Claiming GM Players and why the system needs to change.

Peace

I'll be the first to admit I was probably the first GM to actually use this system when I selected Erik Killinger with Calgary's pick in the S71 VHL Entry Draft, if it happened before then I wasn't aware of it or I simply wasn't paying enough attention to notice it, but there's a new common trend with these claimable players that essentially ignores why GM players were removed in the first place. I believe the system behind claiming your own player as a general manager of a VHL team become an abusable system I really hope the Board of Governors (BoG) are actively discussing, which I have only seen some updates from the BoG update threads occasionally posted.

The abuse of this system is tanking the value of the draft, and in my personal opinion the legitimacy of the intent behind the 'spirit of competition' rule. Some VHL general managers -- you know who you are -- will trade into the first round of the draft for the sole purpose of picking their player at the latest pick possible. It's happened already a few times, and I guarantee you it is going to happen again this draft. There are currently four GM players in the pool, do you think they're going to go at the teams native picks? 

Damn unlikely. Possible, but I know they're going to try to push it back even further. 

There's going to be many trades where teams with GM players acquire a later first round pick, and that pick is going to be the one used to claim their own player. 

I'm not arguing for the system to be removed, not at all, but I am here to propose a new change. 

GM Players can only be selected with the teams native pick.

This won't stop GM players from being claimed at 16th overall if the team that wins the championship also has a recreate in the entry draft, but it will absolutely stop people from abusing the system by forcing us (we the general managers) to keep our own pick for the purpose of adding our own player to the team. It will stop teams from having -- for example -- the first round pick and adding the fifteen overall in the first round just so they can select a amazing prospect on top of what is typically already a top five or higher prospect at fifteenth too. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.   

• Commissioner
On 11/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, Peace said:

I'm not arguing for the system to be removed, not at all, but I am here to propose a new change. 

I mean I'd rather it be removed tbh. I was the one who proposed separating GM's from their players and never remotely wanted the auto-claim system in the first place. Certain past GM's (who shall remain nameless) complained until I conceded the auto-pick rule but I've never liked it.

Honestly the fairest solution is the simplest one: You want your player then draft him or trade for him like any other player. If you don't have a pick you think will be high enough to do that then trade up, like you would any other player.

In any case, this is being discussed with the BOG, has been for a bit now. It won't be implemented for this draft because that's not remotely fair for the GM's that already made their plans around it months ago but hopefully in time for S76.

there is no easy solution to this because gms will be salty no matter what. I am in the boat that GM's and their players should be different. they are not the same. Either, they get their player for no draft picks like how it was before we started to have to draft. or they enter the draft but they dont automatically go to their team. they have to be drafted. there is no room for middle ground in this because. either we are all in or all out with gm players.