the trade technically this is void

It's not a future pick, he traded a present pick with a gentleman's agreement for their future selection.

It's not a future pick, he traded a present pick with a gentleman's agreement for their future selection.

It's essentially the same thing.

I didn't want to raise the point in this trade since it's not really a secret that every team does this, but what exactly is the point of that rule then?

It's essentially the same thing.

I didn't want to raise the point in this trade since it's not really a secret that every team does this, but what exactly is the point of that rule then?

Point of the rule is to avoid trading future selections several years in a row. What is wrong with a gentleman's agreement that they chose to make public? I fail to see a significant issue here.

Point of the rule is to avoid trading future selections several years in a row. What is wrong with a gentleman's agreement that they chose to make public? I fail to see a significant issue here.

What is the difference between straight up trading say your S40 1st round pick and S41 2nd round pick in a deal in S38 or trading two 3rds in S38 and then swapping those 3rds for the pics mentioned earlier?

And again, I don't have a problem with this deal, since like I said, everyone does it, but I don't get why we have that rule in place then.

What is the difference between straight up trading say your S40 1st round pick and S41 2nd round pick in a deal in S38 or trading two 3rds in S38 and then swapping those 3rds for the pics mentioned earlier?

Absolutely nothing, but one is abiding by the trading rules, while the other is not. We are going to formulate a new rule that negates all gentleman agreements? It happens several times per season. The rule is perfectly fine as placed currently from my perspective.

Absolutely nothing, but one is abiding by the trading rules, while the other is not. We are going to formulate a new rule that negates all gentleman

agreements? It happens several times per season. The rule is perfectly fine as placed currently from my perspective.

That's exactly my point. Both cases have the same end result, so why do teams have to go through this little dance then? Might as well just let teams trade any future pick instead of the 2 season in advance rule we have now.

That's exactly my point. Both cases have the same end result, so why do teams have to go through this little dance then? Might as well just let teams trade any future pick instead of the 2 season in advance rule we have now.

You know damn well if we lifted that rule, trading would get incredibly out of hand by some teams.

http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/7791-colrig-s37-off-season/

I brought it up last season, lol. What's good for Riga is not good for all.

Which is part of the reason I wasn't going to bring it up in this thread. Like I said, I don't have a problem with this trade, just don't get why we even bother having the rule if we allow trades like these.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying don't put a condition in, just make the swap later without anyone knowing and consequently making a big deal out of trading a future pick :P

The second year in a row where the market is terrible for sellers... Makes me wonder if this is a trend that will continue and what implications it should have, since  we actually seem to be getting close to a point where we actually have too many active/high TPE-players for the non-rebuilding teams to fit under the cap.

And yeah, just loosen the rules on trading future picks a bit. Don't do away with them entirely so that teams could go beserk with their picks, but allow for them to be traded one more year in advance than they can now.

The second year in a row where the market is terrible for sellers... Makes me wonder if this is a trend that will continue and what implications it should have, since  we actually seem to be getting close to a point where we actually have too many active/high TPE-players for the non-rebuilding teams to fit under the cap.

And yeah, just loosen the rules on trading future picks a bit. Don't do away with them entirely so that teams could go beserk with their picks, but allow for them to be traded one more year in advance than they can now.

From my experience, markets develop through trends, and who can realistically compete. In this current season, I would say the market is dry for the aforementioned reasons. First, several teams have established their core, and few teams are just initiating their rebuild like Quebec. Second, and perhaps more importantly, teams realistically understand that New York will be incredibly difficult to defeat, and would prefer to not offer major assets to slightly improve their already daunting odds. This truly hurts Quebec, because they are the only team willing to sell off legitimate pieces, but few teams are vigorously attacking the market. Tough break for them, and Frank HAD to get something for pieces that are expiring.  

Edited by Seth