SEA/QUE ; S38

Mr. Grumpy Bear

• Admin

I understand your though process, and I concur; lines play a significant role within the playoffs. However, just based off logic, and probability, a fringe team (one good enough to make the playoffs, but perhaps not compete) will nonetheless not empty the bank for a rental. Especially when the odds are heavily against such an upset, regardless of lines.

Perhaps this argument simply stems from differentiating trading philosophies.

I wasn't talking about fringe teams. Fringe teams don't buy much in any season. And in any case, this season we don't even have fringe teams. 6 teams competing, 4 not.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about fringe teams. Fringe teams don't buy much in any season. And in any case, this season we don't even have fringe teams. 6 teams competing, 4 not.

5 seasons ago, with a slightly thinner spread of talent, a team with my current roster might have been a fringe team, and might have only been a handful of points from the playoff line

From my experience, markets develop through trends, and who can realistically compete. In this current season, I would say the market is dry for the aforementioned reasons. First, several teams have established their core, and few teams are just initiating their rebuild like Quebec. Second, and perhaps more importantly, teams realistically understand that New York will be incredibly difficult to defeat, and would prefer to not offer major assets to slightly improve their already daunting odds. This truly hurts Quebec, because they are the only team willing to sell off legitimate pieces, but few teams are vigorously attacking the market. Tough break for them, and Frank HAD to get something for pieces that are expiring.  

The thing is that this is not something that only happened this season due to very special circumstances, but something that also happened last year and that we will probably see over the next few seasons as well. When I traded Taylor and Spud last season, two absolute top players on their respective positions, there was only one team who could even afford them. And our goalie Chekhov even ended up retiring because there wasn't a single team that had room for a goalie, even when I was willing to give him away for free. Now this year Quebec was selling and had almost no leverage as well, because there was no real market.

Do you really think this will change next season, because I have my doubts. New York isn't ecactly getting weaker and right now now noother top team seems to be forced to enter a rebuild and/or open up a lot of cap-space. And even if teams like Riga, Seattle or Toronto decide to sell and start a rebuild, who do they sell to? Helsinki and Cologne had a ton of picks over the last few seasons and will have pretty full rosters very soon, so who else does this leave but Calgary and maybe one of the contenders?  We could actually end up with 2-3 teams willing to sell and just one real buyer, who isn't that close to competing either and might not be that interested in sacrificing a lot of futures for established players. We could be looking at the third bad year for sellers in a row, which I think is the point where we should at least start to look into that matter.

The fringiest of teams (Seattle, Riga) are the ones who have bought, if even just a little bit, because they could.

Because Vasteras kept low balling the shit out of me.

#fuckvasteras

Also because I wouldn't waive for Vasty, that's the only reason I have a NTC in the first place lol.

I <3 you kyle

that's some old school VHL talk right there